Writing Books/word counts

Question
I've begun writing a novel that I've thought about for along time. There must be some kind of guideline to determine the number of (words) in an average size book. Say the size of a  Gresham novel. My first chapter has nearly 5,000 words but I can see that many of the other chapters will have much less. Is there an average number of words a publisher looks for?  

Answer
Hello Bob,

Do not concern yourself with the size of your book, the number of words or the number of chapters. Concern yourself only with the story. Use as many words as are necessary to tell the story and not one word more.  Get the story down in one rough draft. Do not edit, censor, think about structure, grammar or anything but the story. Let the characters show themselves when they are needed and let them help you write the story.

After you have completed the rough first draft, then go back and rewrite as many times as you need to balance, correct, structure, edit, cut and paste, and anything else you need to get the book presentable.

Worry about finding a publisher when that is accomplished.
Happy writing,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris