Writing Books/How do i write a book

I have been writing journals for a long time and many of my friends have told me that I need to write a book about my life experiences.I have always been an eloquent writer but I've never been able to focus enough to put the things in book context. Is it possible to take the journals and have someone write a book from them?

Hello Rebecca:

As you no doubt know, writing a book is very different from writing in a journal. It is indeed possible to hire someone to write the book from your journal, but it will be costly. If you have more money than time you might choose this route. Another detriment is that most "good" writers are too busy with their own writing to write for someone else, so you are bound to get an amateur, who might know less than you do about the process.

As for your inability to focus, it is difficult to tell what might be behind it. If it is habitual with you, you might be afflicted with ADD. Or perhaps you just aren't in the habit of focusing. To help you focus, do your work in a quiet place where you won't be disturbed. No phone, no TV, no people running in and out, just you and the MS.

I have a process for getting started with your book that seems to work for writers, but that will take another question.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 800 questions.

And good luck with your writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication