Writing Books/write a cookbook

I am interested in writing a cookbook.please can you guide me how i

should go about.

Dear Meera:

First, you need to decide what kind of cookbook, i.e. pastry, entrees, vegetarian, side dishes and so on.

Second, you should have about twenty recipes with directions and pictures of the finished product.

Third, then you need to look for an agent or publisher.  There's plenty of books on how to find an agent or publisher at your local library or your favorite on line or local bookstore.  You want to create a list of possible places to send your proposal making sure that they are willing to look at the type of cookbook you want to pitch.

Fourth, you need to write a book proposal that tells the prospective agent/publisher why your cookbook is different from all the other cookbooks out there and tell them how long it might take you to finish the book.  Again, there's plenty of material at your library, book store or on the web about writing book proposals.

Fifth when that's all ready, start sending out a query letter to all the people on your list asking them if they'd like to see your proposal.

When you get a positive response, send the book proposal out immediately and then wait patiently to hear back that the agent wants to represent you or the publisher wants to give you contract.

If it all sounds like a lot of work, it is.  But it's fun if you're really passionate about the book.  And, cookbooks just happen to be the best delling type of book being published.  Seems we just can't get enough of them!

Good luck!

Liz Aleshire

Writing Books

Liz Aleshire

What is a book proposal and why do I need one? Do I need a book proposal for both nonfiction and fiction books? How do I write a book proposal? What are the required components of a book proposal? What is an overview? What is a synopsis? How do I find out what other books are available on my topic so I can make my book different? How do I pitch to an agent/publisher? What's a query letter? What's a 30-second commercial?

I am the author of four nonfiction books: Private Lives of Ministers' Wives (with Rev. Sherry Taylor,New Horizon Press, New Jersey, 1991)and currently working on a second edition; Bugs: Stingers, Suckers, Sweeties, Swingers (a FRanklin Watts Frist Book, Chicago, 1993); The Confident Collector Identification and Price Guid to Quilts (with Kathleen Barach, Avon Books, NY, 1992); and, Official Price Guide to Quilts 2nd edition(with Kathleen Barach, Random House, NY, 2003.) I've taught How to Write the Book Proposal for the past ten years at the week long International Women's Writing Guild annual summer conference, and, at the Manchester Community College Continuing Education program. I've taught in many local continuing education programs in central Connecticut. Five authors have sold books using my methods for writing the book proposal. I have spoken at the Big Apple Conference, an IWWG event held in NYC; both Connecticut chapters of the Romance Writer's of America other writing conferences

Internation Women's Writing Guild, past associate member American Society of Journalists and Authors

Books for New Horizon Press. NJ; Franklin Watts (Now Scolastic)Danbury, CT; Avon Books, NYC; and, Random House, NYC

B.A in Economics from the University of Connecticut

Past/Present clients
Carren Strock, author Married Women Who Love Women; Doris Larson, travel writer, Ohio; MaryLou Streznewsi author Gifted Grownups.