Writing Books/my writing

I was looking on the Internet to find some answers about the way I write and what I should be writing but the help that is out there is broken at best but I read some of your answers to others questions and I figured you might be able to help me.

I am a poet and fantasy writer. I have been working on different novel ideas for many years. For as long as I can remember I always had this notion in my head to write so I thought if I don't do something with this I might just go mad. My problem is I find it easier to write poems then I do to work on my novels.  I find it hard to keep writing, I love to write but the doubts I have about my writing seem to creep into everything else I write bar my poetry. I have been told that I am a good writer and have had 1 or 2 articles published in my local paper. I guess my question is why do my doubts about my writing ability only come to the forefront when I am writing my novels. And is there anyway that I could beat this because i really feel that if I can then I can complete my novel and share the world that I created with readers some of whom might like the story that I am trying desperately to tell

Well, bear in mind that my answer is mostly speculation.  I certainly can't psychoanalyze you and tell you why your doubts are surfacing with fiction and not poetry.  

However...  poetry is often therapeutic.  We pour our emotions into our poems, and if you can't say anything else about them, at least you can say we're pretty sure of how we feel when we're writing poetry.  

Fiction, on the other hand, is different.  That's not to say we don't have emotions about our stories, but it's just not the same as our poetry.  Poetry is often a peek into our hearts; fiction... well, usually isn't.  So it's understandable that you may have some doubts about it.

It could be that you're not "ready" for novels, yet.  When I was younger, I wrote a lot of poetry.  I did work on a novel throughout college, but poetry was far more a part of my life.  It wasn't until I was older and more comfortable with the novel (from a writing perspective) that my doubts about my abilities went away.  As it happens, I rarely write poetry, anymore.  Not sure if there's a relation there or not.

How much have you read about writing fiction?  You might benefit from picking up a book or two on the subject.  There are a bunch of really good ones out there.  Check your local library or bookstore.  Perhaps if you become more comfortable with the principles behind good storytelling, your doubts will lessen.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales

I am a speculative fiction novelist (fantasy, science fiction, and so on). While I may be able to answer questions on non-fiction, my specialty is fiction. Please keep that in mind when asking questions.

For four years, I taught a series of fiction writing classes in Sacramento, CA.

BA in fiction writing.

My 2004 novel, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, won BEST FICTION in Fresh Voices 2006, BEST FICTION and BEST YA FICTION in the NCPA Book Awards, and placed as a finalist in BEST BOOKS 2005. In 2002, my novel WISH YOU WERE HERE won awards for Best Fantasy and Best Fiction/Drama in the 8th Annual SPA Awards. My latest work is a trilogy titled THE MANY DEATHS OF DYNAMISTRESS (a superhero memoir). The first book, RECKONING, was released in 2013 and won the SF category in the 2014 San Francisco Book Festival, took second place in the 2013 Royal Dragonfly Book Awards for the SF/Fantasy/Paranormal category, second place in the SF category of the 2013 Reader Views Reviewers Choice Awards, and was finalist in Foreword's 2013 Book of the Year Awards, Fantasy category. The second book, REDEMPTION, will be released in early 2015 and the final book, RENAISSANCE, is scheduled for release in late 2016.