Writing Books/writing a book

Question
I would like to write a book. I have been told many people my imagination is unreal, and that I should write a book. I am really considering this. How do I start? Do I just start writing and keep going? It would be a fiction book for sure. Any advice would be great! Thanks Kelly

Answer
Dear Kelly:

Welcome to the world of writing!  As a beginner, I heartily suggest that you do just start writing and keep going.  At some point, you may want to do an outline of sorts, a summary, of what the idea is and how the book ends.  You'll also want to get some books on how to write novels.  I strongly recommend Dwight Swain's book:  "Techniques of the Selling Writer."  It's an excellent first source to start you off.

One bit of advice:  Keep writing the book until you come to The End.  Too many of us start books, then never finish them.  We just keep starting another book.  There's much to learn from starting and finishing your first novel.

Other people might suggest you join a critiquing group.   These groups are fine but since you are a raw beginner they could be confusing.  Get that first novel done and then seek out someone you trust to read it and give you an opinion.  I also strongly advise against showing only parts of the book to anyone.  Finish it then pass it around.

Do you get the feeling I think it's important to finish the book?  Good!

I wish you luck and good spirits on your future adventure in writing!

Liz Aleshire
www.lizaleshire.com

Writing Books

Liz Aleshire