Writing Books/writing books - fantasy

i was wondering if it is ok to write a book while still in high school and if you will be taken seriously by publishers.

It's certainly a possibility, Zandy.

Recently, a book titled ERAGON, by Christopher Paolini, hit the big time.  Christopher began writing this book at the age of 15, when he graduated high school.  Now, that's pretty young to graduate.  Clearly, Chris is an exceptional kid.  And from what I hear, his writing's pretty good (I haven't read it).

That, you see, is the real issue.  It's not your age.  It's how good the finished product is.  The truth is, almost no one of high school age has learned enough about the craft of writing (or knows it instinctually) to be able to turn out a really good novel.  I certainly didn't.  For that matter, I didn't learn the craft even by majoring in writing in college.  In retrospect, I think I wasted my time taking fiction writing classes in school.  None of my professors taught me much that's really important.  I had to learn all that on my own.

That's good news for you, actually.  Because you have access to the same resources: books by real writers.  I'd strongly recommend picking up some of the best writing books out there.  A good way to do this is to check out the Writer's Digest Book Club.  They've got a wonderful selection.  (Their magazine isn't bad, but I don't really read it.  The book club, though, I love.)

Hope that helps!

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales

I am a speculative fiction novelist (fantasy, science fiction, and so on). While I may be able to answer questions on non-fiction, my specialty is fiction. Please keep that in mind when asking questions.

For four years, I taught a series of fiction writing classes in Sacramento, CA.

BA in fiction writing.

My 2004 novel, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, won BEST FICTION in Fresh Voices 2006, BEST FICTION and BEST YA FICTION in the NCPA Book Awards, and placed as a finalist in BEST BOOKS 2005. In 2002, my novel WISH YOU WERE HERE won awards for Best Fantasy and Best Fiction/Drama in the 8th Annual SPA Awards. My latest work is a trilogy titled THE MANY DEATHS OF DYNAMISTRESS (a superhero memoir). The first book, RECKONING, was released in 2013 and won the SF category in the 2014 San Francisco Book Festival, took second place in the 2013 Royal Dragonfly Book Awards for the SF/Fantasy/Paranormal category, second place in the SF category of the 2013 Reader Views Reviewers Choice Awards, and was finalist in Foreword's 2013 Book of the Year Awards, Fantasy category. The second book, REDEMPTION, will be released in early 2015 and the final book, RENAISSANCE, is scheduled for release in late 2016.