Writing Books/writing books

Question
Ok Nori, give me the low down.  I want to write a book, I'm not sure if its a sellable product.
I have never written a book before so I need to know as much as possible about the whole process so I know what to expect.

I want to write a book about the struggle I have gone through in the last 8 years trying to get businesses and ideas off the ground and explain to people the emotions I went through and how I found the right balance of lifestyle/work.

I believe there are many people with business ideas but haven't done any thing with them because it all seems to much.  I want them to realise that they're not the only person in that position and all of the other books in this category highlight only the high points of business success, not the struggle before hand.

Answer
Dear Scotty,
Thank you for your letter. It sounds like a great idea for a book. Here's the low down. First you must research everything else that's already been published. This is your literature review. It's a good place to start so you won't waste time duplicating others' work. Also, you have to make sure your book offers a unique perspective on the subject. It sounds like yours does, but you have to be able to tell a publisher why your book will stand out.
Next, you need to write it. The idea appears in your head in a seed from, then you must download it from your head onto paper piece by piece. This can take a long time. It can also be difficult and the first draft may not resemble the original idea. Just keep at it and continue to work toward your original vision.
A good way to get started is using the method described in the book, "Writing the Natural Way." You can see the book at Amazon.com if you go to my page for writers:
http://steamboats.com/writing.html
Also, I recommend that you write for love, becuase there may not be a lot of money in it, as this is usually the case for first time authors. However, there are better reasons to write than money. It is gratifying to see your book in print helping other people and having a book can open new doors for you.
Best to you,
Sincerely,
Nori

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster