Writing Books/writing business

I want to run my own business out of my own home writing for people.  Like writing anything, if they need a book written, a specific genre, or anything.  A novel they need writen, an ad, a skit, a movie script, a song, you know I want to do a little of everything.  Also writing term papers for college students, writing things for people that need them typed out, or something related to data entry whenever I can find it, I want this to be my work at home business, everything out there seems like scams this could be a service I offer.  But I need ideas as how to advertise this, if someone even maybe needed certain papers typed or anything and everything related to typing, or writing, or editing, or proofreading, how would I word my ad to get the maximum amounts of results, can you give me a few ideas, or other tips or anything that might be useful.  I type 120 words per minute with almost perfect accuracy, so that shouldn't be a problem with speed.  And also help me with pricing, for writing things, how much should I charge per page or should I find another way to charge, thanks for the advice I really appreciate it in advance.

There are a variety of ways to advertise your business. If you want to work with college students and there's a college nearyby, you could post flyers on bulletin boards around campus as long as it's permissible. You could post an ad on It's easy to do; you just click on the city you're closest to. Look at ads for examples of how to post. They also have ads for writing jobs there.

A good thing about writing is that you can work with people from anywhere. Use the Internet to find jobs. Subscribe to newsletters that list jobs such as and There are lots of newsletters on the web, and they're free. There are newsletters like at you can pay for; they usually list more jobs than a free newsletter. There are sites where you can bid for jobs. and are two.  

Most people want to see samples. Any kind of writing can be a sample: school reports, reports from work. You can make up your own samples. They just want to know if you can write.

As for what to charge, that varies from writer to writer. Writer's Market, a big paperback book, usually has a section on that. It also lists markets for writing such as book publishers, magazines, greeting card companies, etc. There's an online version too. Writer's Digest and The Writer are good magazines for those who want to write professionally. There are so many different kinds of writing you can do. Good luck.

Writing Books

Niki Taylor

What are good writing books? How can I write a writing book? Who publishes writing books?

I'm a writer/book reviewer from North Carolina. For almost three years, I have been freelance writing. My website is

Book on freelance writing at

Quiz writer for

Writes for

Contributor to Conquering Panic and Anxiety Disorders:
Success Stories, Strategies, and Other Good News. Hunter

Book review published in March 2002 Lambda Book Report.

Book Review published in August 2002 The Writer.

Article published in Pediatrics for Parents(Vol. 20, No. 1)

Book reviewer article published in January 2003 issue of AWP
Job List

Book Review Published in April 2003 Good Old Boat

Writing-related article published in May 24, 2003 Funds for
Writers Newsletter(Digest Number 210)

Book Review published in Dovetail
Article published in Openmind, November/December 2003
Article published in 12/17/03
Book review in FOOD WRITING A Bi-Weekly E-zine Vol. I, Issue 12 January 13, 2004
Teaches online class on book reviewing at

East Carolina University, Bachelor's of Arts in English with
a concentration in Writing, 1994
East Carolina University, Master's in Library Science, 1998
East Carolina University, Working on Master's of Arts in
English in Creative Writing Program, Jan. 1999-May 2000