Writing Books/writing names

i was just wondering is there any point in using a fake name for your writing if your trying to stay out of the public eye or is it inevitable that if you make it in any way successful that your identity will be uncovered. for myself i want to write regardless of whether or not i ever become famous but if that were to happen, i am not sure i would want or be ready to face the public eye in that way

Dear Nai,

The best way to deal with this is just to write under a pseudonym now, in the event that anything gets published later -- in other words, you never know whether something you write for a company or for a publisher now might or might not be published in the far future, so to remain anonymous, it's probably wise to start out with a pseudonym.

Good luck, and thanks for writing.

All Best,
Catherine Van Herrin

Writing Books

Catherine Van Herrin

I am an American-born, native English speaker with a BA in English and more than 26 years of professional editing, writing, and proofreading experience. I have edited several books and book-length manuscripts. References and titles available upon request.

For further work or assistance with larger projects, see my profile here, with 190 excellent reviews: WordChannel Professional Reviews, Ratings

I can use British-English or American-English, and I am very familiar with Chicago and AP style.

More than 26 years' U.S. publishing industry experience, editorial (print). I provide crystal-clear, clean grammar; strict attention to style, consistency, flow, logic, accuracy, and spelling, and I work quickly and efficiently.

I do not format or provide technical assistance in publishing books. I use MS Word only.

If I can help you further, contact me at the website above (create a job request) or write to me at My rate is $0.008 per word. Send requests/inquiries to I accept currency only through PayPal, with 50% of the total at project initiation; the balance is due upon project completion.

Editorial Freelancers' Association, USA

AA, Liberal Arts, Anderson College, Anderson, South Carolina. BA, English, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia. Post-graduate concentration: Post-war Irish poetry and early 18th century English fiction, Angelo State University, San Angelo, Texas.

I have worked with authors in the UK, Canada, the US, and several other countries. References and titles available on request.