Writing Books/writing the story!

hi at the moment im writing a fiction book. i was wondering how big the letters should be and what writing style i should use. any help would be appriciated

Hello Emma:

For your first or second draft, you may use any size letters you like. If you prefer to prepare drafts as though they are meant for publication, use Times New Roman 12.

As for your writing "style," I am not sure what you mean by this. There are two types of "style" - the writer's own voice in print, and the "style" recommended by various books on manuscript preparation. These last have to do primarily with grammar rules: spelling, punctuation, etc. Publishers may require that manuscripts follow this book or that one - when you are ready to do your final draft, consult some of these books and choose one to follow. If you find a publisher, they will no doubt indicate which style they want you to follow.

The first type of style - the writer's own voice in print - will come to you naturally through long practice. Don't try to copy someone else's, develop your own, unique voice. Try to write as though you are telling this story to your best friend - write as you talk, in other words. If you will do this consistently, your style will develop automatically.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 600 questions.

And good luck with your writing!  

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication