Writing Books/writing techniques

I believe that I have the ability to write but I also do have a problem of running out of words. I am writing a book but I'm not sure if its fiction or non-fiction. It is a motivational book, I'm trying to help those who are suicidal. What am I supposed to do to just let my pen flow with words or am I just fooling myself by believing that I can write a book?

Hello Maseiso!

Of course you can write a book! You've been writing all your life, haven't you? And you have chosen a most worthwhile topic, too.

A motivational book to help potential suicides would be a non-fiction book. That means there are no made-up stories, characters, etc. A non-fiction book is expected to present truth (at least from your perspective). It may be based on your experiences or the experiences of someone you know.

What you are writing is a long essay about suicide. Go to your search engine and enter "types of essays." Study up on these. Within those types you should find one that fits what you have in mind.

Next, make an outline of your book. Scribble down the points you wish to make about the topic. You may see a pattern emerging. Take these patterns (subtopics) and under each, write what you have scribbled where each scribble fits. Arrange these in a way that pleases you. Which should come first? Which last?

Now - with the first draft - you can let your pen flow with words, always following your outline. Adjust as needed, as you go.

When that is done, do a second draft, cleaning things up as you go. When you have that, get a professional editor (like myself!) help you with the third draft, and you are ready to publish!

I hope this has helped. If it has, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 250+ questions.

And good luck with your book!

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication