Writing Books/How much is too much!

I am an unkown and unpublished writer.  I have been writing since I was 12, even though that doesnt make me an expert.  I have the habit of starting stories and not finishing them.  I get good ideas, topics I want to complete, but I dont seen to follow through.  Am I the only one?

No, you're certainly not the only one.  Happens to all writers, now and then.

What you need to examine though (and I can't really help you with this) is WHY you don't finish them.  Possible reasons could be:

1) You've lost interest in your own story.
2) You don't know in which direction to take the story.
3) You have fears that are preventing you from completing the stories.

And of course, for any of these reasons, there are follow-up questions as to WHY they're true.  For example:

1) You may have lost interest in the story because your characters aren't developed enough and you don't really care what happens to them.
2) You're unsure of where to take the story because you haven't fully developed your characters' conflicts.
3) Your fears of completing stories may be because you fear having the stories rejected by publishers.

Or there could be different reasons for all of those, too.

My point is, there could be many, many reasons for your problem.  You can't fix it without understanding it, and you can't understand it without really taking some time to truly examine it.

On the other hand, you could just hunker down and finish one.  Make it a goal to finish just one story by the end of the summer.  Don't worry about whether it'll be any good or not; just finish a draft of it.  

By forcing yourself to do this, you may discover what your previous blockage was.

Good luck.  

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales

I am a speculative fiction novelist (fantasy, science fiction, and so on). While I may be able to answer questions on non-fiction, my specialty is fiction. Please keep that in mind when asking questions.

For four years, I taught a series of fiction writing classes in Sacramento, CA.

BA in fiction writing.

My 2004 novel, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, won BEST FICTION in Fresh Voices 2006, BEST FICTION and BEST YA FICTION in the NCPA Book Awards, and placed as a finalist in BEST BOOKS 2005. In 2002, my novel WISH YOU WERE HERE won awards for Best Fantasy and Best Fiction/Drama in the 8th Annual SPA Awards. My latest work is a trilogy titled THE MANY DEATHS OF DYNAMISTRESS (a superhero memoir). The first book, RECKONING, was released in 2013 and won the SF category in the 2014 San Francisco Book Festival, took second place in the 2013 Royal Dragonfly Book Awards for the SF/Fantasy/Paranormal category, second place in the SF category of the 2013 Reader Views Reviewers Choice Awards, and was finalist in Foreword's 2013 Book of the Year Awards, Fantasy category. The second book, REDEMPTION, will be released in early 2015 and the final book, RENAISSANCE, is scheduled for release in late 2016.