Writing Books/Where to go??

I am a 30 year old single professional looking to tell my story about being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis at the age of 23.  I have been doing a lot of public speaking for a national organization.  This commitment along with my professional career takes up most of my time.  I need somebody thirsty to help me tell this story because there is definitely a need for it in the marketplace.  I've found a professional writer to help however; it is expensive and resources are limited.  What do you suggest?

Dear Michele,

It's not always true that you get what you pay for, but it's certainly sometimes the case. If you want your story told expertly, intelligently, eloquently and compellingly, you will likely have to pay for that expertise.

Having said that, there are a lot of talented writers just starting out who could serve your needs. Check with local/regional writers associations and with the journalism department of your local college or university.

Bear in mind, though, that what you save on the writing side may end up being spent on the editing side. A less experienced writer may need heavier editing than a more experienced one.

Another option, of course, is to write it yourself and then have a professional editor get it into shape.

The bottom line is that good writers deserve to be well-paid for their efforts on your behalf.

Whoever you choose, don't make your selection solely based on cost/fees. Be comfortable with the person; you'll be working with him/her over a fair period of time. And be comfortable with the writer's ability to get your story onto the page in a way that serves you and your story..

Good luck!
Mark David Gerson
author, The Voice of the Muse: Answering the Call to Write & The MoonQuest

Writing Books

Mark David Gerson

Happy to answer questions about writing, writer's block, publishing/self-publishing. Can answer general questions, but not available to critique work.

Published author; have taught writing for 15 years at colleges, universities and community centers in the U.S. and Canada.

Southwest Writers New Mexico Book Co-op

Author of the fantasy adventure, The MoonQuest, and the book of writing inspiration and practice, The Voice of the Muse: Answering the Call to Write. Freelanced full-time as a writer, journalist and editor for more than a decade. Published in a wide range of publications. Free inspirational e-newsletter has 1200 subscribers in more than a dozen countries.

Published Author. Published Freelance Writer. More than 15 years of teaching/coaching/consulting.

New Mexico Discovery Award 2006; Award-Winning Finalist in Visionary Fiction, the National Best Books 2007 Awards