Writing Business Plans/social media and Facebook

Question
QUESTION: Hello
Is Facebook and social media effective for an unknown writer or small business?
Since  GM pulled out of Facebook, the question must be asked, who can benefit from it and cannot?

thanks

ANSWER: The benefits of Facebook is that it has a vast volume of daily visitors.  Also if you advertise on Facebook you can target your ads very effectively.  Certainly small businesses can profit but they will need a website to back up their social media marketing.  Writers will need a blog to highlight their writing. Social media should not be your sole marketing activity.  You need to be consistent so that you build up a following.

QUESTION: Mr.  Lister:
Thank you for the helpful response. You wrote
"Social media should not be your sole marketing activity.  You need to be consistent so that you build up a following."
Would you expand upon this? What are other activities that should be done besides social media?
Also shouldn't authors look at writing as a business(like James Patterson does) if they are not that famous, and not rich, what should they do to build a following?

thanks

Answer
You should undertake both internet marketing as well as guerrilla marketing -see any of Jay Conrad Levinson's to learn more about this. Set yourself up a marketing plan to meet your budget. Remember to regularly test the results you are getting and fine tuning your plan and efforts. Marketing takes time. Look on Fiverr for cheap marketing.

Yes writing is a business -  I have one on www.WriteAndCorrect.com

Look on upwork and guru for projects.

To build a following, publish articles and ebooks so as to get ls of exposure and links.

Look after your clients and you get repeat work.

Good luck  

Writing Business Plans

Lee Lister