Writing Plays/Screenwriting/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
adaptation from a novel11/27/2016Barry Pearson
  Q: I really want to write a screenplay adaptation of a novel from the 1970s. It was popular in its day, ...
  A: I can steer you in the right direction. That is not an issue. The issue in this situation is that a ...
Favorite movie screenplay of 20169/13/2016John M. Lovett
  Q: What is your favorite movie screenplay of 2016 so far. Also what's your favorite movie of the year ...
  A: Truthfully, I have read none of the 2016 movie scripts. Except for "Sully" or "Hacksaw Ridge," none ...
Constructing English Songs played in Movies and Plays from Poems.7/15/2016Donald L. Vasicek
  Q: Are there English songs constructed and played in English Movies and English Plays from English ...
  A: You're welcome. Thank you for the rating. If you use this poem for a movie or music, make sure you ...
Constructing English Songs played in Movies and Plays from Poems.7/15/2016Barry Pearson
  A: Yes there are. But you need to be careful of copyright infringement. You can find my book "Don't Let ...
For the screen, not book6/26/2016Barry Pearson
  Q: I've had an interest in writing a novel - possibly a series of novels - for some time, although with ...
  A: Novels are punishingly hard to write. I know, because I'm finishing one. Breaking into the film and ...
Quick formatting question6/25/2016John M. Lovett
  Q: Can't find the answer to this anywhere: I have a 4/5 shot montage with VO dialogue under it. In the ...
  A: Richard, Normally, dialog follows visual. I would have to ask why the montage? This scene(s) are ...
research5/14/2016Barry Pearson
  Q: How did you do the drone research for Ciao Ciao Bang Bang your latest thriller?
  A: Previously in my writing career I relied upon books from the library, and books I bought. Then the ...
Need Cinema Updates4/27/2016Barry Pearson
  Q: Is there any simplest ways to get the most recent updated cinema news manually?
  A: The best supply of Hollywood Cinema news is The Hollywood Reporter. Check out the Hollywood ...
Formatting special situations4/5/2016John M. Lovett
  Q: I am working on a script that involves the deaf parents of the protagonist. The father is totally ...
  A: Richard, Deaf and mute. Dumb implies lack of intelligence of which I do not think you are trying ...
Points? Profit Points?2/13/2016Barry Pearson
  Q: I ran across the term "profit points" having to do with movies and can't find a clear explanation. ...
  A: "Profit points" is a slangy way of saying "percentage of the profits," and most of us who have been ...
How to write the horror-movie2/8/2016Barry Pearson
  Q: Horror is popular. Some readers complain that Steven King isn't scary etc. Since you have written a ...
  A: The horror genre, like other genres, has many sub-genres, and writers often take the liberty to ...
Submitting your novel to movie producers11/20/2015Barry Pearson
  Q: If I write a book, log line and summary, should I or is it important to also to write and have a ...
  A: You're on the right track; that is, you need a one-sentence catch-phrase to promote your book, and a ...
literary agents10/29/2015Barry Pearson
  Q: Many writers would like to know when is the time to get an agent? I have seen the Catch 22 ...
  A: Yes, the issue of agents or not agents is a conundrum. The landscape of agencies is changing. ...
Could such things still happen today?10/23/2015Barry Pearson
  Q: I remember reading about the 80's and 90's, when spec screenplays, although never easy to sell, ...
  A: I was in the movie and television business in the 80's and 90's, and I'll bet that stories of ...
Screenwriting Agent10/5/2015John M. Lovett
  Q: Is there a place to find out about the track record of agents? A Literary Agent's sales are listed ...
  A: Rick, The short answer is no. However, an agent that is listed or works with one of the agencies ...
screenplay writing, write for the audience, purpose of a screenplay, screenplay writing is special10/1/2015Barry Pearson
  Q: I am writing my first drama script and need to input a ANONYMOUS character at beginning. Revealing ...
  A: Very interesting question. The issues here are: What do you want to do with this character ...
character9/24/2015Barry Pearson
  Q: Your books tell about characters. In one of my story ideas, the main character is female. But she ...
  A: My take on this is that male warriors are a dime a dozen. So--if your warrior is a female, you have ...
selling novel to the movies8/31/2015Barry Pearson
  Q: If an ebook hasn't sold a ton of copies, or not enough, can it still be appealing to movie ...
  A: A published book, aside from how many copies it sold, has a certain gravitas over a raw script. If ...
pitching movie idea8/14/2015Donald L. Vasicek
  Q: Mr. Vasicek: Is there a good way to find out which film companies would be most interested in your ...
  A: Demetrius, The most effective way is to be in Hollywood and in the loop. If one is not in the ...
Does it mean I should give up?8/8/2015Barry Pearson
  Q: One of my screenplays is similar to a movie which is about to be released...There are differences, ...
  A: I, and almost all professional screenwriters, have experienced what you're experiencing, or ...
self published and screenwriing8/5/2015Barry Pearson
  Q: My question is that if someone has ebooks on Amazon would this in any way be of any help (or hurt) ...
  A: A good question. In general, having a book published is a plus. Producers like to follow in the ...
Black and White in Slugline7/30/2015John M. Lovett
  Q: My spec script starts in the 1964 switching back and forth between three scenes. I want these ...
  A: Greg, For the definitive answer to screenplay formatting questions, I would check out David ...
Title page question5/27/2015John M. Lovett
  Q: If a screenplay is based on actual events, is it ok to indicate so on the title page? How would you ...
  A: Dave, If your screenplay is based on actual events, you could put that information in your synopsis ...
Question about Title Page5/27/2015Anthony T. Carter
  Q: If a screenplay is based on actual events, is it proper to indicate that on the title page? How ...
  A: Sorry this so long to respond to, I had to do a bit of research on scripts and precedents. For all ...
Fade away from final shot5/5/2015John M. Lovett
  Q: In the final scene of my screenplay, Joey and Vanessa are dancing a waltz at their wedding, and the ...
  A: Dave, Formatting questions are best answered by D. Trottier's book "The Screenwriters Bible." If ...
HOW LONG TO GO NOW 34/19/2015John M. Lovett
  Q: (This is not a spam question or a homework question) I was wondering would you please explain to me ...
  A: Cameron, In motion pictures, each page of screenplay is worth one minute of screen time. In other ...
spec scripts, Amazon Studio, copyright, novels versus screenplays, marketing, submitting4/7/2015Barry Pearson
  Q: aspiring screenwriter here. I've spent years trying to sell my fiction novels, with little success. ...
  A: Your situation is the most intriguing I've received in a long while. I was a writer/producer in the ...
Where can I get technical advice for the medical dialogue/procedures side of my script? Thanks.3/6/2015Barry Pearson
  Q: Sorry to bother you. I have just finished my 1st tv drama script(big, exciting deal in my little ...
  A: First of all, the nature of the medical procedures will govern what type of specialist you will ...
How much does country of screewriter matter?2/24/2015Barry Pearson
  Q: You're Canadian (very close to my area) but would you or Canadian writers have any problem writing a ...
  A: Nice to hear from you. Your question is an interesting one. Here's how I have always viewed this ...
Formatting Question2/23/2015John M. Lovett
  Q: In my screenplay, the story begins with an old man having a nightmare in which he dreams of a WW 2 ...
  A: Dave, What you are asking about is not flashback but a dream sequence. Basically, they are ...
Format Question2/5/2015Barry Pearson
  Q: In one of my screenplays, the scene opens to a black screen. We hear the sound of bombs dropping. ...
  A: Here's the way to do it: FADE IN: TO BLACK SCREEN FLASHBACK: EXT. PEARL HARBOR, USS WEST VIRGINIA ...
Verbage in Dialog2/3/2015Barry Pearson
  Q: In my screenplays, I use words in the dialog as I would phrase them in talking to someone. For ...
  A: very good question. Whether it's the right thing to do or not hinges on how much dialect you use. ...
Formatting question2/2/2015Barry Pearson
  Q: In my screenplay, the scene shifts from a battlefield to Washington, D.C. The new scene shows a ...
  A: Nice to hear from you again. Answer to yourIf you insert the scene heading as in your question, it ...
Rephrasing12/30/2014Barry Pearson
  Q: wondering if I could have help with this small part of my screenplay: ALEX I'm starting to get the ...
  A: This is much better. The following needs amendment: Alex glances at the fireworks, then looks ...
treatment12/22/2014Barry Pearson
  Q: Pearson I once ran across something about writing and selling a short treatment rather than screen ...
  A: I'm sure this is an issue that many other writers are curious about. Unfortunately, the truth is ...
Favorite novel.12/18/2014Donald L. Vasicek
  Q: It is difficult to answer but still do you feel Romeo and Juliet is the best novel by Shakespeare ...
  A: All fiction is subjective. All human beings are different. That means that what one person ...
Favorite novel.12/18/2014Anthony T. Carter
  A: Honestly, it depends on what genre of Shakespeare's plays you like. And just for future reference, ...
Favorite novel.12/18/2014Barry Pearson
  A: First, Romeo and Juliet is not a novel, it's a stage play. As far as I'm concerned, there are a ...
Query Letter11/18/2014Roger S. H. Schulman
  Q: I am sending out a query letter for representation for two of my screenplays, a romantic comedy, and ...
  A: Dave, ordinarily I would recommend sticking to one topic, project or script per query. In my opinion ...
finaldraft software11/17/2014Roger S. H. Schulman
  Q: Is it possible with FinalDraft to write a new script without the old one being erased? Can I write ...
  A: Yes of course, that's the whole reason for Final Draft, or any word/script processing software. ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next       All

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Barry Pearson

Top Expert on this page