Writing Plays/Screenwriting/Screenwriting

Question
Dear Mr. Pearson, Well one thing is certain you have seen this question before. I have in idea for a movie that could also be used as a book plot. I have little interest in writing the book myself. I am more interested in writing the screenplay. I have never written a screenplay. I have begun to do some basic research into subject matter. Honestly, I really do not know where to begin. If you could just give me some information and ideas about how to take my idea from inception to the screen I would sincerely appreciate it. I have discussed my idea with some friends of mine, they all tell me that my idea is very original. Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter

Sincerely,

John

Answer
Hi John,

Writing a screenplay is very much different than Writing a book, or a stage play.

I recommend that your consider your motives.

Why do you want to write a screenplay?

Even I have stopped writing screenplays. I'm writing novels.

Are you aware that the odds of your newbie screenplay being turned into a movie is probably less than a million to one, since there are approximately a million unproduced screenplays circulating in Hollywood at any given time.

So, would there be any other reason? Yes, if you wanted to show people a sample of your completed feature screenplay, in the hope of breaking into television. If that's your motive, you first have to move to L.A. and get a real job to support yourself while you write your sample screenplay, which won't ever get produced.

Do you wish to see your work "out there" in the world? If that is your motivation, write a book. What do you think are the odds of you getting your book published?

One hundred percent! Why? Because you can publish it yourself on Amazon immediately after you type *The End.*

If you are bullheaded and still want to write a screenplay, e-mail me at barry@createyourscreenplay.com and I'll send you my $14.95 book *It's All About the Story* for free, because you'll need to save your money. At least your unproduceable screenplay will have a viable plot and story line if you apply the wisdom in said book. If you decide to write a novel, get my book anyway because the story structure applies to novels as well.

I really hate to rain on anybody's parade, but somebody has to tell the truth about the movie business.

I wish you success and happiness.
Barry  

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Barry Pearson