Writing Plays/Screenwriting/Hammerstein

Question
Lately I have been watching some film adaptations of old plays including Rogers & Hammerstein and I was looking for an expect that could maybe help me understand what the main point of "Oklahoma" was? Or any important themes of it? I like their other work, but there was nothing very compelling about this one. I mean the main character, Curly, who was supposedly the protagonist and "good guy" was nonchalantly trying to convince Judd to hang himself. I was almost hoping Judd could have had his revenge at the end. lol. It seemed like a silly play without that much content.

Answer
Hi James,
The original play *Green Grow the Lilacs* was written by Lynn Riggs in 1931, and turned into a broadway musical in 1943, shortly after the end of WWII. It's not surprising that it's puzzling to people today. The morals and perspectives of the America that existed in the 30's differ so radically from the society of today that it's surprising the show can even be performed today, but it is -- in little theaters, and academic venues, largely due to the appeal of the music and dance numbers.

In its day, it was entirely a romantic light piece of fluff designed to entertain and no more. As to the hanging prods from Curly, none of that was ever intended to be taken seriously.

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Barry Pearson