Writing Plays/Screenwriting/Page one re-write...and my rights.

Question
Hello! Thanks for your time. I was asked to direct a short film and was given a four page script. I didn't believe that the script was something I could direct so I did a page one re-write: adding significant changes to the story taking it from a four page script to a 20 page script. 97 percent of the original dialogue is gone. I presented this to the producers funding the film and they thought it was too big for them to make so I decided to walk away. I changed all the character names, changed the title of the film and registered it with the WGA. They did not.  No contract was ever signed. I was never paid. I was never asked to do a re-write, I did it on my own. If it's a page one re-write, can they block me from making my film which is now a completely different idea? I don't think they have but even if they've registered their original four page script, can they copy write or protect an idea if my idea shares one similar plot point: that the protagonist is raped towards the end of the film -- but it is depicted differently in each script? The producers are telling me that I canít work on the script that I walked away with during the time I worked with them because I collaborated with them. I thought if I didnít sign anything or money wasnít exchanged and I registered my script first, then itís mine. I know it may be a lot to ask but do you know the specific law or statute that I could show him that would make him understand that I can not only continue making my page one, re-written script, but that they can not use one line of dialogue that I wrote while collaborating with them.

Answer
I'm not really qualified to definitively answer your question. I urge you to consult an entertainment attorney if this is important to you. From my experience, I feel that the story you wrote is yours. There are no contracts in place, and you've come up with an original story and characters. The plot point of a character being raped can hardly be considered unique or original. I find it hard to believe that the producers would have much of a case. Nonetheless, my opinion is just that: an opinion.

Good luck!

Roger

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Roger S. H. Schulman