Writing Plays/Screenwriting/My rights and copywriting an idea...

Question
I entered into a verbal agreement with an author of a short story. Someone adapted his short story into a 4 page script and I did a page 1 re-write of that script. He sent me text messages giving me the right to make our film. During casting, he felt disrespected that I had made so many changes to the original four page script and apparently his short story that he told me that he never gave me "written permission" to make my film and that I can no longer proceed. The title, character names, number of characters, plot, dialogue and story are all vastly different from the 4 page script. I even changed my script into a pilot for a tv series instead of a film. If the only thing shared between the two scripts is an attorney is raped at the end, can my script exist on its own and be owned by me? I'm in the process of trying to shop this script to networks and I just want to make sure that I'm safe. If you know of an entertainment lawyer that could help me out, that would be great as well. I read that I don't necessarily need to find an attorney that practices law in my state since all I need is someone to read my 20 page script and read their four page script and tell me if mine can exist on its own. Thank you!

Answer
Darnell,

I am not a lawyer so I can't give you legal advice here, and it is likely legal advice is what you need.
I can offer to read the 20-page script and the 4-page script to let you know what I think about your
script existing on its own.  I would have to charge you a fee for that.  Tell me what you can afford
to spend and I'll try to make it work for you.  I really want to help you out.

Best Regards,

Donald L. Vasicek
Olympus Films+, LLC
The Zen of Writing
http://www.donvasicek.com
dvasicek@earthlink.net

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Donald L. Vasicek