Writing Plays/Screenwriting/treatments

Question
hi how r u?Should you or do you have to write a treatment before you write a screenplay?I do plan to write ,direct,and produce one day.I was reading on screenplay  writing.I just recently heard of  treatments.I had never heard of them before.

Answer
am,

A treatment is a device used by production companies to understand, and sometimes control, the story.  You do not need to write a treatment, or sometimes called scriptments, before you write a screenplay.  However, if you are going to pitch the story having a treatment is a helpful leave-behind for the producer.

A treatment is an emotional retelling of the story is not just a play-by-play reiteration of the story.  A treatment ranges from 7 to 25 pages.  Keeping it short is best.

"Writing Treatments That Sell" by Kenneth J. Atchity is a good place to start in learning how to write treatments.

Good luck.  

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

John M. Lovett