Writing Plays/Screenwriting/treatments

hi how r u?Should you or do you have to write a treatment before you write a screenplay?I do plan to write ,direct,and produce one day.I was reading on screenplay  writing.I just recently heard of  treatments.I had never heard of them before.

A treatment is a device used by production companies to understand, and sometimes control, the story.  You do not need to write a treatment, or sometimes called scriptments, before you write a screenplay.  However, if you are going to pitch the story having a treatment is a helpful leave-behind for the producer.

A treatment is an emotional retelling of the story is not just a play-by-play reiteration of the story.  A treatment ranges from 7 to 25 pages.  Keeping it short is best.

"Writing Treatments That Sell" by Kenneth J. Atchity is a good place to start in learning how to write treatments.

Good luck.  

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

John M. Lovett

I answer questions regarding film production and screenwriting. I will answer questions dealing with screenwriting style, ideas, film production, format, and agents.

Sixteen years working in the motion picture and television industries as a screenwriter, producer, and military technical advisor. Have two produced movies TWO WEEKS and CATHY MORGAN. Worked with Digital Ranch Productions, Warriors Inc, and Nichols Productions.

CSUF, BA, 1980 UCLA, Certificate in Screenwriting, 2009

Warriors, Inc.
Dreamworks Interactive
Legacy Interactive
Silvertouch Pictures
Synergy Group
Nichols Productions