Writing Plays/Screenwriting/PLEASE I NEED YOUR HELP

From your profile, i see that you have great experiences in the area of writing for movies. i would be happy if you can help me.I write short stories just for fun, but i write a lot of articles. I also have a lot of ideas  and story line that would be great for the screen. I usually share these ideas and stories with friends and they they always go wild with awe. Recently someone told me to try to put it up in writing and sell. I would love to do this , but i don't know how to, especially in getting an agent and avoid someone else stealing your intellectual work, because i was told that there are a lot of fast fingers out there too. Please i would be happy if you could help me out and put me through. Thanks a lot for your help.

So, you want to be a screenwriter?

You have asked a myriad of questions.  Let me see if I can parse them all out.

How do I write a screenplay?

Go to the Writers Store ( and type in "how to write screenplays" and check the results.

How do I properly format a screenplay.

Again, the Writers Store.  Get David Trottier's book "Proper Formatting Technique: How to Create a Compelling and Professional Screenplay."

How do I get an agent?

Check my previous responses to this question on AllExperts.  Basically, until you have written something, properly formatted, that can sell no agent is going to pay any attention to you.

How do I register my work once completed?

Go to the Writers Guild, West site, send them $20, and a pdf file.  (

You could also check out my blog at for more information.

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

John M. Lovett

I answer questions regarding film production and screenwriting. I will answer questions dealing with screenwriting style, ideas, film production, format, and agents.

Sixteen years working in the motion picture and television industries as a screenwriter, producer, and military technical advisor. Have two produced movies TWO WEEKS and CATHY MORGAN. Worked with Digital Ranch Productions, Warriors Inc, and Nichols Productions.

CSUF, BA, 1980 UCLA, Certificate in Screenwriting, 2009

Warriors, Inc.
Dreamworks Interactive
Legacy Interactive
Silvertouch Pictures
Synergy Group
Nichols Productions