Writing Plays/Screenwriting/Novels

Does novels reading help in screenwriting?  I read scripts,watch movies a lot but didn't read a novel yet.

There's an old saying that "Novels are about what people think, plays are about what people say, movies are about what people do." There's a lot of truth in that; a novel can get inside a character's mind like no other art form. Would it benefit you as a screenwriter to learn how great writers get inside people's minds? I'd say so. True, you would have to translate that into the language of the screen, but that merely means you'll be exercising your mental muscles. As you read a novel, ask yourself whether it would make a good movie. If so, why? If not, why not? And if you were assigned to make it into a movie regardless, how would you do it?

That all said, there's one more argument for reading novels. It couldn't hurt!

Hope this helps.

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Roger S. H. Schulman

I can answer questions on the creative aspects of writing for features and television comedy: brainstorming, character development, plotting, story structure, dialog, rewriting, editing, etc. I can also address the business side of show business: pitching, writing and presenting treatments, "taking" meetings, common pitfalls, etc. I'm also well versed in the relationship between screenwriting and computers: software for scriptwriting, brainstorming, presentation, outlining, an d general organization. I'm also a producer, and so can answer questions regarding the ins and outs of television production, specifically the half-hour arena. Visit my scriptwriting blog at http://scriptwriting.tumblr.com/

I have been working in Hollywood as a screenwriter for both TV and features for many years. I'm an Executive Producer and "showrunner" who has run several prime-time and cable comedies. I've written several featurs and contributed to many more for several major studios.

Writers Guild of America, West

Newsweek, BusinessWeek, GQ, Connoisseur, UPI, New York Daily News, please visit my blog at http://scriptwriting.blogspot.com

I have a Masters of Science in Journalism from Columbia University.

Academy Award Nomination, Best Adapted Screenplay British Academy Award, Best Adapted Screenplay Emmy Award Nomination, Best New Series NAACP "Image" Award, Best Television Comedy "Annie" Award, Best Animated Film