Writing Plays/Screenwriting/Formatting

Question
I'm not really sure how to ask this so if this rambles a bit, I apologize.

In my script I want to show a TV commercial. The characters aren't watching the commercial but the audience is watching the commercial. But I want it obvious that it's a TV commercial. Actually my protagonist is actually in the commercial.

Is there a proper way to format this and what's the best way to transition back to my regular narrative?

Answer
Ryan,

You use your sluglines to move back and forth from the perspective of the audience.

INT. BEDROOM

Joe watches TV.

ON TV

Commercial showing Joe.

INT. BEDROOM

Joe throws his shoe at the TV.

Just remember to always end up where you started from.  That is, if you start in the bedroom with Joe and friends then end there.

Answer your question?

You can also consult David Trottier's book on screenplay formatting for more details.

Good luck.  Keep writing.

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

John M. Lovett