Writing Plays/Screenwriting/I'm giving up...

My screenplay is very similar to two others. One has been launched this year. The other one will be launched next year. They're not 100% the same as mine, but the similarities are present. Should I give up writing scripts, because I'm almost sure all the others look like already or soon to be launched movies? Thanks for answering!

Do you really want to be writer?  I am asking the question because if you give up so easily based on what others are writing you may not want to be a writer.

In my own experience, I was seeking production of a American Civil War script right about the time "Gettsyburg" and "Of Gods and Generals" came out.  Except for some interest at Columbia, no one wanted to produce another period script.  I ended up withdrawing the script.  Still got it, though.

The point is that you need to write what you want to write not what the Zeitgeist tells you to write.  If you write to the Zeitgeist, you will always be behind the power curve no matter how well you write.

You need to re-group and consider writing in another genre.  Write a romcom or a straight drama, or something you would never have thought about writing before.  Writing is hard.  Only when you make it harder do you do well.

What you have already written is not wasted effort.  It can be the basis for something greater.

Just remember -

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
Ernest Hemingway

Or, if you like Harlan Ellison -

The only thing worth writing about is people. People. Human beings. Men and women whose individuality must be created, line by line, insight by insight.

Keep writing.

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

John M. Lovett

I answer questions regarding film production and screenwriting. I will answer questions dealing with screenwriting style, ideas, film production, format, and agents.

Sixteen years working in the motion picture and television industries as a screenwriter, producer, and military technical advisor. Have two produced movies TWO WEEKS and CATHY MORGAN. Worked with Digital Ranch Productions, Warriors Inc, and Nichols Productions.

CSUF, BA, 1980 UCLA, Certificate in Screenwriting, 2009

Warriors, Inc.
Dreamworks Interactive
Legacy Interactive
Silvertouch Pictures
Synergy Group
Nichols Productions