Writing Plays/Screenwriting/reader

what is the work of a reader, is he/she the only who will read my screenplay and select or reject? if he/she rejects my work,then what? Why agents are so required for any screenwriter? Thanks for your time and consideration.

If you are able to persuade a buyer (studio, production company, network, distributor) to read your screenplay or television script, an employee will read it, or part of it to assess:
a)whether or not it could be a project that would suit the company for which he or she works, and
b)if its quality is acceptable.

The reader will then submit a report to a superior in the organization. This report will typically summarize the genre, the content, the characters, the theme and the plot.

In addition the reader will recommend one of two basic options:
a)pass (they reject your submission)
b)read (someone superior may read it).

There is no standardization of how readers ought to make their reports or what is required or allowed. Each company has a protocol for readers that is different from the protocol of other companies.

If your work gets a "pass," that's the end. You may choose to submit to other buyers. Sometimes they will tell you why they are rejecting your work, but typically you'll get a cookie-cutter note saying something like "Thank you for your submission. Unfortunately (name of script) does not fit our needs at this time."

As to having an agent, you need one because they have contacts that allow them to submit scripts to appropriate buyers, and because they have great expertise in negotiating a sale.

Many writers work with managers. See:

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Barry Pearson

I`m a credited writer on nine feature films. My latest movie, IRON ROAD, which stars Peter O'Toole and Sam Neill, opened as feature, then aired as a four-hour miniseries on network television. Sun Li, the Chinese star, won the best actress award at the Roma Fiction Fest recently. www.ironroadthemovie.com) I’ve produced more than 300 episodes of television drama, including 13 episodes of Deepwater Black, and 106 episodes of Katts & Dog (Rin-Tin-Tin, K-9 Cop in the U.S.). I've answered over 1200 All Experts questions!

I've been in the business of writing and producing feature films, television series, and MOW's for over 20 years. You can check me out at this URL http://www.createyourscreenplay.com/aboutbp.htm

You can find my books on Amazon. See DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR STORY (http://tinyurl.com/StoryStealers)which is a stripped-down readable summary of copyright, full of entertaining anecdotes and real-life examples. Read about the true horror stories that clearly show you what you need to do to avoid the misfortune of having your literary material stolen. Find out: * How to take simple inexpensive steps to protect yourself, before, during, and after you write your literary work. * How copyright law applies to writers of literary works. * How literary works enter public domain, and how you can use it to your advantage. * What aspects of literary works are protected by copyright, and what aspects are not protected. * How to create documentation that will prove your copyright entitlement in the event of an infringement on your rights. * How you can protect yourself if you are contracted to write for television. You’ll also get a FREE sample of an Option and Purchase Agreement, a contract used in the acquisition of rights in a literary property—a contract that you and your lawyer can customize for your property. Written by a writer, for writers, Don’t Let Anyone Steal Your Story will help you protect yourself against plagiarists and anyone else who might infringe your right of sole ownership. ------------- Also on Amazon, my book of four short stories, THE TWENTY-BUSHEL RACER. A man’s redemption from bitterness enables him to become a loving father. A teenager discovers the importance of his attachment to the people in his life and the place where he is growing up. A man, who has for years considered himself a coward and a betrayer of his comrades, musters the courage to stand up against a pair of would-be assassins. Two young men, who grew up in the same town, meet unexpectedly, reminisce about a girl they both loved when they were boys, and unveil a truth that changes both their lives.

Master of Arts degree (Drama)

Among my awards are Best Screenplay, Best Picture, at the International Film & Television Festival of New York for THE LIFE AND TIMES OF EDWIN ALONZO BOYD, Best Screenplay, Feature Film, at the 12th International Film Festival in Sitges, Spain for PLAGUE, and a Special Jury Award, Feature Film at the San Francisco International Film Festival for PLAGUE.