Writing Plays/Screenwriting/how can i make a trailer script?

Question
hi, i'm hanna 14 years old. i am confused how can i make a movie trailer script? i am assigned to be the writer and the director for the upcoming movie trailer competition in our country, can you give an advice on what format should i do.

i hope for your response thank you, and God bless.

Answer
Hanna,

I have never heard of a script for a movie trailer.  A trailer is usually put together from existing scenes of the movie predominately from the second act.

The people that make trailers see the movie footage, then consult with the director, to get a feel of what would make up the trailer.  They then splice together the footage pieces to make a cohesive emotional re-telling of the movie.  Well, at least that is the intent.

Truthfully, directors or producers try to make trailers themselves, instead of relying on folks who do this, and usually fail.  In other words, you have probably seen trailers where you wondered what the movie was about.

So the short answer is there are no scripts for trailers.

The long answer is you as the director now need to sit and take pieces out of an already existing full length script to make the trailer or you need to write a script based on what you think would best represent your story.

Keep in mind that one page of script is equivalent to one minute of screen time.  As a trailer is usually in the two to two and a half minute range, you will need no more than three pages of script to make you trailer.

Good luck.  Keep writing.

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

John M. Lovett