Writing Plays/Screenwriting/Time to write a screenplay

How much time should I take to write my first screenplay and how much for research and outlining? How would I know my research is now sufficient for starting actually writing a screenplay.It is my first screenplay and I am very hunger to start writing. I am outlining this since 6 month.

Honestly there is no set timetable for writing your first screenplay. You could perhaps have a deadline...a date you would like to finish the first draft by. When I write, I try to keep myself motivated as much as possible. So you should set a date you would like to finish it.

Let me give you an example. On my latest screenplay. I wanted to finish Draft 1 in about a month, I then gave myself 3 weeks to write Draft 2...and so fourth in anticipation of producing the screenplay myself in late summer.

Now if you think you've researched enough, e.g. knowing your characters, knowing the plot from beginning to end...go for it. Write Draft 1. I will tell you this, your first draft is usually going to be bad. And that's not terrible. Just get your thoughts, the characters, the moments down. And then in Draft 2 do some revising, some pruning.

Hope this helps and Happy Writing

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Anthony T. Carter

As a active screenwriter and dramatist (playwright/librettist), I have been writing and directing since I was in elementary school. My expertise is in dramtic writing as well as historical research. I have been given such responsibility (dramaturg) for many local theatre productions. bbc

I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in Theatre Arts, minors in History and Psychology. As a writer, I have enjoy the experience of researching for information in regards to a script or just because.

Royal Autumn Entertainment (Owner and Lead Creative) Nazareth College Alumni Association Geva Theatre Center (Official Videographer) JCC CenterStage (Official Videographer/Media Technologist/Dramaturge) Method Machine (Playwright in Residence/Dramaturge)

B.A. Theatre Arts, Nazareth College of Rochester 2007

Nazareth College of Rochester Method Lab Nuts and Bolts Radworks Wilson Magnet High School JCC CenterStage Geva Theatre Center SE Video