Writing Plays/Screenwriting/Emdash punctuation

Question
Hi Barry. Is it proper to use a punctuation mark when an emdash is used. i.e.
         GEORGE
         Will you answer my question? --

GINO
         You will have your answer when I
         decide to give it to you.

Is the question mark and emdash used appropriately in my example? Thank you very much.  Dave

Answer
Hi Dave,

I'm on the road, and I've only received this a minute ago.

It isn't customary to use the em dash after a punctuated sentence as in--

GEORGE
        Will you answer my question? --

If you wish to indicate a pause between the two speakers, it would be appropriate to frame it in one of two ways:

1.
         GEORGE
        Will you answer my question?
A beat.

GINO
        You will have your answer when I
        decide to give it to you.

2.
         GEORGE
        Will you answer my question?

GINO
         (a beat)
        You will have your answer when I
        decide to give it to you.

BTW, I try to avoid giving my characters names beginning with the same letter of the alphabet. I've found that readers get confused as to who is who.

If the above is from a screenplay you're writing, you might want to consider renaming one of the above characters.

Wishing you success with your writing,
Barry  

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Barry Pearson