Writing Plays/Screenwriting/SCREENPLAY CONTESTS

Question
Hi Barry.  Do you personally feel that screenplay contests can serve to advance one's screenplay?  Also, How do you feel about using a split-screen phone conversation in a full length movie?  I have seen a couple recently on T.V. Thanks once again,  Dave

Answer
Hi Dave,

It's possible that entering your work in contest could yield benefits, provided you rank in the top ten percent, or place in the top four or five.  Such placement would give you bragging rights when submitting your work to a potential buyer.

Two good contests are The Page Awards and Scriptapalooza.

I also recommend you check out Marvin Acuna's website http://www.thebusinessofshowinstitute.com/ if you are serious about getting your script out there in the marketplace.

As to split screen, I would avoid it. It's really become old school. In addition, it's the director, not the writer, who will decide how telephone conversations should be handled.

Here's an excerpt from my book that will help (it's an answer to a writer that asked about this very thing):

Q:  In my screenplay, I want to indicate a phone conversation, i.e. Greg calls Cara, Cara picks up at her house, and as the conversation goes back and forth, the "scene" switches back and forth between Greg's and Cara's apartments.

How do you indicate a phone conversation cleanly and with the least amount of mishmash?

A:  Use a normal scene slug for Greg's call.

INT. GREG'S APARTMENT, KITCHEN – DAY
Greg dials the cordless phone.

Use a second scene slug for Cara's apartment as she answers.

INT. CARA'S APARTMENT – DAY
Cara runs for the phone. Answers.
CARA
Hi...Greg

Then use a left flush, all caps, double space before and after instruction, as follows:

INTERCUT GREG AND CARA.

Or you can say:

INTERCUT PHONE CONVERSATION:

Then write your scene as you would when characters are together in the same place, bearing in mind that your characters are in different locations and can't see each other.

Cheers,
Barry  

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Barry Pearson