Writing Plays/Screenwriting/When are sensory words written in all caps?

Question
Hi Barry. I have seen differing examples of sensory words   written in all caps in screenplays. Should sensory words such as smell, feel, hear, be capitalized?  Also, Should what we hear, smell, or feel be capitalized?  (for example)
 We HEAR the SOUND of a crackling fire.  (or)
 We HEAR the SOUND of a door CREAKING.
Would these examples be correct?  Thank you very much,  Dave

Answer
Hi Dave,

What you're seeing is likely to be a version of the Production Script. What you are certainly writing is a Reading Script. If you want to gain favor with a reader, avoid unnecessary capitalization.

Every capitalization in your examples is unnecessary.

Here's more from my book HOLLYWOOD SCRIPT WRITING MADE EASY. [NB Formatting is forced out of place by the AllExperts rendering].

7.    PRODUCTION SCRIPT
     Definition
     Production script
     A screenplay formatted with scene numbers, camera directions, and capitalized words
     intended for the film production unit.

Example of formatting that might appear in a production script (formatting may vary from the
example given depending on the preference of the production unit). Note the scene numbers on the right and left.

(I have adjusted this sample in order to show the scene numbers.)

47    INT./EXT. LASZLO'S LEXUS, MOVING – DAY          47
      LASZLO takes a LETTER from his pocket and hands it
      to NICOLE. A SIREN blares behind them and LASZLO
      pulls over to the curb, as the FLASHING LIGHTS pass.

This issue is a particular "bęte noire" of mine.

A bit of background: The production script is prepared for the production staff and crew, and it highlights in capitals the elements important to the various areas of production.

If you're just a reader, it's immensely distracting to plough through such a version. For example, you'll see things like…

Joe crosses the street, hears a SIREN.

Someone has capitalized "SIREN" to alert the sound department that they have to record the sound and pass it on to the editor.

Okay, that's the protocol of a production script, which you, as a writer, should put completely out of your mind.

The protocol of a reading script is that you use all-caps when you first introduce a character. After that, in the action element, capitalize only the first letter of the character's name.

If you're using a standard formatting program like Final Draft, it will automatically capitalize other necessary elements like…

SCENE HEADING
SHOT
TRANSITION (CUT TO: DISSOLVE TO:, etc.)
CHARACTER NAME

Don't capitalize unnecessarily when writing narrative description. Don't try to show off your knowledge of production. It will make you look like an amateur.

I hope this clarifies the issue for you.

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Barry Pearson