Writing Plays/Screenwriting/Screenwriting as a Career?

Hi there,

I'm just getting my start in life. After working in fast food for a few months (and working heavy machinery before that) I've come to the realization that what I really want is a job I want.

I have plenty of stories and stuff in my head - but those are mostly pet projects of mine. I'm not really interested in pushing them into the world before they're well and ready. I was wondering what it takes to become a writer for either television or film?

I've seen a lot of things in movies or in TV shows I would have written in different ways. I'm not out to set an industry standard or anything - but I'd like to maybe have the chance to improve what I'm seeing on television. Where would I start, and how would I get my foot in the door? I live in a rural area, far from L.A. or even California. And unfortunately fast food doesn't pay what I'd need to make a change so suddenly.

Lastly - How do you like writing, and your career? I've always loved writing, and was usually the star of the hour when we'd share what we'd written in my creative writing class in high-school, although it was mostly poetry. How can I get the experience I would need to really impress someone?

Thank you for your time and the advice you may give.
Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Hi Jesse,
Once I was where you are now. Written some poetry and just out of high school. So I'm motivated to help you as much as I can.

The most important advice I can give you is that you MUST write every day. No matter what it is.
Every day.

The book I'm finishing this month is called GET STARTED ON YOUR SCREENPLAY NOW. It's in the beta version so I'm looking to get responses (about 100 words or more) from writers. You could be one of those and reap the benefit of what the book has to offer to a beginning writer.

If you write a response, I'll send you a free copy of my book of short stories, which I wrote when I was where you are now. Perhaps you will then try your hand at writing something similar about your experiences or story ideas.

Check me out at my website CREATE YOUR SCREENPLAY

Then send me an e-mail at and let me know if you want to take me up on my offer to send you GET STARTED ON YOUR SCREENPLAY NOW.

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Barry Pearson

I`m a credited writer on nine feature films. My latest movie, IRON ROAD, which stars Peter O'Toole and Sam Neill, opened as feature, then aired as a four-hour miniseries on network television. Sun Li, the Chinese star, won the best actress award at the Roma Fiction Fest recently. I’ve produced more than 300 episodes of television drama, including 13 episodes of Deepwater Black, and 106 episodes of Katts & Dog (Rin-Tin-Tin, K-9 Cop in the U.S.). I've answered over 1200 All Experts questions!

I've been in the business of writing and producing feature films, television series, and MOW's for over 20 years. You can check me out at this URL

You can find my books on Amazon. See DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR STORY ( is a stripped-down readable summary of copyright, full of entertaining anecdotes and real-life examples. Read about the true horror stories that clearly show you what you need to do to avoid the misfortune of having your literary material stolen. Find out: * How to take simple inexpensive steps to protect yourself, before, during, and after you write your literary work. * How copyright law applies to writers of literary works. * How literary works enter public domain, and how you can use it to your advantage. * What aspects of literary works are protected by copyright, and what aspects are not protected. * How to create documentation that will prove your copyright entitlement in the event of an infringement on your rights. * How you can protect yourself if you are contracted to write for television. You’ll also get a FREE sample of an Option and Purchase Agreement, a contract used in the acquisition of rights in a literary property—a contract that you and your lawyer can customize for your property. Written by a writer, for writers, Don’t Let Anyone Steal Your Story will help you protect yourself against plagiarists and anyone else who might infringe your right of sole ownership. ------------- Also on Amazon, my book of four short stories, THE TWENTY-BUSHEL RACER. A man’s redemption from bitterness enables him to become a loving father. A teenager discovers the importance of his attachment to the people in his life and the place where he is growing up. A man, who has for years considered himself a coward and a betrayer of his comrades, musters the courage to stand up against a pair of would-be assassins. Two young men, who grew up in the same town, meet unexpectedly, reminisce about a girl they both loved when they were boys, and unveil a truth that changes both their lives.

Master of Arts degree (Drama)

Among my awards are Best Screenplay, Best Picture, at the International Film & Television Festival of New York for THE LIFE AND TIMES OF EDWIN ALONZO BOYD, Best Screenplay, Feature Film, at the 12th International Film Festival in Sitges, Spain for PLAGUE, and a Special Jury Award, Feature Film at the San Francisco International Film Festival for PLAGUE.