Writing Plays/Screenwriting/Rephrasing

Question
QUESTION: Hi, wondering if I could have help with this small part of my screenplay:

ALEX
I'm starting to get the feeling you weren't meeting up with them at the carnival. Where are we going?

TODD 
You'll see. It's just over here.

Alex takes a glance at the fireworks above, then looks ahead at where he's been taken.

Zack and Tom splash in the shallow waters of the Mississippi. Mark swings on a rope tied to a branch that leads out over the water. They all wear swimsuits.

TODD
You up for it?

I feel that this could be rephrased a little. In my screenplay I do say that where they're at is the Mississippi River. Any suggestions? Merry Christmas!

ANSWER: Hi Aaron,

There are some principles that you might want to follow in the future.

In screenplays, dialogue compression is essential. Watch out for these two flaws:

1. wordy sentences.
ALEX
I'm starting to get the feeling you weren't meeting up with them at the carnival.
A better rendition would be:

I get the feeling you weren't meeting them at the carnival.

Also the line, Alex takes a glance at the fireworks, is spongy. Rely on straight single-word verbs like:
Alex glances at the fireworks.

2. questions intended to prompt information.

ALEX
Where are we going?

This question is what I call a "feeder question"; that is, it's feeding a clue to a character asking for information.

It's much better to let the next speaker volunteer information. Let's suppose the question is eliminated. What options might you have for Todd's line?

TODD
I have a better idea. We're almost there. Look.

Alex spots Zack and Tom splashing in the shallow waters of the Mississippi. Mark swings on a rope tied to a branch overhanging the water. They both wear swimsuits.

TODD
You up for it?

Hope this helps. I recommend that you review your whole script and see how many of these two flaws exist, now that you know how to fix them.

All the best,
Barry

QUESTION: Thanks for the advice. Here's my revision:

ALEX
I get the feeling you weren't meeting up with them at the carnival.

TODD
Don't worry. This is going to be great.

Alex glances at the fireworks, then looks ahead at where he's been taken.

Alex spots Zack and Tom splashing in the shallow waters of the Mississippi. Mark swings on a rope tied to a branch overhanging the water. They all wear swimsuits.

TODD
You up for it?

You wrote "They both wear swimsuits" but since there are 3 of them I wouldn't make sense. So I kept that to "all".

When Alex says: I get the feeling you weren't...

I like it.

I was also thinking about: I'm getting the feeling you weren't...

I thougt either would be fine, but I'm not sure.

Answer
Hi Aaron,

This is much better.

The following needs amendment:

If Alex "glances ahead," it's illogical to say "he's been taken" because he could not possibly be there.

Try: "Alex glances at the fireworks, then looks ahead at where he's being taken."

Or simply: "Alex glances at the fireworks, then looks ahead."

All the best,
Barry

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Barry Pearson