Writing Plays/Screenwriting/treatment

Question
QUESTION: Hello Mr.Pearson

I once ran across something about writing and selling a short treatment rather than screen play.  Can you write and sell a movie idea
If so, how do you organize and write one

thanks.

ANSWER: Hi Demetrius.

Thanks for your question. I'm sure this is an issue that many other writers are curious about.

Unfortunately, the truth is that thousands of writers are striving to sell screenplays that are completed; therefore, the answer to your question is that only established screenplay writers with a terrific success history would be able to sell a short treatment. And often, even THEY have to struggle.

If you wish to gain more insight about writing and selling screenplays, I recommend that you follow Marvin Acuna's newsletters, which you can find on his blog page:

http://www.thebusinessofshowinstitute.com/blog/

Marvin is in the business of helping writers get their scripts read (and, one hopes, produced). He charges for this service.

I am not connected with Marvin in any way. I recommend him because there is a lot of free cogent information about marketing screenplays.

Hope this helps.

Barry

QUESTION: Hi
Your reply leaves me to ask : if a writer writes fiction books, would he or she be better off writing just books and if one sold well then writing script or let others make into movie? This rather than trying to be screenwriter and novel writer simultaneously?
A great many hit  films are based upon bestsellers so shouldn't  hit book come first?

Demetrius

Answer
Hi Demetrius,
You've struck on an important issue, particularly in this age of digital publishing.

I strongly advise you to focus your energy on novel writing. Although the competition in that field is extremely competitive, it doesn't equal competition in the screenwriting jungle.

Also, screenwriting is an artisan skill, very unlike prose writing. It can take years and many scripts to learn the trade.

Competition in feature film writing is fierce. At any one time, there are about one million screenplays circulating in Hollywood. For writers with spec screenplays to peddle, the odds are 99 to 1 that they will be rejected.

And buyers do not prefer spec scripts.  They prefer stories that have a "proven" track record. A good existing stage play or novel, that has sold well, will certainly get some interest from movie makers.

In my own case, I broke into the film and television business because a Canadian broadcast network bought two scripts from me and produced them. That allowed me to launch my career as a producer and writer. If I had not worn two hats, I would not have been financially successful.

But that was then and this is now. The best route for you is to try to approach production companies to consider your books. You have a hugely bigger chance to beat the odds than writing a script yourself.

All the best,
Barry

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Barry Pearson