Writing Plays/Screenwriting/Title page format

Question
I've asked you a question before and received a very useful answer and I would like to thank you for that.

I heard a song that gave me an idea for a short script and I would like to know how I would format the inspired by line on the title page and is it necessary?

Answer
Cassi,

The short answer to your questions is that if this is your script and your movie then you can do anything you like.

The longer answer is that if this is a spec script then the title page has only the title of the script, your name, the words "WGA Registration" but not registration number, and your contact information.  Refer to Dave Trottier's book Formatting Your Screenplay for the definitive placement of that information.

The fact that your story was inspired by a song, book, quote, etc is really irrelevant to the script.  A script has to stand on its own.  So, no dedication line.  Yes, you have seen them.  Just don't.

Also, do NOT place music in your screenplay.  You are just trying to force a prodco into buying the rights to that song; if they can, or making them buy music from you which they do not want to do.

Hopefully, that explanation helped.

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

John M. Lovett