Writing Plays/Screenwriting/Screenplay credits

I recently wrote a screenplay with 2 other writers. One of them created the characters and wrote 60 pages before getting writers block. I wrote one version of the final 30 pages and so did another writer. These were blended together (the majority of what was kept was from the other writer) by the original writer. I then re-wrote nearly all of the dialogue from the first 30 pages as well as much of the action lines. I also made re-writes to the rest of the script. The majority of these changes were kept.

Since all of this there have been some more changes and conservatively I will say I wrote in the area of 1/4 of the finalized script. When the "main" writer submitted the script for copyright he included his own name and the other writer but left mine off.

Should I be on the copyright?

Should my name be listed as one of the writers on the title page since I did no write at least 1/3 of the script?

If my name is on neither does that mean I am unable to claim any writing credit when asked what I've written?

I apologize for taking so long to respond to your question.  I've been working on a film and traveling, which has kept me away from my computer and the print is too small to read on my iPhone.  Anyway, here's my response:

I'm not a lawyer and do not specialize in copyright, so it is difficult for me to answer your question.  I can say that according to Writers Guild of America rules,  if one person rewrites over 50% of the screenplay, that  nullifies any other screenwriter who worked on the screenplay from getting any credit.  

You might want to call WGA.  I think they have a contract division that will help you out.

I hope this has been of help to you.

Best Regards,

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Donald L. Vasicek

Utilizing The Zen of Writing, a writing concept I developed over 40 years of professional writing and filmmaking, I can take you from the inception of your idea to the market. This translates to if you have an idea for a movie or a book, I can guide you through the jungle of writing these tomes all the way to getting it to producers, agents, editors, and/or publishers.

Writer/Consultant for MGM's "Warriors of Virtue"
Writer/Associate Producer for American Film Corporations' "The Lost Heart", "Born To Kill"
Writer/Director/Producer for Olympus Films+'s "Faces" and "Oh, The Places You Can Go..."
Writer/Director/Producer for Olympus Films+'s "The Sand Creek Massacre" Screenwriter for Incline Productions, Inc.'s "The Crown"
Author of "The Write Focus" and "How To Write, Sell, And Get Your Screenplays Produced"

Screenwriters Utopia Simeon Halligan Oscar Technologies Writers Bloc Writing Movies Deeply Shallow EOTU British Screenwriting Institute Word Archive Fitness/Health How To Write A Screenplay Screenplace Furious Pen Self Help Guides Absolute Write Square One Publishers Hollywood Lit. Sales Screenwriters Forum Inkwell Newswatch Digital Cinema Report The Inkspotter KOLA ScriptzMotion Screenplayers.net Screenlabs eNews Events Quarterly The Denver Post Talent Online Management Eclectic Writer Writersblok Success Unlimited The Federated Church of Harvey Park Grit Fourth Estate Colorado Society of Poets Rocky Mountain Legal Assistants Association CALS COURIER National Poetry Press General Aviation News Aim Magazine National Society of Published Poets Wayside Press The Poet Adventures in Poetry Great Contemporary Poems An International Poetry Anthology The U. S. Department of Justice Rocky Mountain Writers Guild, Inc. RIverstone Money Talks Newsletter Master of Life Writers Digest Nevada Screenwriters Group Newsletter Wisconsin Screenwriters Forum The Chesterfield Film Company’s Writer’s Film Project Hollywood Scriptwriter Sundance Institute Screenwriter’s Lab Pool The Journal Aurora Sentinel Westwood The Screenwriter Accent Aurora The Journal of the Writer’s Guild of America Highlander The Write FocusHow To Write, Sell, and Get Your Screenplay Produced Contact Mimir American Poetry Press Colorado Society of Poets Yearbook of Modern Poetry Adventures in Poetry Pegasus Lyrical Voices, An International Poetry AnthologyWestern Fraternal Life Association Newsletter BOOKS: “The Write Focus”“Self-Help Guide to Screenwriting” Writer Consultant “Police-Community Relations” “Me Jane…Not You!” “When We Don’t Remember: A Book About Incest” Ghostwriter “Urban WakeUP”

Graduate, University of Colorado, B. A. in sociology. Graduate, Hollywood Film Institute, Certified as a writer, director, line producer, producer

Filmmaking: Best Film Philip S. Miller Library’s The Bull Theatre Film Project Best Documentary Short American Indian Film Festival Colorado Filmmaker’s Showcase Best Documentary Short The Indie Gathering Film Festival Featured Film Native American Film Festival Excellence Award Videographer’s of America Metro State College of Denver Sand Creek Massacre Commemoration Rhode Island College Multicultural/Unity Center Permanent Placement Screening Finalist Hayden Film Festival Award Winner PYXIX Global Media Network Competition Movie of the Week Tywman Creative Semi-Finalist Moondance International Film Festival Best Native American Film, Golden Drover Award Trail Dust Film Festival Archived, Heard Museum, Phoenix and Archived, The Billie Jean Baguley Library Writing: “Writer’s Digest” Scripts Competition Finalist “The Caller” “Writer’s Digest” Scripts Competition Finalist “The Crown” Houston International Film Festival Finalist “The Crown” Finalist The Chesterfield Film School Competition “The Crown” Rocky Mountain Writer’s Guild Writing Award Finalist, The Sundance Institute, “The Crown”

MGM, American Pictures, Incline Productions, Inc. including over 250 writers, directors, producers, and production companies.