Writing Plays/Screenwriting/Transitions

I'm not sure when to use transitions DISSOLVE TO:  CUT TO: SMASH CUT:  or when to not use a transition at all.  Is it logical to not use a transition when ending one scene, and moving to another close location with no passage of time.   Also, How would you begin a screenplay that opens in total darkness, then the sound of a bomb dropping, with no visual until the bomb explodes on a battlefield.  Thank you.

Hi Dave,

Never use SMASH CUT: It's not the job of the writer to tell the cinematographer how to shoot.
Leave that kind of thing to the professionals on the film set.

As to DISSOLVE TO: my recommendation would be to use it sparingly. It's often used to indicate passage of time. If you want to depict the same location at two successive times with say eight hours having elapsed, DISSOLVE TO: would be useful.

CUT TO used to be employed more prevalently in the past than today. You want to keep your story moving without clutter. I would advise you never to use it when moving from one scene heading to another. The fact that you have inserted a new heading obviously indicates that there has been a cut.

You may find CUT TO useful when you wish put emphasis on a part of a location, such as:

Brad throws the door wide open, then takes a few steps in, looks at the antique cars covered with years of dirt.

CUT TO

A sunny patch near the tire of a 1950 Meteor. A RATTLESNAKE is tightly coiled, tongue flipping out repeatedly.

Brad strolls toward the Meteor. Closer. Closer.

Now about your "total darkness" question.

When the shot is in total darkness, you still have a number of options.

You can use Voice Over (V.O), either narrative or dialogue.

You can use sound effects, like anti aircraft artillery.

You can even use flashes of light from explosions, either to light up an object for a moment, or just as a flash. When a bomb explodes on a battlefield, it typically reveals the scene.

Hope this helps.

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Barry Pearson

I`m a credited writer on nine feature films. My latest movie, IRON ROAD, which stars Peter O'Toole and Sam Neill, opened as feature, then aired as a four-hour miniseries on network television. Sun Li, the Chinese star, won the best actress award at the Roma Fiction Fest recently. www.ironroadthemovie.com) I’ve produced more than 300 episodes of television drama, including 13 episodes of Deepwater Black, and 106 episodes of Katts & Dog (Rin-Tin-Tin, K-9 Cop in the U.S.). I've answered over 1200 All Experts questions!

I've been in the business of writing and producing feature films, television series, and MOW's for over 20 years. You can check me out at this URL http://www.createyourscreenplay.com/aboutbp.htm

You can find my books on Amazon. See DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR STORY (http://tinyurl.com/StoryStealers)which is a stripped-down readable summary of copyright, full of entertaining anecdotes and real-life examples. Read about the true horror stories that clearly show you what you need to do to avoid the misfortune of having your literary material stolen. Find out: * How to take simple inexpensive steps to protect yourself, before, during, and after you write your literary work. * How copyright law applies to writers of literary works. * How literary works enter public domain, and how you can use it to your advantage. * What aspects of literary works are protected by copyright, and what aspects are not protected. * How to create documentation that will prove your copyright entitlement in the event of an infringement on your rights. * How you can protect yourself if you are contracted to write for television. You’ll also get a FREE sample of an Option and Purchase Agreement, a contract used in the acquisition of rights in a literary property—a contract that you and your lawyer can customize for your property. Written by a writer, for writers, Don’t Let Anyone Steal Your Story will help you protect yourself against plagiarists and anyone else who might infringe your right of sole ownership. ------------- Also on Amazon, my book of four short stories, THE TWENTY-BUSHEL RACER. A man’s redemption from bitterness enables him to become a loving father. A teenager discovers the importance of his attachment to the people in his life and the place where he is growing up. A man, who has for years considered himself a coward and a betrayer of his comrades, musters the courage to stand up against a pair of would-be assassins. Two young men, who grew up in the same town, meet unexpectedly, reminisce about a girl they both loved when they were boys, and unveil a truth that changes both their lives.

Master of Arts degree (Drama)

Among my awards are Best Screenplay, Best Picture, at the International Film & Television Festival of New York for THE LIFE AND TIMES OF EDWIN ALONZO BOYD, Best Screenplay, Feature Film, at the 12th International Film Festival in Sitges, Spain for PLAGUE, and a Special Jury Award, Feature Film at the San Francisco International Film Festival for PLAGUE.