Writing Plays/Screenwriting/Black & White w/color scenes

Question
I am a 1930's neo-noir style drama.  How to I indicate this in script?  Would it be strictly visual in opening or somehow call it out in headers?  There are also a few flash forwards in first act... which I indicate as color.  I'm looking for Sin City style B&W with some color for the majority of script.  Not sure how to do this.  Thank you for your time and professional advise.

Diana

Answer
Hi Diana,
A very good question.

It's a good idea to describe what you would like to see on screen, precisely and thoroughly. That will orient a reader right away, and help him or her imagine the style.

Please avoid telling the camera operator what to do. This would mark you as an amateur, unless you are a professional cinematographer, in which case, you're allowed to call a shot or two.

In today's world, B&W is easy to achieve, AFTER the movie is shot; therefore the Director of Photography will shoot everything in color and leave the decisions about B&W to the Editor and Director.

A general description of mood and style is acceptable after FADE IN: so that's where you should establish your desire for neo-noir.

A good way to deal with the flash forwards is as follows:

FLASH FORWARD (COLOR):

EXT. DIANA'S HOUSE - NIGHT

If I were you, I'd avoid calling it out in headers. Unless you are going to be the Producer or the Director, you would be getting a pig in a poke. You would have no way to control how the film makers would interpret that.

Best of success,
Barry

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Barry Pearson