Writing Plays/Screenwriting/screenplay writing, write for the audience, purpose of a screenplay, screenplay writing is special

Question
Hi Barry

I am writing my first drama script and need to input a ANONYMOUS

character at beginning.  Revealing is name later on in the script. I have inputted as below: Would this format be o.k for a reading script. Many thanks Barry E - England

We catch flashes of his face, a MALE (40) as he moves ahead.

In the current scenes: He is ANONYMOUS:    

For now: He is EVIDENT as U.K.

Answer
Hi Barry,
Very interesting question.

The issues here are:
What do you want to do with this character throughout the screenplay?  Is it essential to keep his identity secret for a portion of the screenplay? Till when? And what is the relevance of the discovery of his real name?

When you are writing a screenplay, bear in mind that you are performing a special type of writing. First, your writing is not the final product. The main purpose of your writing is not to have it read to entertain the reader, the way you would if you were writing a novel.

The purpose of your writing is to inform those who are going to make your screenplay into a movie. That fact demands a special type of thinking.

As a screenplay writer, you need to limit yourself to presenting ONLY WHAT THE AUDIENCE WILL SEE AND HEAR.

Typically, you would name every character, but the audience will not see or hear that name until it is supered or subtitled  or spoken; therefore, you have no obligation to keep a name secret from the READER. You only need to keep the name secret from the AUDIENCE.

Second, as a screenplay writer, you have an obligation to the director, the cast, and the crew. You need to be clear about what is going to be seen and heard by the audience so that the production personnel can turn your screenplay into the final product--a motion picture.

If you give a character one name up to page 25 and another name for the rest of the screenplay, you will drive almost everybody in the production personnel crazy.  

You need to give your character whatever his name is going to be and portray his anonymity by the action and dialogue that you write.

All the best of success in your writing career.

Barry

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Barry Pearson