Writing Plays/Screenwriting/Verbage in Dialog

Question
Hi Barry. In my screenplays, I use words in the dialog as I would phrase them in talking to someone. For example:
         I'm gonna take a cab into the city.
         I coulda' wrecked my car.
         How 'bout helping me change my tire.

Is it proper to write dialog like this in a screenplay, or is it more proper to write:
         I'm going to take a cab into the city.
         I could have wrecked my car.
         How about helping me change my tire.

Thanks once again for taking the time to answer a question.

Answer
Hi Dave,
very good question.

Whether it's the right thing to do or not hinges on how much dialect you use. Think of it as "salt in the soup." Use your discretion. Every person has his or her personal tone, selection of speech appropriate to the situation, in a wide range of situations. You need to get into your characters' heads and imagine the speech patterns, then make the dialogue unique to each character.

Here's a sample of different speech patterns from my novel in progress, CITIZEN OF AMERICA.

It's 1811 and the three characters are:

Amanda, 31 years old, born in a poorhouse, adopted and raised by a rich father and sent to an academy for her education. She's reading a book of poems by Wordsworth.

Ophelia, 19 years old, a black slave to a plantation owner, driving the buggy she and Amanda ride in.

Patrick, 19 years old, a highly educated Irish man, on horseback, newly arrived in the U.S.
__________________________
“He’s brilliant at weaving words together,” Amanda said. “But he has prissy ideas that are removed from real life, in my opinion.”

“We’ll do a critical article on Mr. Wordsworth and his prissy poetry,” Patrick said. “Call it ‘Critique from the Cathouse’. Get it published in all the London papers.”

Just then, the right front wheel of the buggy hit a stone and bounced, causing Amanda to make a wild grab at the dashboard. Wordsworth, as a consequence, flopped unceremoniously onto the floor.

“Ophelia, will you take it easy!” she snapped, rescuing the volume of poetry. Then she cradled her injured arm. “Christ, that hurt,” she said.

“I’se sorry. I’se tryin’ t’dodge b’tween the stones an’ the stumps an’ the ruts. How’m I ’spectin’ t’git clear alla’ time.”

Patrick couldn’t help but smile at Ophelia’s sassiness while Amanda reacted.

“Ophelia, look at me,” Amanda said.

“Nossuh, I’m watchin’ thisshere ro-o-oad.”

“I’m not going to suffer the rest of this trip listening to you talk like that. It’s unnecessary. Now, listen to me—and say it after me: ‘I’m sorry, Miss Amanda, I’m trying to avoid the stones and the stumps and the ruts.’”

“I cain’t do that. I’m gonna feel plain foolish doin’ at.”

“All right, let me hear how foolish you can sound. I’m not going to laugh at you. Come on—‘I’m sorry, Miss Amanda—’”

Patrick saw Ophelia’s chin rise, and she erupted with her best sarcastic imitation of a haughty lady, “I’m sor-ry, Miss Aman-da, I’m tryin’ too avoy-oyd th-uh stowns, and-uh the stumpsuh and the rrruts-uh.”

He glanced at Amanda, who tried to maintain her decorum in spite of Ophelia’s comic turn. “Good. Now, how about, ‘I can’t be expected to be perfect.’”

“We both goin’ to hell. Why you wanta put me through thisshere misery before my time?”

“Because I went through it myself, and I know it can be done.”
__________________________________

The above excerpt is surely heavy dialect in places, and in others more standard speech. If there was no dialect depicted, it would be impossible to portray the characters, each with a particular attitude.

In screenplays particularly, characters with attitude are the most appealing to an audience.

Best of success with your writing,

Barry

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Barry Pearson