Writing Plays/Screenwriting/HOW LONG TO GO NOW 3

(This is not a spam question or a homework question)
I was wondering would you please explain to me in a simple way that I can understand: why are movie times always in minuets?

wot I mean by this question is: 220 minutes instead of 2 hours

In motion pictures, each page of screenplay is worth one minute of screen time.  In other words, if you have a 97 page screenplay then the resultant movie is going to be about 97 minutes long.

The use of minutes have been a long standard in the industry.  Acts are broken down into minute based pieces.  In TV, minutes play a much greater role as you have to produce the show to fit around acts and advertising breaks.

A 220 minute movie is three hours and forty minutes long.  A two hour movie is 120 minutes long.  Most screenplays are between 98 and 112 pages or about 100 minutes.  Watch several movies and time them.  You can see how movies are consistently broken down.

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

John M. Lovett

I answer questions regarding film production and screenwriting. I will answer questions dealing with screenwriting style, ideas, film production, format, and agents.

Sixteen years working in the motion picture and television industries as a screenwriter, producer, and military technical advisor. Have two produced movies TWO WEEKS and CATHY MORGAN. Worked with Digital Ranch Productions, Warriors Inc, and Nichols Productions.

CSUF, BA, 1980 UCLA, Certificate in Screenwriting, 2009

Warriors, Inc.
Dreamworks Interactive
Legacy Interactive
Silvertouch Pictures
Synergy Group
Nichols Productions