Writing Plays/Screenwriting/spec scripts, Amazon Studio, copyright, novels versus screenplays, marketing, submitting

Question
Hi Barry, aspiring screenwriter here. I've spent years trying to sell my fiction novels, with little success. Recently I've gotten interested in writing spec scripts, but I'm unsure about how and where to get them noticed.

Right now I'm writing B-horror movie spec scripts and trying to get them sold--think films like "Sharknado" and "Evil Dead". Are you familiar with Amazon Studios and their business practices? Is this a good place to begin, or should I look elsewhere? Is it necessary to register my scripts, or should I stay focused on pumping out the work at this point?

Also: I've been reading that producers favor "microbudget" films--in other words, they prefer scripts with very few special effects or CGI, and that they like films that run about 85-90 minutes. I've been told that following these guidelines greatly improves scriptwriters' chances of selling their work. Is this true? As a spec script writer, I'm trying to get an idea about how much special effects/CGI is permissible in my scripts in order to have a shot at actually selling them.

Any further advice you can give regarding this subject, as well as advice for any aspiring spec script writer, would be much appreciated. I'd also love to ask a follow-up question later, if you're amicable with that. Thanks!

Bobby

Answer
Hi Bobby,
Your situation is the most intriguing I've received in a long while.

I was a writer/producer in the film and television business for over twenty years. Recently I've dedicated my writing time to historical fiction (see www.citizenofamerica.net).

It's possible that I could suggest a strategy that would help you in your writing career. The singular important thing I could provide is to steer you away from the dead alleys.

In addition to my novel I am rewriting two of my screenplay writing non-fiction books. In the past, these books were sold online.

Why am I telling you this?

Well, I will send you the two e-books, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE STORY, and WRITE DIALOGUE LIKE A PRO.
No charge, except that I would be interested to get your opinion on them before I publish them.

E-mail me at barry@barrypearson.com and I will e-mail the books to you by attachment.

Now, the succinct response to your questions:

----I've spent years trying to sell my fiction novels, with little success. Recently I've gotten interested in writing spec scripts, but I'm unsure about how and where to get them noticed.

I strongly believe that you will have a better chance at success if you continue to improve and dedicate yourself to your novels with an aim to get them published, no matter how small the publisher (but no vanity publishers). Note that a large number of movies are adaptations from novels, or other similar sources, stage plays, short stories, etc.

----Right now I'm writing B-horror movie spec scripts and trying to get them sold--think films like "Sharknado" and "Evil Dead".

Please ask yourself, why are these stories better in screenplay form than in novel form?

----Are you familiar with Amazon Studios and their business practices?

I have not used Amazon Studios, even though I am a professional writer, and I also publish on Amazon.

----Is this a good place to begin, or should I look elsewhere?

This route is probably not one that would yield results for you.

----Is it necessary to register my scripts,

No. Your work is "copyright in manuscript," meaning that everything you put on paper is automatically copyrighted by law. Registering the work proves that it existed at a certain point in time. You can not copyright an idea. Only the words you write can be copyrighted.

----or should I stay focused on pumping out the work at this point?

I'm sure you realize that it's quality that counts, not necessarily quantity. Your novels may be just short of publication quality. The most important element is the storytelling. My book IT'S ALL ABOUT THE STORY may help you to improve your storytelling. Dialogue is the next important element. That's why I wrote a book about it.

----Also: I've been reading that producers favor "microbudget" films--in other words, they prefer scripts with very few special effects or CGI, and that they like films that run about 85-90 minutes. I've been told that following these guidelines greatly improves scriptwriters' chances of selling their work. Is this true?

These "guidelines" may help but in many situations they may not be true. Sometimes a production can save a lot of money by using CGI elements.

Another downside is that more writers try to write low budget scripts thinking that they'll be easier to sell. Not true, because the competition is fierce.

----As a spec script writer, I'm trying to get an idea about how much special effects/CGI is permissible in my scripts in order to have a shot at actually selling them.

This is one of those "it depends" situations. Don't waste your precious writing time thinking about CGI etc.

----Any further advice you can give regarding this subject, as well as advice for any aspiring spec script writer, would be much appreciated.

The best advice I can give you is that it's easier to publish a novel than to sell a spec script. At any one point in time, I'm told that there are approximately over a million scripts available in the Hollywood script pool. And Hollywood buyers prefer scripts that have been proven in another medium. Novels are high on the list. If you get a novel published, you get to go to the upper part of the pool.

----I'd also love to ask a follow-up question later, if you're amicable with that. Thanks!

e-mail me anytime at the address I gave you above. You'll get a quicker answer that way.

Cheers,
Barry  

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Barry Pearson