Writing Plays/Screenwriting/Black and White in Slugline

Question
My spec script starts in the 1964 switching back and forth between three scenes.  I want these scenes to be in black and white and wanted to know your opinion on using the following in the slugline.

##BLACK AND WHITE SEQUENCE## - CONTINUOUS

As I rapidly switch from scene to scene that I want in B&W id it ok to include this in every slugline or a better way to accomplish this.  Secondly, when I transition to color what should the slugline, or your suggestion, look like.

Thank you

Answer
Greg,

For the definitive answer to screenplay formatting questions, I would check out David Trottier's book The Screenwriters Bible.  You can also email him at dave@keepwriting.com.

My observation is switching back and forth between three scenes would be a little complicated.  Switching between two scenes is okay; one of which is in color and the other in B/W to signify the difference.

I do not know how Trottier would format this but my take would be that the color issue would be in the narrative and not the slugline.

INT. HOUSE - CURRENT - DAY

The room is drenched in summer colors.

INT. HOUSE - 1965 - DAY

The room appears in black and white like an old TV.

Once you establish the rooms' condition, when you switch back and forth you do not need to repeat the slugline.

Good luck and keep writing.

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

John M. Lovett