Writing Plays/Screenwriting/self published and screenwriing

My question is that if someone has ebooks on Amazon would this in any way be of any help (or hurt) in submitting a proposal  for a screen play or television series?

ANSWER: Hi Demetrius,

A good question.  

In general, having a book published is a plus. Producers like to follow in the footsteps of success.

In your case, you might run into some reluctance because so many movies have already been based on Sherlock Holmes, but on the other hand your books have unique twists.

As you mention in your essays on Amazon, Arthur Conan Doyle created a detective that used the scientific approach to solving crimes, and that model has endured and grown, and is still going strong today.

Series Television thrives on crime solving, and so do Movies. I'd say you've got a leg up submitting proposals for your work.

Give it a go!

I have other ideas which may be good movie proposal material besides Sherlock Holmes.
What steps should I take? Should I wait until I have completed a book first and then sell movie? Or sell movie idea of it right now?
I say this because in a few instances I believe there was a movie first then a book. Is there a choice that works best?

Hi Demetrius,

One thing I know from being a producer and a screenplay writer for over 25 years is this: you have a better chance of selling a published novel (or even a short story) to a production company or a studio than you have selling a screenplay.

In the film and television business, "ideas" are not a dime a dozen, they're a dime a thousand.

Write your novel, or novelette, publish it and then you can pitch it.

You need to know that if you publish with a traditional publisher, rather than just to Amazon or Smashwords, say, you have a significantly large advantage selling your work to the movie makers, the reason being that you would have larger exposure of your work, and movie makers lust for stories that have a following and have already been promoted around the world.

Traditional publishers have an open sesame to newspapers, who will review your work and spread the news that your book has been released.

Writers who publish on Amazon-type digital platforms, cannot get wide access to newspaper promotion. Ninety percent of newspapers flatly reject self-published work.

It's a long shot, even if you have sold, say, a thousand copies of your work. You would have to prove that those were arms-length purchases.  I think it was John Locke who published a novel and personally bought thousands of his own books (he admitted that he did this). As it happened, buyers for his works flocked to the internet to buy his novels. He did his own promotion.

Most writers like you and me, cannot afford to self promote, or don't want to spend time and effort self promoting.

A last point: you have already published some books in the Sherlock genre. You could start with those to test the waters.

Best of success, Demetrius,

Keep on writing.

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Barry Pearson

I`m a credited writer on nine feature films. My latest movie, IRON ROAD, which stars Peter O'Toole and Sam Neill, opened as feature, then aired as a four-hour miniseries on network television. Sun Li, the Chinese star, won the best actress award at the Roma Fiction Fest recently. I’ve produced more than 300 episodes of television drama, including 13 episodes of Deepwater Black, and 106 episodes of Katts & Dog (Rin-Tin-Tin, K-9 Cop in the U.S.). I've answered over 1200 All Experts questions!

I've been in the business of writing and producing feature films, television series, and MOW's for over 20 years. You can check me out at this URL

You can find my books on Amazon. See DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR STORY ( is a stripped-down readable summary of copyright, full of entertaining anecdotes and real-life examples. Read about the true horror stories that clearly show you what you need to do to avoid the misfortune of having your literary material stolen. Find out: * How to take simple inexpensive steps to protect yourself, before, during, and after you write your literary work. * How copyright law applies to writers of literary works. * How literary works enter public domain, and how you can use it to your advantage. * What aspects of literary works are protected by copyright, and what aspects are not protected. * How to create documentation that will prove your copyright entitlement in the event of an infringement on your rights. * How you can protect yourself if you are contracted to write for television. You’ll also get a FREE sample of an Option and Purchase Agreement, a contract used in the acquisition of rights in a literary property—a contract that you and your lawyer can customize for your property. Written by a writer, for writers, Don’t Let Anyone Steal Your Story will help you protect yourself against plagiarists and anyone else who might infringe your right of sole ownership. ------------- Also on Amazon, my book of four short stories, THE TWENTY-BUSHEL RACER. A man’s redemption from bitterness enables him to become a loving father. A teenager discovers the importance of his attachment to the people in his life and the place where he is growing up. A man, who has for years considered himself a coward and a betrayer of his comrades, musters the courage to stand up against a pair of would-be assassins. Two young men, who grew up in the same town, meet unexpectedly, reminisce about a girl they both loved when they were boys, and unveil a truth that changes both their lives.

Master of Arts degree (Drama)

Among my awards are Best Screenplay, Best Picture, at the International Film & Television Festival of New York for THE LIFE AND TIMES OF EDWIN ALONZO BOYD, Best Screenplay, Feature Film, at the 12th International Film Festival in Sitges, Spain for PLAGUE, and a Special Jury Award, Feature Film at the San Francisco International Film Festival for PLAGUE.