Writing Plays/Screenwriting/Points? Profit Points?

Question
Hi
I ran across the term "profit points" having to do with movies and can't find a clear explanation.
Should screenwriters and authors selling their book to producers be concerned?

thanks

Answer
Hi Demetrius,
"Profit points" is a slangy way of saying "percentage of the profits," and most of us who have been in the business know that there seldom is any profit that trickles down to the talent that made the pic.

If you're selling your literary property, I recommend you get as much as you can up-front. Secondly make every effort to become a member of the Writers Guild of America. It has rules that forces the higher-ups to pay you residual fees according to their agreement with producers.

Not all producers have such an agreement, in which case you're on your own. Make every effort to get all the fees you can up-front, and assume that there will be no profit coming to you.

Good luck,
Barry

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Barry Pearson