Writing Plays/Screenwriting/How to write the horror-movie

Question
Hi Barry

Horror is popular. Some readers complain that Steven King isn't scary etc.
Since you have written a successful horror screenplay, would you give a few tips on writing horror?

I myself have written horror.

thanks

Demetrius

Answer
Hi Demetrius,

The horror genre, like other genres, has many sub-genres, and writers often take the liberty to straddle or step over the boundaries. For example, would you call THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS a horror pic? Or THE REVENANT?  

Zombie movies are almost all in the center of the genre, but there are twists as in WARM BODIES, which turns out to be a love story with a redemption ending.

Therefore if you want to write a horror screenplay, you're almost obligated to go far afield, come up with new twists, while still creating a Villain that is homicidal, terrifying and seemingly invincible.

The genre cannot be treated with condescension. This type of story has been honed and polished over hundreds of years. Respect it, or don't write it.

When you are outlining your horror-flick you have at least two options regarding the Hero: he or she can be alone against the villain, or the Hero can have a Bonding Character who helps the Hero defeat the villain.

In THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS Jodie Foster has an incarcerated Bonding Character, Hannibal Lector, who assists her in finding and defeating the Villain.

On the other hand, many other movies set up a on-on-one

The Hero of a horror movie needs to be created as an innocent, unsuspecting, but clever and resourceful person, who is randomly targeted, or who accidentally falls into the path of the evil Villain.  

In the horror movie, the Hero spends about three quarters of the movie escaping and eluding the pursuit of the Villain, and the last quarter of the movie evolving into a "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it any more" person. The Hero then devises an attack strategy to seek out and destroy the Villain.

The Villain is the character that you need to work hard on to create the most frightening beast you can.

To write a professional horror script the writer must watch hundreds of films of the genre in order to immerse himself or herself in the kinds of twists, surprises, shocks that the horror movie need. If a writer really works at this, he or she will be ready to write one.  

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Barry Pearson