Writing Plays/Screenwriting/research

Question
QUESTION: Hi
How did you do the drone research for Ciao Ciao Bang Bang your latest thriller?

ANSWER: Hi Demetrius,

Previously in my writing career I relied upon books from the library, and books I bought. Then the internet came along in the 80's and 90's and gradually information of all kinds accumulated on the internet, and slowly I switched from paper info to pages on my computer screen.

At the same time as current and recent information built up in the cloud, inputting and scanning older books, the leader of which was the Gutenberg Project that digitized thousands of public domain books. For any writers who are writing about times past, Gutenberg is a gem.

The internet of today is a monster collection of search engines that can deliver almost any information that exists.

For my upcoming novel CITIZEN OF AMERICA, I am writing in the era of the war of 1812, and I have been able to access writers and journalists who wrote in that period of time, so I get authentic reality to work with.

As for CIAO, CIAO, BANG, BANG, a screenplay, I worked on the story with the Australian screenwriter, David Kenny, who wrote the screenplay. Both of us tapped the internet for military and espionage secrets, and especially CIA methods. We were able to use futuristic military drone technology as a key thread in the screenplay.

In the "old" days, I would have interviewed experts on the topic (time-consuming, sometimes expensive) in order to get what I needed. Today, almost always, a writer doesn't need to leave his or her desk to back up the verisimilitude of a story.

Barry

QUESTION: Thanks for the reply,Barry.
But I noticed that in Citizens of America you also have characters  speak in accents. Some may be another race and/or dialects that may
Not be spoken today. How is this accomplished?

Answer
Accented dialogue can be tricky, especially for beginning writers, who often overdo the accented words, and thus annoy the reader. I have been guilty of doing that myself.

The ideal is to establish the sense of accented or dialectical speech. I have (now and in the past) known people personally who were Irish and German; therefore in CITIZEN OF AMERICA, I felt quite comfortable in portraying those accents.

For those writers who don't have contacts, internet videos might be a way to get a sense of a character's English use. Failing that, I'd recommend seeking out an appropriate foreign speaker and taping a conversation that could be used later.

Barry

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Barry Pearson