Writing Plays/Screenwriting/Constructing English Songs played in Movies and Plays from Poems.

Dear Barry

Are there English songs constructed and played in English Movies and English Plays from English Poems?

Hi Prashant,
Yes there are. But you need to be careful of copyright infringement. You can find my book "Don't Let Anyone Steal Your Story" on Amazon at

This book is the A to Z copyright manual for writers.

If you wish to use songs and poems in your work, they need to be in the public domain. Here is an excerpt from my book that deals with when books are in the public domain:

Works published before January 1, 1923 are in the public domain.

Works published between 1923 and 1963, when published with copyright notice, are protected for 28 years, and this protection could be renewed for 47 years – now extended by 20 years – for a total renewal of 67 years. If not so renewed, such works are now in the public domain.

In the U.S., works published in 1923 and renewed will not fall into the public domain until 2019(but in other countries that have a term of 70 years from the author's death, many such works have already entered the public domain.)

Stupidly complicated, isn't it?

I hope this helps.

Best of success with your writing.

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Barry Pearson

I`m a credited writer on nine feature films. My latest movie, IRON ROAD, which stars Peter O'Toole and Sam Neill, opened as feature, then aired as a four-hour miniseries on network television. Sun Li, the Chinese star, won the best actress award at the Roma Fiction Fest recently. I’ve produced more than 300 episodes of television drama, including 13 episodes of Deepwater Black, and 106 episodes of Katts & Dog (Rin-Tin-Tin, K-9 Cop in the U.S.). I've answered over 1200 All Experts questions!

I've been in the business of writing and producing feature films, television series, and MOW's for over 20 years. You can check me out at this URL

You can find my books on Amazon. See DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR STORY ( is a stripped-down readable summary of copyright, full of entertaining anecdotes and real-life examples. Read about the true horror stories that clearly show you what you need to do to avoid the misfortune of having your literary material stolen. Find out: * How to take simple inexpensive steps to protect yourself, before, during, and after you write your literary work. * How copyright law applies to writers of literary works. * How literary works enter public domain, and how you can use it to your advantage. * What aspects of literary works are protected by copyright, and what aspects are not protected. * How to create documentation that will prove your copyright entitlement in the event of an infringement on your rights. * How you can protect yourself if you are contracted to write for television. You’ll also get a FREE sample of an Option and Purchase Agreement, a contract used in the acquisition of rights in a literary property—a contract that you and your lawyer can customize for your property. Written by a writer, for writers, Don’t Let Anyone Steal Your Story will help you protect yourself against plagiarists and anyone else who might infringe your right of sole ownership. ------------- Also on Amazon, my book of four short stories, THE TWENTY-BUSHEL RACER. A man’s redemption from bitterness enables him to become a loving father. A teenager discovers the importance of his attachment to the people in his life and the place where he is growing up. A man, who has for years considered himself a coward and a betrayer of his comrades, musters the courage to stand up against a pair of would-be assassins. Two young men, who grew up in the same town, meet unexpectedly, reminisce about a girl they both loved when they were boys, and unveil a truth that changes both their lives.

Master of Arts degree (Drama)

Among my awards are Best Screenplay, Best Picture, at the International Film & Television Festival of New York for THE LIFE AND TIMES OF EDWIN ALONZO BOYD, Best Screenplay, Feature Film, at the 12th International Film Festival in Sitges, Spain for PLAGUE, and a Special Jury Award, Feature Film at the San Francisco International Film Festival for PLAGUE.