Writing Plays/Screenwriting/Questions Answered by Expert Barry Pearson

SubjectDate Asked
adaptation from a novel11/27/2016
  Q: I really want to write a screenplay adaptation of a novel from the 1970s. It was popular in its day, ...
  A: I can steer you in the right direction. That is not an issue. The issue in this situation is that a ...
Constructing English Songs played in Movies and Plays from Poems.7/15/2016
  Q: Are there English songs constructed and played in English Movies and English Plays from English ...
  A: Yes there are. But you need to be careful of copyright infringement. You can find my book "Don't Let ...
For the screen, not book6/26/2016
  Q: I've had an interest in writing a novel - possibly a series of novels - for some time, although with ...
  A: Novels are punishingly hard to write. I know, because I'm finishing one. Breaking into the film and ...
research5/14/2016
  Q: How did you do the drone research for Ciao Ciao Bang Bang your latest thriller?
  A: Previously in my writing career I relied upon books from the library, and books I bought. Then the ...
Need Cinema Updates4/27/2016
  Q: Is there any simplest ways to get the most recent updated cinema news manually?
  A: The best supply of Hollywood Cinema news is The Hollywood Reporter. Check out the Hollywood ...
Points? Profit Points?2/13/2016
  Q: I ran across the term "profit points" having to do with movies and can't find a clear explanation. ...
  A: "Profit points" is a slangy way of saying "percentage of the profits," and most of us who have been ...
How to write the horror-movie2/8/2016
  Q: Horror is popular. Some readers complain that Steven King isn't scary etc. Since you have written a ...
  A: The horror genre, like other genres, has many sub-genres, and writers often take the liberty to ...
Submitting your novel to movie producers11/20/2015
  Q: If I write a book, log line and summary, should I or is it important to also to write and have a ...
  A: You're on the right track; that is, you need a one-sentence catch-phrase to promote your book, and a ...
literary agents10/29/2015
  Q: Many writers would like to know when is the time to get an agent? I have seen the Catch 22 ...
  A: Yes, the issue of agents or not agents is a conundrum. The landscape of agencies is changing. ...
Could such things still happen today?10/23/2015
  Q: I remember reading about the 80's and 90's, when spec screenplays, although never easy to sell, ...
  A: I was in the movie and television business in the 80's and 90's, and I'll bet that stories of ...
screenplay writing, write for the audience, purpose of a screenplay, screenplay writing is special10/1/2015
  Q: I am writing my first drama script and need to input a ANONYMOUS character at beginning. Revealing ...
  A: Very interesting question. The issues here are: What do you want to do with this character ...
character9/24/2015
  Q: Your books tell about characters. In one of my story ideas, the main character is female. But she ...
  A: My take on this is that male warriors are a dime a dozen. So--if your warrior is a female, you have ...
selling novel to the movies8/31/2015
  Q: If an ebook hasn't sold a ton of copies, or not enough, can it still be appealing to movie ...
  A: A published book, aside from how many copies it sold, has a certain gravitas over a raw script. If ...
Does it mean I should give up?8/8/2015
  Q: One of my screenplays is similar to a movie which is about to be released...There are differences, ...
  A: I, and almost all professional screenwriters, have experienced what you're experiencing, or ...
self published and screenwriing8/5/2015
  Q: My question is that if someone has ebooks on Amazon would this in any way be of any help (or hurt) ...
  A: A good question. In general, having a book published is a plus. Producers like to follow in the ...
spec scripts, Amazon Studio, copyright, novels versus screenplays, marketing, submitting4/7/2015
  Q: aspiring screenwriter here. I've spent years trying to sell my fiction novels, with little success. ...
  A: Your situation is the most intriguing I've received in a long while. I was a writer/producer in the ...
Where can I get technical advice for the medical dialogue/procedures side of my script? Thanks.3/6/2015
  Q: Sorry to bother you. I have just finished my 1st tv drama script(big, exciting deal in my little ...
  A: First of all, the nature of the medical procedures will govern what type of specialist you will ...
How much does country of screewriter matter?2/24/2015
  Q: You're Canadian (very close to my area) but would you or Canadian writers have any problem writing a ...
  A: Nice to hear from you. Your question is an interesting one. Here's how I have always viewed this ...
Format Question2/5/2015
  Q: In one of my screenplays, the scene opens to a black screen. We hear the sound of bombs dropping. ...
  A: Here's the way to do it: FADE IN: TO BLACK SCREEN FLASHBACK: EXT. PEARL HARBOR, USS WEST VIRGINIA ...
Verbage in Dialog2/3/2015
  Q: In my screenplays, I use words in the dialog as I would phrase them in talking to someone. For ...
  A: very good question. Whether it's the right thing to do or not hinges on how much dialect you use. ...
Formatting question2/2/2015
  Q: In my screenplay, the scene shifts from a battlefield to Washington, D.C. The new scene shows a ...
  A: Nice to hear from you again. Answer to yourIf you insert the scene heading as in your question, it ...
Rephrasing12/30/2014
  Q: wondering if I could have help with this small part of my screenplay: ALEX I'm starting to get the ...
  A: This is much better. The following needs amendment: Alex glances at the fireworks, then looks ...
treatment12/22/2014
  Q: Pearson I once ran across something about writing and selling a short treatment rather than screen ...
  A: I'm sure this is an issue that many other writers are curious about. Unfortunately, the truth is ...
Favorite novel.12/18/2014
  Q: It is difficult to answer but still do you feel Romeo and Juliet is the best novel by Shakespeare ...
  A: First, Romeo and Juliet is not a novel, it's a stage play. As far as I'm concerned, there are a ...
Exposition9/15/2014
  Q: How do I control the exposition when it's necessary in a scene? However again, whenever I read my ...
  A: This skill is an important one for a writer to master. The bane of developing writers is that they ...
Formatting question8/19/2014
  Q: In my screenplay, Al and Bill are sitting on a couch eating popcorn and watching TV. The nightly ...
  A: This is a typical insert format: Al and Bill are sitting on a couch eating popcorn and watching TV. ...
Black & White w/color scenes8/15/2014
  Q: I am a 1930's neo-noir style drama. How to I indicate this in script? Would it be strictly visual ...
  A: A very good question. It's a good idea to describe what you would like to see on screen, precisely ...
Narrative Format8/13/2014
  Q: In my screenplay, Al and Bill are sitting on Al's porch, talking about Carl, who volunteers at a ...
  A: Typically you'd handle the formatting thus: EXT. AL'S PORCH - DAY Al and Bill are sitting on Al's ...
Transitions7/28/2014
  Q: I'm not sure when to use transitions DISSOLVE TO: CUT TO: SMASH CUT: or when to not use a ...
  A: Never use SMASH CUT: It's not the job of the writer to tell the cinematographer how to shoot. Leave ...
Screenplay question6/6/2014
  Q: I have two questions for you. First, in my new screenplay, a man's deceased grandfather ...
  A: Two intriguing questions. See my answers below. First, in my new screenplay, a man's deceased ...
Screenwriter's Guild vs Copyright5/29/2014
  Q: I have a question concerning screenplay protection. I have just finished a script. Is a registration ...
  A: This is a very important question. In the past I've corresponded with so many writers who have ...
TV4/20/2014
  Q: This is another Barry Canucklehead! I am a big fan of paranormal TV shows. Maybe that's because I ...
  A: This is indeed an unusual question. I should say right off the top, if you're looking to be paid, ...
bundling film screenplay3/12/2014
  Q: Have a studio interested in my spec film script-want to make sure the bundling is proper. Is what I ...
  A: I see that you're dotting your "i"'s and crossing your "t"'s. A good idea. If the studio says you ...
introducing character's name in screenplay2/18/2014
  Q: Is this character introduction correct? CRAZY MAN is being introduced for first time: INT. BAR - ...
  A: It's the little things that get us from time to time, isn't it? The main objective is keep the ...
selling a story idea2/12/2014
  Q: Pearson Sometimes I see on TV show or movie "Story Idea by" or "Based on a story idea by" Is it ...
  A: There are some hard realities about breaking into television that you should be aware of. Ideas and ...
scene heading1/20/2014
  Q: I'm confused with slugline even now.Like a scene takes place on a big place and camera shots changes ...
  A: I share your sense of frustration; if fact, so many writers have asked me questions about script ...
Screenwriting as a Career?1/7/2014
  Q: I'm just getting my start in life. After working in fast food for a few months (and working heavy ...
  A: Once I was where you are now. Written some poetry and just out of high school. So I'm motivated to ...
PLEASE I NEED YOUR HELP12/27/2013
  Q: It's wonderful to be able to write directly to a professional like you and get a professional ...
  A: You should probably know that writing a screenplay is an arduous, complicated endeavor. Many people ...
Mentoring12/4/2013
  Q: I'm writing because I have a senior career project that calls for a total of 18 hours of mentoring. ...
  A: What you're asking is outside the scope of "experting," but we could probably work out some kind of ...
PLEASE I NEED YOUR HELP11/20/2013
  Q: I have a passion for writing and i write poems, and a lot of articles. I have ideas and great ...
  A: It's a good thing that you realize you need guidance, and are seeking it. Let's walk through your ...
query9/12/2013
  Q: My question is: When and where we use the term ' CONTINUOUS' with slug line in the scene? Please ...
  A: Good question. Here's an excerpt from my book HOLLYWOOD SCRIPT FORMATTING MADE EASY. Never ...
Emdash punctuation8/21/2013
  Q: Is it proper to use a punctuation mark when an emdash is used. i.e. GEORGE ...
  A: I'm on the road, and I've only received this a minute ago. It isn't customary to use ...
SCREENPLAY CONTESTS8/17/2013
  Q: Do you personally feel that screenplay contests can serve to advance one's screenplay? Also, How do ...
  A: It's possible that entering your work in contest could yield benefits, provided you rank in the top ...
When are sensory words written in all caps?8/15/2013
  Q: I have seen differing examples of sensory words written in all caps in screenplays. Should sensory ...
  A: What you're seeing is likely to be a version of the Production Script. What you are certainly ...
"beat" vs. "em-dash"8/15/2013
  Q: It seems that the usage of "beat", and the "em-dash" are very similar. Can you provide a distinction ...
  A: They are not at all the same. An em dash in dialogue signifies that a speaker is interrupted as in ...
query8/14/2013
  Q: My set of questions are: 1. In final draft software, where we should type technical jargon like ...
  A: Here's the succinct answers to your questions (please note that the AllExpert answer platform messes ...
query8/14/2013
  Q: My Question is: If a scene is taking place in exterior and it is the very first scene of ...
  A: Please remember that the AllExperts page doesn't hold script formatting correctly. Ordinarily you ...
Em-dash usage8/14/2013
  Q: I have understood that an em-dash is to be used only in the context of dialogue. I have been reading ...
  A: I too see a lot of formatting mistakes in the scripts I read. An em dash is acceptable everywhere ...
similar ideas/screenplays...7/12/2013
  Q: It happens to find out some of my screenplays are similar to others already in production, or ...
  A: "Similar ideas" between your screenplays and others is not a problem. All that counts is how you ...
musical6/27/2013
  Q: I have written 2 musicals for adults and I am interested in finding out how to publish the musicals ...
  A: First of all, you and the other writers are protected already by copyright law. You might be wise ...
Romantic Comedy Format4/4/2013
  Q: My screenplay is a Rom-Com, in which I tell the story of how I met my wife, and the twists and turns ...
  A: When I get your e-mail (see my answer to your previous question, I'll select the materials that will ...
Recorded music in a screenplay4/3/2013
  Q: My screenplay is set in the 70's and 80's, and involves my experiences as a night club singer. ...
  A: Sounds like a good topic for a screenplay. Music in movies is an issue I had to deal with many ...
reader3/17/2013
  Q: what is the work of a reader, is he/she the only who will read my screenplay and select or reject? ...
  A: If you are able to persuade a buyer (studio, production company, network, distributor) to read your ...
"OVER" and "UNDER"3/14/2013
  Q: What do "OVER" and "UNDER" mean here? --- The others all raise their glasses ...
  A: There are various ways of spelling out interrupted or overlapping speeches. Three dots in in middle ...
Dialogues and scenes1/18/2013
  Q: I have a problem when i write a script, i write mostly used dialogues and scenes which have been ...
  A: Obviously you've been influenced by the English language movies you've watched. If you write in your ...
Hammerstein12/26/2012
  Q: Lately I have been watching some film adaptations of old plays including Rogers & Hammerstein and I ...
  A: The original play *Green Grow the Lilacs* was written by Lynn Riggs in 1931, and turned into a ...
Writing and formatting screenplays12/20/2012
  Q: sir, i want to know that how much knowledge required to a screenwriter, i am new and want to ...
  A: It's evident that English is your second language. If you want to write screenplays, you need to ...
Screenwriting11/18/2012
  Q: Pearson, Well one thing is certain you have seen this question before. I have in idea for a movie ...
  A: Writing a screenplay is very much different than Writing a book, or a stage play. I recommend that ...
need a stepping stone to the top of the world10/26/2012
  Q: a 13 year old boy starts talking and visiting with aliens, he I sworn to secrecy until he is in the ...
  A: Sounds to me as if you possess a lot of creativity, and the premise of your screenplay could be ...
Targeting your market9/27/2012
  Q: Pearson, I'd first like to thank you for any time you may take in reading this. I greatly ...
  A: It's good that you're asking this question before you invest huge amounts of time writing ...
High Concept9/17/2012
  Q: Barry Pearson: High Concept uses a special twist, which is put somewhere within the plot. Does that ...
  A: The idea of "High Concept" has been best defined and talked about by the screenwriter Steve Kaire. ...
story writing, bonding character, structure, movies, hero, bonding character, It's All About The Story,9/4/2012
  Q: i have good imagination capabilities, i love to read novels and write novels. but how to organize ...
  A: It depends on what type of writing you want to do. Fiction? Television? Screenplays? The skills ...
Slug Line Usage8/24/2012
  Q: I referenced a beach in the title sequence of my script. I now want to use that same beach as a ...
  A: I'd really like to help you with this, but I'll need to see your title sequence reference in order ...
Screenplay advice8/23/2012
  Q: I'm working on revising a spec script I just wrote. Both my leading man and leading lady are ...
  A: Set your mind at ease. See my responses below. Q. How much leeway (if any) do I have in suggesting ...
Schools for Screenwriting7/25/2012
  Q: She has a BA in Creating Writing and English from a private college. I am concerned with the ...
  A: I happen to be on the road right now. I'll be back in the office on August first;after then I can ...
changes6/11/2012
  Q: After looking over your reply, I made some changes to the story. Thanks. When you stated to make it ...
  A: I'm not sure how this ended up on AllExperts. In our time, we're used to multiethnic societies, and ...
rights5/22/2012
  Q: We discussed rights to Sherlock Holmes. I just remembered I had emailed Mike Hogan who has written ...
  A: I checked out Mike Hogan's work. I would think that, if Jon Lellenberg (or any of the others who ...
copyright of Holmes5/17/2012
  Q: When I asked who owns the rights to Sherlock Holmes, you wrote it's not necessary to deal with the ...
  A: I am not a lawyer, and therefore I only opine as a layman, on the basis of my personal research, but ...
Play writing5/8/2012
  Q: I have read with great interest your "Rights vs 'Inspired by'" article in All Experts. I have taken ...
  A: First of all, you must understand that I am not a lawyer, so I can't advise on legal matters. I can ...
Formatting3/5/2012
  Q: I am writing my first script and was wondering if its OK to include camera directions such as "push ...
  A: Here's an excerpt on this topic from my formatting book. It's a good thing you asked. If you're ...
Screenwriting book(s) question2/20/2012
  Q: Back in 1933, Syd Field's book, Screenplay, was not available to screenwriters or filmmakers back ...
  A: In 1933, the era of modern movies was in its infancy. Movies with sound had only debuted (with The ...
rights2/3/2012
  Q: How can I find out who owns the rights to Sherlcck Holmes and how to get permission to write a ...
  A: Not necessary to deal with the estate. Note the quote below from this web site: ...
Selling my Screenplays1/12/2012
  Q: Pearson, Before I ask my question I would like to thank you beforehand for taking time away from ...
  A: First of all, let me congratulate you on your tenacity. There aren't many developing writers who ...
MUSIC12/21/2011
  Q: I read your good answer before about MUSIC OVER SCENE below the slugline, but where and how do you ...
  A: Please note that in formatting the scene heading you should always give the time of day. One of ...
writting a play for the book her bak.12/13/2011
  Q: I am writing a play from the book Her bak. the original Her bak was privately printed in a limited ...
  A: The original author of Her Bak is deceased. Her daughter Lucie Lamy may still be alive, I don't ...
Re: Writer's block12/5/2011
  Q: To who is may concern, I thank you for your time, you have spent on this site and I am sure it ...
  A: There are two issues here. The first is the fact that English is at least your second language. ...
Thanks in advance! Script Contest Question10/19/2011
  Q: I am an aspiring writer who recently came across a contest featured on my state's film office ...
  A: I just Googled the contest you mentioned. The contest is a screenplay writing contest. This means ...
Question10/17/2011
  Q: Mr Barry. I'm very happy to find this websit. So here is my problem: I'm in Democratic Republic of ...
  A: I regularly get questions from writers in other countries about what's involved in selling or ...
what do they want9/7/2011
  Q: i'm college student aspiring to be a film maker in sci-fi and phantasy. Somthing has hit me ...
  A: If you're in college, you're probably in your twenties. The question you should be asking yourself ...
Using real locations in a screenplay8/23/2011
  Q: I read the response you gave to someone back in March about this subject. You stated in that ...
  A: It's true that the more you fictionalize, the less you have to worry about being sued. When most ...
Capitalization in a script8/18/2011
  Q: Pearson, When reading screenplays I have noticed the use of capitalized words. I know that when ...
  A: This issue is a particular "bete noire" of mine. A bit of background: There are many scripts ...
Character Description8/17/2011
  Q: Pearson, My protagonist is in disguise the first scene of my script. When writing my original ...
  A: In the initial scene, it's probably a good idea to describe the disguised person "anonymously" as ...
ScreenPlay8/12/2011
  Q: I was just wondering did you get any qualifications to do what you do or did you just start to ...
  A: You came to the right place. I'm always interested in helping young writers to get going on their ...
epilogue8/2/2011
  Q: But I want to ask, how do I write or format EPIOGUE and PROLOGUE? 1. Is it after FADE OUT will I ...
  A: Movie scripts never, ever have prologues. Or epilogues. You may have a character narrate in a ...
script7/27/2011
  Q: Barry, I appreciate the replies I get from here. I just finish my feature film script. And I don’t ...
  A: Writers all over the world are always struggling to find a way to get their scripts produced. I ...
different6/15/2011
  Q: I love to ask the questions below. Because I believe you are in position to tell me better. 1. How ...
  A: See my answers below: 1. How do I write dual dialogue, as in two characters speak at the same time? ...
Author's rights to approve movie5/31/2011
  Q: Some movie producers are interested in a manuscript that will be published as a book in December. ...
  A: First of all, congratulations on your book! If you are approached by a potential buyer, be it ...
Characters5/30/2011
  Q: Mr. Pearson, Thank you so much for taking time to answer my question! I've been working on a script ...
  A: In order to answer this question specifically, I'd have to see a treatment or some kind of outline. ...
Screenplay pitch5/21/2011
  Q: How do I get in touch with Mr. Mel Gibson or his current representatives since his agent has died ...
  A: You probably know that Mel Gibson is harder to get to than the President. But he does have reps: ...
Music copyright law5/11/2011
  Q: Pearson, I am opening a wine bar on Long Island, NY and would like to create the daily music from ...
  A: According to my in-house legal expert I'm supposed to say first that I'm simply not competent to ...
Transitions5/8/2011
  Q: I always like your replies to the post you pros are doing this fine. Please I have some questions I ...
  A: A very interesting question. As a bit of background, the modern way to write a script that is ...
Treatment Writer4/24/2011
  Q: Can you recommend a treatment writer who can help me organize, write, and package a concept ...
  A: Strictly speaking, anyone who could professionally write, or coach you on writing, a treatment such ...
Screenplay length -- what makes a story?4/24/2011
  Q: I've heard over and over again that the method of writing to determine length is 1 page = 1 min of ...
  A: I trust that your script is in standard accepted screenplay format; otherwise, your page count is ...
sci-fi4/19/2011
  Q: I am writing about aliens who encounter dozens of unique creatures from multiple dimensions. My ...
  A: A screenplay is a blueprint for a movie. If an architect left large important portions of his ...
How much should I set scene in a new world?4/17/2011
  Q: My story exists in a fantasy world similar to our own past. Most of the animals are the same as ours ...
  A: It's only acceptable if you don't mind being labeled as an amateur. If you think it's necessary to ...
writing a book based on a movie4/2/2011
  Q: I am from the U.K and I would like to write a book based on a very well known American film. I ...
  A: "What you have to do" is a question concerning copyright law. It's unlikely that it would be ...
submission of a play4/1/2011
  Q: I wrote a play approximately three years ago, and since then i've been struggling to get it off the ...
  A: There are harsh realities connected to getting creative works published or produced. The stories I ...
Using business name3/17/2011
  Q: Can a fictitious character in a screenplay be the owner of an actual business in a screenplay? I'm ...
  A: This is an interesting, but tricky, question. First of all you need to know that all movie ...
WGA Maximums?1/27/2011
  Q: I recently came across a video clip by Dov Simens, in which he asserts that the WGA imposes ceilings ...
  A: Either you mis-heard Mr Siemens, or he is mistaken. In writers' guilds around the world, there is ...
TV pitch format1/19/2011
  Q: I work professionally as a feature film writer and have a few projects in the works, but am fairly ...
  A: There are no real hard and fast guidelines about what constitutes a standard pitch. But there are ...
Photo Montage Scenes12/15/2010
  Q: I would like to do a photo montage scene in my script that shows pictures of how the character ...
  A: First, for this type of montage, I recommend that you use at least three instances. Scene slug each ...
pitch12/12/2010
  Q: I wrote a pilot script for a live action sitcom and I was wondering a few things: Should I write up ...
  A: The advice I give on this topic is too voluminous to include in this format, because what I have is ...
Screen Writing Format - slugline12/8/2010
  Q: The slug-line is meant to explain the place and time for the scene, however, the exterior view would ...
  A: Not a silly question at all. Also a chance for me to add to your understanding of screenplay ...
Very Curious11/15/2010
  Q: I am currently enrolled in a college course, trying to get my degree in film production. My ...
  A: First, you're right -- being in the film business is one of the best jobs you could have. ...
Montage scene11/3/2010
  Q: In my screenplay, I want to write a montage scene. A scene in which two men go to the same place ...
  A: The Montage is an easy format. Sometimes a montage is also a flashback. If your montage is meant ...
Sending Screeplays10/13/2010
  Q: I have written screenplays which I think are good. I live in Montreal, Canada which isn't exactly ...
  A: The short answer is, of course you can contact an agent in Los Angeles, but the results may not be ...
query9/24/2010
  Q: My question is: Which one is better software between Final Draft and Movie Magic especially for an ...
  A: In my opinion, Final Draft has pulled ahead of the pack. It's a very stable program, and has a lot ...
Adapting screen play to stage play??9/20/2010
  Q: We would like to turn a "fair usage" musical screenplay (also appeared as a film version) into a ...
  A: First of all, before I talk about the adaptation to a stage play, I must say I have some concern ...
Screenplay Coverage & Review - TV and Film9/18/2010
  Q: I'm so glad to have come across your blog and now your allexperts profile! I've been a writer since ...
  A: You have a lot going for you on this project: industry contacts and audience testing. My only ...
Les Rose8/23/2010
  Q: I was a student of Les when he taught at Seneca College in 1971. I know you worked with him. I am ...
  A: It's always nice to hear about students and their being inspired by their instructors. ...
Continuously continued?8/20/2010
  Q: I am writing a story and this person is running and says something, then I write a paragraph on ...
  A: The way you're formatting the CONT'D is correct. If you're using a formatting program like Final ...
childish fantasy or blissful reality8/8/2010
  Q: Hey Barry My name is Joshua, I'm 15 and from South Africa. See, I have a passion for writing. I ...
  A: You're not too young to decide to be a writer. I'm impressed with your language skills, and ...
Is it easier to write a screenplay for a martial arts movie?8/6/2010
  Q: It seesm to me that there is a discrimination against scripts for martial arts / kungfu movies. And ...
  A: You are right about the fact that martial arts films are not held in high regard. It's my belief ...
Miniseries Structure8/5/2010
  Q: I'm writing a script for a historical feature, and -- I'm a little chagrined to say -- I'm at 162 ...
  A: I know the structural differences specific to the 4-hour(180 minutes of script) miniseries all too ...
Withholding information from the audience8/4/2010
  Q: In reading through your archives here on allexperts I came across one issue in particular that ...
  A: Dramatic movies could be divided into two categories -- those in which the events portrayed are ...
Intercutting in a Spec Script8/4/2010
  Q: One of my writer-readers has suggested to me that material like the following is rather more like a ...
  A: In general the answer to your question, no, you're not overboard calling the shots. Your friend is ...
Sitcom Concept8/4/2010
  Q: Barry, I have been a profesional artist, gallerist, and collector for almost 40 years. I have ...
  A: First of all, collect all the written material you already have, and take some time to write down ...
question8/2/2010
  Q: Hey I'm sixteen year old writer, and I want to know if I can sell my script with the help of an ...
  A: Yes, you can sell your script, if someone is willing to buy it, with or without the assistance of an ...
parentheticals6/23/2010
  Q: To write who one is talking to in a screenplay and how... do we use parentheticals, or do we not. ...
  A: What's important is for you to make sure the reader will be able to clearly understand who is ...
Writing for TV6/2/2010
  Q: I'd like to know if there are any good short term courses for 'Writing for TV' offered up in ...
  A: I'm really sorry to report that as far as I know, there is no such course available. You might ...
Cursing in screenplays question5/17/2010
  Q: I live in Arizona and I am trying my hand at screenwriting. I've noticed that most movies have a ...
  A: Writers in general need to put their characters into situations of jeopardy and stress and emotional ...
flashback sequence.4/19/2010
  Q: I’m writing a script and am having trouble with a My script starts with my main character (who is ...
  A: You've raised an important issue not just for yourself but for other writers as well. The unusual ...
Someone to help4/16/2010
  Q: Sorry for asking you another question so soon. I have began to write my story but I have no idea if ...
  A: First of all, there's no "correct" way to write. There are accepted protocols regarding the ...
Which screenwriting books would you recommend?4/7/2010
  Q: As you know, there are many, many books on screenwriting. Obviously, an average reader cannot hope ...
  A: Syd Field was one of the first writers to analyze how screenplays were structured. Most of his ...
what genre am I?3/29/2010
  Q: Afternoon, I am a respected professional in my industry and have (out of disgust for the current ...
  A: I presume that when you say you have developed a concept for a "show," you mean a series idea. ...
Canadian writer, US market3/23/2010
  Q: As a Canadian do I need to join the American Writers guild (or another type of organization) before ...
  A: I'm also a Canadian, working out of Toronto. Strictly speaking, no, you don't have to join the WGA. ...
script/ movie writing3/13/2010
  Q: I am interested in writing about and making a movie about schizophrenia and the military/ my ...
  A: I'm really sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by '"Can you make some thing work script and ...
Flashback with VO3/13/2010
  Q: What is the correct Format when I want to have a FLASHBACK with a VO? I know that FLASHBACK is to ...
  A: Please send me an e-mail at createyourscreenplay@rogers.com, repeating your question, and I'll send ...
validity of the places used on the script3/10/2010
  Q: I never wrote a script before, im writting my first. Im used to writing novels. In a novel its wise ...
  A: You need to read a few actual produced screenplays (which you can get off the internet)to see how ...
from a novel to a screenplay3/8/2010
  Q: I never wrote a script before, only novels. I never did anything about them since I like screenplays ...
  A: Writing screenplays is a much different process than writing novels, but it's likely that the ...
Sitcom idea3/5/2010
  Q: So I've had this sitcom idea for almost 3 years already. I pretty much have it all planned out; ...
  A: As you might already know, you're not the first writer to ask this question. Please send me an ...
should I move to hollywood?2/26/2010
  Q: I'm interested in being a screenwriter and I would just like to know if I'd have to move to ...
  A: If you're seriously interested, you need to move to Hollywood,where you can attend all of the ...
publishing and selling2/22/2010
  Q: I'm keen on becoming a screenwriter, and I was wondering if you could give me some insight into ...
  A: I'm confused by your question. Screenplays are sometimes published, but only after the movie is ...
screenwriting part time2/21/2010
  Q: I'm planning to become a screenwriter, but I also have another job. What would happen if the ...
  A: Good question. Being a writer has the advantage that you *can* hold down a job at the same time. ...
Story idea appropriated2/12/2010
  Q: Here's my situation... about two years ago I had a story idea for a screenplay. I wrote up a short ...
  A: I understand your feeling of being ripped off, and also how disturbing it is. I'll try to give you ...
rights vs. "inspired by"2/9/2010
  Q: I would like to know if one can write a screenplay "inspired by" or "based on" a short story for ...
  A: Good question. There are two types of literary properties: those that are copyrighted, and those ...
An American writing in Canada2/1/2010
  Q: I'm an American and I want to write comedy for TV and from what I hear it's easier for a first time ...
  A: Coincidentally, I'm based in Toronto, so I know about the Canadian market. Funding for Canadian TV ...
Buying Scritps1/26/2010
  Q: I recently bought the screenplay for Meet the Parents offline and several friends of mine have ...
  A: I'm not an expert on U.S. jurisprudence. You'd have to ask a lawyer. I do know that the word ...
Intercut sequences that are not phone conversations1/22/2010
  Q: I understand how to format an intercut sequence for a phone conversation (mostly dialogue) but what ...
  A: E-mail me at createyourscreenplay@rogers.com, put "excerpts" in the subject line and I'll send you ...
imagination scene/flashback scene1/17/2010
  Q: 1.When an imagination scene happens in the middle of a scene, after ending the imagination scene I ...
  A: The very fact that you're asking this question means that you should be ordering my book HOLLYWOOD ...
comic books1/5/2010
  Q: as a screenwriter want a be,how can i turn a comic book into a live action tv series that Iam only a ...
  A: Like all other published works, comic books are copyrighted. As an exercise, you can write a script ...
subtitle denoting a passing of time1/1/2010
  Q: I was wondering where to write a subtitle which shows a passing of time. (example: 6 months later) ...
  A: I'm delighted to answer questions about formatting. It can be puzzling at times. But I'm concerned ...
Where to start?12/11/2009
  Q: I can't begin to tell you how great it is to have found your website. I am a fourth year film ...
  A: Unless your professors have been working writers, they wouldn't know how to start a career as a ...
Actor's direction in script10/29/2009
  Q: I have always been a bit confused about how much scene direction to put in a screen play. For ...
  A: Check out my website at www.createyourscreenplay.com and look for my book HOLLYWOOD SCREENPLAY ...
title in query letter10/13/2009
  Q: Good Day, I am using the Hollywood Creative Directory and am getting alot of contacts for ...
  A: There aren't any hard and fast, rigid rules about query letters. But you should use your common ...
How do I format video scenes in a script?10/6/2009
  Q: In one scene of my script, a detective sits in the screening room and watches homemade videos ...
  A: Interesting question. This is one of those situations in which you have options, depending on what ...
Playwriting/Screenplaywriting?10/1/2009
  Q: I'm a student who has written a couple of plays that people responded really well to and am really ...
  A: Plays for the stage are as different from screenplays as chalk from cheese. It's not a matter of ...
Re: Completed Spec Pilot9/30/2009
  Q: I have read a few of your previous answers (negative in general but realistic) in regard to ...
  A: I've done such a trick only once, myself, and ultimately, it did not get sold. The project was a ...
presenting a sitcom9/15/2009
  Q: Christopher is a graduate of a college film program and has written and filmed a 1/2 hour sitcom. He ...
  A: Chris is a lucky guy to have such a supportive parent as yourself. He'll need every edge he can get ...
Market place9/14/2009
  Q: Good day, I am ready to send out my query letters to potential buyers of my screenplay but fin ...
  A: Sorry, but there's nothing equivalent to the HCD. They have the corner on this market. Bite the ...
MONTAGE9/14/2009
  Q: Post the description under MONTAGE or after MUSIC OVER SCENE. NO DIALOGUE do you just leave white ...
  A: Never leave extra white space on a page. It's just assumed in the industry that standard formatting ...
Silent Hill Script9/12/2009
  Q: I've spent days combing the web looking for a finalized version of the script to Silent Hill, as ...
  A: If the movie script isn't coming up in your string searches, it's probably because the authors don't ...
Dramatized Storytelling8/21/2009
  Q: I'm writing a script that includes at least a few instances of dramatized storytelling. Some of ...
  A: In order for me to answer this question fully and specifically, you'll have to describe the actual ...
Movies8/18/2009
  Q: What is the choir that provides dramatic movie backgrounds? The songs without words, just dramatic ...
  A: Any musical elements in a movie are created or acquired by the composer, under the supervision of ...
Subtitles8/3/2009
  Q: I am working with a partner on a screenplay which has several sequential scenes set between 2 and 6 ...
  A: It turns out that common sense is not all that common.{:>) You win. This is the format: EXT. THE ...
understanding "tags"7/26/2009
  Q: Would you please provide information concerning plot and theme "tags"? I understand that they are to ...
  A: Don. Oh, I get it. It's not really jargon at all. "Tags" are references to topics dealt with in ...
followup to chad high school film7/1/2009
  Q: i too am a high school drama teacher. instead of the usual play production, i would like to involve ...
  A: I think it's a good idea to involve your students in live theater or film production. The secret of ...
Blog to TV idea6/24/2009
  Q: I have been blogging for three years now. I have a large audience and many of them often say they ...
  A: On the internet, there is a site called Movie Pitch: http://www.moviepitch.com/. It contains a ...
Graduate School - Screenwriting6/22/2009
  Q: Hey Barry (I hope this is going to Barry!) I read one of your answers to someone considering ...
  A: I understand that you are proceeding with caution. Post-graduate options are serious decisions. ...
Copyrights and Spoofs6/22/2009
  Q: What steps do I need to take when writing a movie spoof to avoid copyright problems? I will be ...
  A: Here are two q&a's from my archives that address this problem. I'm not a lawyer and I am not ...
Those enormous Hollywood hurdles6/18/2009
  Q: Barry Auuuggghhh! Can you explain this bazaar enigma that is Hollywood to a new screenwriter such ...
  A: I'm sympathetic to your feelings about the difficulty of getting a screenplay *read* let alone get ...
Am I really any good?6/16/2009
  Q: Is there some way you could review my idea? I've just completed my 3rd act, it's my first draft. ...
  A: I really regret being the bearer of bad tidings, but the odds of a first draft screenplay getting ...
Sub plots6/15/2009
  Q: Are there any rules our guidelines for sub plots? Is there a difference between a sub plot that is ...
  A: Yes there are structural patterns that could be called "rules," But which are too detailed and ...
copyrighting and publishing a musical6/15/2009
  Q: I have written a complete musical based on the book Pilgrim's Progress. It has been performed by a ...
  A: First, the disclaimer -- I'm not an expert in publishing matters, although I've been published a few ...
Gross V Net5/14/2009
  Q: I am just entering into the industry and I am currently in the preliminaries of building my team: ...
  A: I can't really give you cogent advice until I know a lot about how and with what you plan to "enter ...
Montage Sequence5/9/2009
  Q: Could you please tell me how to format a montage sequence with a longer voiceover - my concern is if ...
  A: Nice to hear from Australia. Put the montage first so the reader can picture the visuals, then put ...
structure of typewriting scene5/6/2009
  Q: What is the standard form in a screenplay for showing what a character is either typing on a ...
  A: Barry types a note to a writer. INSERT: PAPER IN TYPEWRITER Letters click across the page, "Use an ...
Getting produced4/28/2009
  Q: Mr. Pearson - Thanks for volunteering on this website - I appreciate it. My question is short. ...
  A: I don't really pretend to be an expert on documentaries. It's a whole different world than ...
Question on montages and how to handle a specfic scene.4/14/2009
  Q: I do not quite understand what a "montage" is and have had difficulty finding a good definition and ...
  A: The general principle of formatting in today's world is to keep it clean and simple. For your ...
looking for TV writing work in Canada as a US citizen4/10/2009
  Q: I'm a writer for an animated show in the US (a show that recently changed over from a Canadian ...
  A: I am based in Canada, so I know the territory, but I'm not in animation, I'm in features and ...
Taking the next step4/10/2009
  Q: Have finished a draft of a period screenplay and am wondering what to do next. The info I've noted ...
  A: You're not alone in wondering what to do next. I'm thinking of writing a book entitled, "First, ...
Television Production Bible3/22/2009
  Q: I am a film student currently studying in Toronto. I am working on a Television pilot in my spare ...
  A: Send me your question to barrypearson@rogers.com and I'll e-mail you all the information you need by ...
LA/Directing, Writing and Agents.3/9/2009
  Q: Hopefully this isn't too strange a question. I'm a 24 year old filmmaker, just finishing up on ...
  A: You're absolutely making the right move by relocating to Hollywood. If your feature has distribution ...
Treatments3/4/2009
  Q: How do you write a treatment for a reality show? I was told it should only be a 1 page is that ...
  A: Reality shows are a free-for-all, meaning not many "rules." So you'll need to learn from your ...
query letter for a possible movie3/4/2009
  Q: At this time (since the release of He's Just Not That Into You) I want to see if someone is ...
  A: I have some archival material with examples that could be relevant to your situation. E-mail me, ...
Adaptations2/27/2009
  Q: If I were interested writing an adapted screenplay based on a Japanese film released more than a ...
  A: It would be useful for you to e-mail me at createyourscreenplay@rogers.com repeating your question, ...
Screenplay for High School Film Production2/21/2009
  Q: Barry, I am a high school drama teacher in Tennessee. I have written a screenplay that I am ...
  A: A fascinating question. As an aside, I should mention that I too was a high school teacher for ...
Best Screenplay Coverage?2/16/2009
  Q: What is (in your opinion) the best and most affordable screenplay coverage service available? I am ...
  A: This is a refreshingly direct and interesting question. Personally, I do not offer "coverage," ...
Registering a script2/16/2009
  Q: Pearson I have a couple of questions. The first is when penning a logline and synopsis for entry in ...
  A: See my answers below: Q: When penning a logline and synopsis for entry in a contest would they be ...
Follow up question.2/7/2009
  Q: Pearson I was delighted to see my name and an excerpt form my response thanking you for your help ...
  A: YOUR QUESTIONS, AND MY ANSWERS IN BOLD. In my attempt to find and narrow down what I thought would ...
Question about Profession2/1/2009
  Q: my name is Megan and I'm doing a school assignment where I must interview someone in the profession ...
  A: We're not really supposed to do "homework" answers, but since writing a career path for you, I'll ...
story rights - screenplay1/23/2009
  Q: I have written a story with an acquaintance from which I have written a screenplay; he says he will ...
  A: YOU DON'T EVER WANT TO GO TO LITIGATION OF ANY KIND, EXCEPT IN DIRE CIRCUMSTANCES. PLEASE, DON'T! ...
superimpose1/19/2009
  Q: Pearson I have 3 quick questions. 1) When using the special effect of superimposing how do I write ...
  A: To superimpose something is to place it on top of an image onscreen. The correct script term is ...
show bible and pilot1/16/2009
  Q: I'm tasked to write a show bible and pilot for a one hour drama and would like some examples or ...
  A: Yes I can help you since I've just been through the same task on a project of mine with a large ...
accentuating1/12/2009
  Q: Pearson just a quick question. In a screenplay how do I accentuate a word in a speech? Capital ...
  A: Nice to hear from you. In my own work, I prefer italics. Capital letters should be reserved to ...
Network with filmmakers/writers/actors1/10/2009
  Q: I have a website that I would like to promote and I believe a great way to establish our image is by ...
  A: I should tell you that this topic is not my core expertise, but I agree with you that this is a good ...
CHAPTER HEADINGS12/29/2008
  Q: Can you include chapter headings in with scene headings? Or, are chapter headings are omitted from ...
  A: The short answer is yes, there is no such thing as chapter headings in screenplay format. You can ...
A pair of opposites, but no conflict.12/26/2008
  Q: Spilman I am writing a short film in hopes of producing and shopping to festivals. I came up with ...
  A: You've obviously done a lot of thinking about this concept. Avenues or exercises: *Play the "what ...
rare scripts12/25/2008
  Q: there is some screenplays scripts I tried to found but in vain I had checked ; ...
  A: You can find a transcript of Home Alone 2 at ...
Writing a TV pitch and getting an agent12/21/2008
  Q: I am writing a TV drama-comedy series. I hear that the best way to sell it (I want to sell it in the ...
  A: This is a question that has been asked before, so I'm sending you a copy of my answer to the ...
copyrighting12/20/2008
  Q: How do you go about copyrighting your written work? Is there a specific site for Canadian writers? ...
  A: Send me an e-mail at createyourscreenply@rogers.com, repeating your question, and I'll send you a ...
heading question12/18/2008
  Q: InT. Storm drain---right heading. Two different scene with two separate characters, the scense go ...
  A: I'm not sure what program you're using to format your screenplay, but you have a problem just with ...
clear the "mud" out of the first draft12/18/2008
  Q: I'm writing a period screenplay which, now that I'm on page sixty or so, seems to always be going to ...
  A: It's difficult to diagnose a malady without seeing the patient, but I doubt that your screenplay ...
Im trying to write my own monologue12/15/2008
  Q: Im not sure if your the best person to ask this but I figured it was worth a try. My names Taylor ...
  A: I like your choice of subject. I can see comic possibilities in it. The way to get the writing ...
Screenwriting/director12/12/2008
  Q: my passion is screenwriting for film, Im 19 and I would like to know where to start. As i said my ...
  A: I have a lot of material in my archives that's relevant to starting out in the business. Please ...
phenomena12/11/2008
  Q: there is some phenomena I practice want to take your opinion on ? when I m writing a scene or ...
  A: First question-- The type of behavior you're describing (acting out the scene)is not usual, in my ...
I wanna write a screenplay12/8/2008
  Q: I'm Waqar Ali from Pakistan. I'm 21 years old. I want to be a screenwriter. I have some stories ...
  A: Stories, and screenplays, are not easy to sell anywhere in the world. My advice is to try hard to ...
question !12/4/2008
  Q: OK sir so what about screen division for 2 part or 3 part for instance phone call between two ...
  A: For phone call format, you either write SPLIT SCREEN OR INTERCUT PHONE CALL For two incidents ...
question !12/1/2008
  Q: I asked you before about recommending musical notes or entrance in my script , you told me that ...
  A: It's perfectly acceptable in screenplays to suggest the type of music that might be used in specific ...
How to write better screenplay dialogue11/30/2008
  Q: I'm looking for gift ideas for my husband, who is interested in writing TV Comedy in Canada. Can ...
  A: There are no books that I'm aware of on TV Comedy Writing specifically geared to Canada. I think ...
Drama Genre11/26/2008
  Q: As a screenplay writer I hope you could give me some insight into the Drama genre. While watching ...
  A: What your friend has espoused as his definition of "drama" is really a definition of a subspecies of ...
movie script straight to dvd11/9/2008
  Q: Barry, My partner and I are writing a Horror script and we just have one question that seems know ...
  A: The reason that your question is not getting straight answers is that it has many and varied ...
Book to Film.11/2/2008
  Q: (Dear Barry)\(Others will to help), My name is Spencer David and I am a screenwriter. I am a avid ...
  A: This question raises many issues that you should take into consideration. First there's the ...
how to introduce my screenplays10/28/2008
  Q: I have just written my first screenplays for short-films. I would like to put them in the right ...
  A: Send me an e-mail at barrypearson@rogers.com, repeating your question, and I'll send you some more ...
How important is it to exclude the passive voice in10/22/2008
  Q: My most recent screenwriting teacher told me, to avoid a static character, that I should exclude ...
  A: Yes, writing in the active voice improves your narrative description. I occasionally get questions ...
High School Senior Project Mentorship10/8/2008
  Q: I was wondering if you would be willing to be my mentor for my senior project, which I've decided ...
  A: I can mentor you, but in my own way. Ask your teacher if e-mail attachment of signed document would ...
Advice and Help10/5/2008
  Q: I am 15, and only in year 10, yet I feel that I've made my mind up that writing, screenwiritng in ...
  A: I commend you for giving serious thought to your career at this stage in your life. I was about ...
Copywright Protection9/29/2008
  Q: Can you briefly explain the specific copyrights of Screenwriters, Directors, and Producers? Also, ...
  A: I'm not a lawyer, and I do not give legal advice. Here is what I understand about your question. ...
Im starting script writing.9/26/2008
  Q: Well looking at your about me paragraphs you seem very busy so I'll make this short. I'm making my ...
  A: Please send me an e-mail, repeating your question in the body of the e-mail, and I'll send to you, ...
TV Scripts9/19/2008
  Q: Pearson. I am trying to put together a Pitch Book for a TV Series I wrote but I am having trouble ...
  A: The premise of a series is a description of the underlying idea. It's akin to the loglines you see ...
resumee/portfolio?9/14/2008
  Q: I am a freshman in high school and am interested in screenwriting and storyboard writing. I was just ...
  A: My portfolio was limited to High School drama, and a scholarship summer at the Banff School of Fine ...
treatment for dramtic tv series9/9/2008
  Q: I'm trying to find a sample of a treatment written specifically for a dramatic television SERIES. I ...
  A: Unfortunately, there is no universally accepted format for series presentations, as there is for ...
Agents-query letters8/31/2008
  Q: My writing partner and I just had our fourth script go through copywright and now we need to find an ...
  A: It's appropriate to query your best script, then mention that you have three other screenplays and ...
documentary script8/27/2008
  Q: We are sorry, but José Luis Vázquez Coriano wasn't able to answer yourHello, I would like to know if ...
  A: Yes, it is correct. There are many formats that exist in the documentary world, but the ones that I ...
Convenient all in one "Canadian" scriptwriting guide8/19/2008
  Q: I am looking for a Canadian equivalent to J. Michael Straczynski "The Complete Book of ...
  A: WE DO HAVE SOME RESOURCES IN CANADA. NOT LIKE THE BOOK YOU'RE REFERRING TO BUT THERE ARE A NUMBER ...
Formatting Song Lyrics8/19/2008
  Q: I have the need to list song lyrics as they are being played on a stereo in a scene and the action ...
  A: This depends on what program you're using. If you're in Final Draft, select "Character" element. ...
Payback in the Congo8/18/2008
  Q: 60 Minutes had a segment on the Republic of the Congo and its genocide of 5 million people and ...
  A: It's a shame you're not a writer -- you're the guy with the personal experience. There are so many ...
Starting Treatment Biz7/24/2008
  Q: Pearson. I have over a dozen years of experience working as a writer/producer in non-fiction ...
  A: I'm really sorry to report to you that I don't see this as a viable business, certainly not on the ...
T.V. Show treatments7/15/2008
  Q: I've just recently learned about treatments for t.v. shows and movie scripts and am currently ...
  A: This is a good question, since there are really no guidelines agreed upon by networks or producers. ...
legalities in screenplays7/11/2008
  Q: I have written a screenplay about a girl whom I was previously involved with but she had committed ...
  A: I'm not a lawyer, nor do I ever give legal advice. However, depending on what jurisdiction you live ...
Making a bible for my own daytime drama7/10/2008
  Q: I want to create my own soap opera (a steamy, over-the-top gay drama, set here in my hometown) and I ...
  A: I admire your ambition in wanting to create a soap-opera, especially one that's a departure from the ...
Submitting an idea7/8/2008
  Q: but never acted on it because I had no clue how to get my idea to the right people without worrying ...
  A: It's always hard for me to answer questions like yours, because I hate delivering "bad news." ...
My Script7/1/2008
  Q: Barry- We have written a script, action with a love story in the end, and are now in the process of ...
  A: The best place to pitch is in Hollywood. That costs money unless you live there, so you'll need a ...
can screenwriting be a full time career6/7/2008
  Q: can screenwriting be a full time career? and also i have a 50 page screen play. could that be turned ...
  A: It's refreshing to get questions like yours, direct and to the point. Can screenwriting be a ...
Where do I start?6/4/2008
  Q: I have no experience in screenwriting whatsoever, and do not consider myself a writer at all, but ...
  A: when you say you do not consider yourself a writer at all. That enables me to give a clear answer ...
tv series question4/15/2008
  Q: I'd like to know what the proper format is for a dramatic television series proposal: font, spacing, ...
  A: You're obviously a serious, diligent developing writer, but you've chosen the most difficult genre ...
I wrote a Movie Script.4/9/2008
  Q: thanks
  A: It depends upon what advice you want. Some advice is free, some you need to pay for. Look for ...
Payment3/27/2008
  Q: I have written a script for a 1 hour comedy/drama pilot, with scripts available for 6 30 minute ...
  A: THIS IS A SITUATION THAT IS DEPENDENT UPON A NUMBER OF FACTORS NOT INCLUDED IN YOUR QUESTION. --IS ...
question !3/27/2008
  Q: Right I m create a scenes recorded by me then put the suitable musical background not any music but ...
  A: March 31, 08 HI AJ. PLEASE RESEND YOUR EMAIL TO ME. IT GOT ACCIDENTALLY ERASED. MY EMAIL ADDRESS ...
i have this great idea for a movie3/22/2008
  Q: i've red this fantastic book and, ever since i'm obsessed of making it into a movie.do you think ...
  A: While I do get involved in film projects, I'm booked up now till 2011. Sorry. If you want some ...
question please3/18/2008
  Q: I m writing short & long stories , I ll take some workshop to learn screen writing , but I have an ...
  A: Sure you can take workshops to learn screenwriting -- good idea. And you could also do yourself a ...
When to use ... or -3/15/2008
  Q: I'm co-authoring a script. In the dialogue if my character was interrupted, his train of thought ...
  A: Your partner is partly right, and you are partly right, but neither of you is employing the most ...
Writing Monologue2/15/2008
  Q: I have a question for you, i am currently taking an acting class at a southern california college ...
  A: It won't surprise you to learn that you're not the first person to confront this challenge. Here ...
Canada2/12/2008
  Q: I've just finished working on my second screenplay, and I'm wondering what to do with it. I've gone ...
  A: Marketing a screenplay is a demanding and difficult process, and does not depend solely on the ...
Movie title within the script.1/27/2008
  Q: I wasn't too sure where to post this question! Unfortunately I picked you, hopefully you can help. ...
  A: I'm your guy. I love puzzles. I'll take a shot at this one, even though I'm not entirely clear ...
pitch comp1/22/2008
  Q: I'm entering a pitch competition and it is asking for (in order to win the chance to pitch your ...
  A: I recommend you use all of the 150 words, and definitely include your end-twist. This is not an ...
Real names of fake?12/19/2007
  Q: If I wrote a screenplay about a convicted felon, do I need his permission, if he has been convicted ...
  A: You would need to consult a lawyer about the issue of permission. I wrote a book about a bank ...
Looking for stars12/19/2007
  Q: I have written a screenplay that is currently under consideration at Warner Brothers. I have been ...
  A: If you buy a subscription to the professional version of IMDB, you will get access to their databank ...
inspired by true events12/6/2007
  Q: I am interested in writing a script based on a true crime story, using many articles and a ...
  A: I have a great deal of material in my archives in the general area you are speaking of. I myself ...
Seeking compelling character-centered feature scripts12/5/2007
  Q: I'm an award-winning editor and aspiring director who's looking for a compelling, character-centered ...
  A: I'm impressed with your approach to developing your career. You have already embraced a number of ...
Writing a monologue11/25/2007
  Q: Pearson, I'm not quite sure if you are the best person to ask of this question but I will try ...
  A: Yes, I'm the best person {:>) I'm very impressed with your ability to write and express yourself. ...
Agent or attorney?10/24/2007
  Q: I made an important contact, a VP of development with a major studio. She said to send her a script ...
  A: Glad to hear you made a good contact. The time to look for an agent is when you have interest in ...
Screenwriting in Europe10/24/2007
  Q: I'm an old writer new to LA, had a successful first job but now the strike and no work. How do you ...
  A: I really wish I were knowledgeable enough in this area to give you a helpful answer. I know that ...
"How to write better screenplay dialogue"10/22/2007
  Q: This actually isn't a dialogue question -- it relates to the looming writer's strike which I am ...
  A: Presuming you are the sole writer on this picture, my opinion is that you are not bound by a union ...
Timely Dramedy Idea Question10/3/2007
  Q: Mr. Pearson. . .I have what I believe is an exceptional and timely idea for a drama plus comedy in ...
  A: I have loads of information in my archives on and about this topic. Please e-mail me, repeat your ...
Format9/20/2007
  Q: I am currently writing a psychological thriller in which 70% of the action takes place inside a ...
  A: The formatting is not a problem. But I feel bound by my duty as a screenwriting coach to tell you ...
How much to charge?8/25/2007
  Q: I was wondering if you could help me understand or point to me a place where I could get a fee ...
  A: The WGA (Writers Guild of America) has a minimum basic agreement with producers that sets out what ...
Movie Rights and "Based On" status7/20/2007
  Q: I've been working with an idea for a loosely based on a classic novel and am wondering about the ...
  A: "Classic" can mean many things. If this is a novel published before 1932 it is almost certainly in ...
submitting6/24/2007
  Q: Ever since i was very young i've been obsessed with writing down in vivid detail the pictures of ...
  A: You likely wouldn't be contacting me if you weren't meant to be a writer. The first thing to do is ...
screenplay advice6/10/2007
  Q: Pearson, I have written to you in the past re: screenplay advice that I was working on at the ...
  A: Ms. Richardson, Nobody can definitively tell if a project is sellable. The odds against a project ...
Quick formatting question3/24/2007
  Q: I would like to begin my script with the reader feeling that an old fashioned industrial film is ...
  A: SEE MY ANSWERS IN CAPS BELOW: I would like to begin my script with the reader feeling that an old ...
screenplay3/16/2007
  Q: I have several screenplays I would like to market. I am getting some hits on Inktip but nothing ...
  A: Some people say that a developing screenwriter has to write ten screenplays before he or she can ...
Screenwriting3/14/2007
  Q: ! thank god for people like you... I am sooo lost maybe your experience can help me. I have a new ...
  A: This is an extremely important question, and I can only help you efficiently by direct e-mail, so I ...
CHARACTER NAMES2/18/2007
  Q: I'm currently writing a fictional biography feature where the lead character is in the music ...
  A: I'm not clear what it is that you're concerned about. Are you concerned that some performer will ...
Civil War letters2/8/2007
  Q: I have a large selection of letters written by my Great Grandfather from pre, during, and post Civil ...
  A: Sorry for the delay, I'm producing an epic miniseries that I wrote, which involves a co-production ...
Writing for TV2/7/2007
  Q: Does the one minute per page rule apply to sitcom writing or just films? I read in a screenwriting ...
  A: The one minute per page rule of thumb depends upon following a certain prescribed format of margins ...
Screenplay Need Financing2/7/2007
  Q: I have written several screenplays and am ready to get investors for the production of my ...
  A: Getting financing to produce a feature film is a complicated process. There are hundreds, perhaps ...
tv production1/17/2007
  Q: I have a couple of questions about tv production. First, does it cost more to produce a show in Los ...
  A: Most of your questions are outside my area of expertise, because I don't work in the sitcom world, ...
Music and copyrights1/9/2007
  Q: I'm currently writing a play for my high school, and I have a few questions. In parts of the play, ...
  A: I am a great respecter of copyright and therefore would never advise anyone to infringe a copyright. ...
Questions Regarding Format1/3/2007
  Q: I have a few questions regarding script format. In my script there are 3 or 4 consecutive scenes ...
  A: See my answers in caps below. I have a few questions regarding script format. In my script ...
question about writing a movie script and selling it12/21/2006
  Q: I randomly was on this website and saw that I could email someone who has some expertise in the ...
  A: My answers below First off, once I write this script where can I go to sell it? Answer: Until you ...
cant get it on paper12/16/2006
  Q: ive been trying to write a screenplay for years, and all i have so far is a couple of notebooks full ...
  A: Notebooks are not bad, they're a good way to start, but it sounds like you're ready to move to the ...
television writing12/14/2006
  Q: I have some questions about how things work in television. Is it possible for someone who has no ...
  A: To give you the best answer, I need you to e-mail me and repeat your questions. My e-mail address ...
Blacklisting12/12/2006
  Q: My daughter is a senior in high school at Interlochen Arts Academy with a major in Motion Picture ...
  A: I am shocked and appalled that the institutions you refer to would persecute the victim. You don't ...
science fiction for teens12/10/2006
  Q: I have an idea for a science fiction show, that's along the lines of Guinevere Jones and Dark ...
  A: You've hit upon a complicated and multilayered topic. I have archival material that is more ...
screenwriting11/30/2006
  Q: I still don't get the difference between synopsis and logline. Please, explain it to me.
  A: A logline is just that -- a "line" -- or maybe two. A logline is designed to indicate the topic of ...
Novel Adaptation11/22/2006
  Q: I'm a first-time screenwriter and i'm interested in adapting a novel. I'd like to know two things:\ ...
  A: You're not in China by any means are you? I'm currently doing a co-production with Chinese partners ...
various10/30/2006
  Q: I am a 26 year old screenwriter from England who is struggling to break into the industry. As i'm ...
  A: I'm very sympathetic to your struggles to get started. I've been there and it's a challenge. ...
Format and Outlook10/26/2006
  Q: I have recently become interested in screenwriting. I was wondering if you know any websire os ...
  A: I have a lot of material in my archives that would give you detail concerning the questions you're ...
One act play10/26/2006
  Q: The Spokane Civic Theatre is having a contest to write the best one act play. I've never done this, ...
  A: You need a templater to write a play in the "proper form." I market a program called CYS Templater ...
Pen names10/3/2006
  Q: I wanted to use a pen name and wanted to know what I must do to establish that this synonym is in ...
  A: Before I answer the question, let me ask you aWhy would you want to use a pen name? Are you in ...
movie script.9/21/2006
  Q: I'm 21 years old, I live in Los Angeles.I have a movie going thru my mind that would be a good hit ...
  A: Nice to hear from L.A. My suggestion is that you take "baby steps." Set aside three hours a day, ...
Contacting a Director9/20/2006
  Q: Mr. Pearson, I regularly work as a mechanic but recently decided to start working as a ...
  A: In my archive collection, I have thoroughly detailed answers to all the questions you ask, but it's ...
Script Format9/10/2006
  Q: I am a university student current faced with the task of writing a 12 page script. My question is ...
  A: Flashbacks are commonly used in films, so they're always appropriate as long as the audience doesn't ...
Character and Storyline Proposal8/30/2006
  Q: I'm an actor living in Toronto and I have created a character and storyline I would like to have ...
  A: R. Every so often I get a question like yours about writing for soap operas or submitting soap ...
using quotes in dialogue8/25/2006
  Q: I want a characer in my script to quote an essay written by artist Jenny Holzer,verbatim. If I do ...
  A: You don't have to get permission to write it into your script. But it's a good idea for the ...
writing my own play..8/24/2006
  Q: I have a couple questions about writing your own play... like how many characters should you have? ...
  A: At your age, keep the story simple -- 15 pages is probably enough for you to handle. Two characters ...
Creating a Series8/12/2006
  Q: Mr. Pearson, I previously asked the question regarding the copyrights to a series. In your answer ...
  A: You're right, I doubt that other beginning writers have such an ambitious plan. I think it's a very ...
Describing a characters psychological state?8/11/2006
  Q: I have requested the mini book you recommended. I have a question about a characters state of mind ...
  A: I'll repeat what I always tell writers who have such questions: When you write a movie, it's a good ...
Writers Guild and International Copyright8/10/2006
  Q: A friend of mine and I are creating a Television series and were wondering what the process for ...
  A: First of all I should repeat my advice to the previous correspondent, who intended to develop a ...
Series Arc8/10/2006
  Q: We are developing a Sitcom and we do not know what the format should be for writing the series arc. ...
  A: You need to give me more information please, before I can answer your question. Are you developing ...
selling an idea8/9/2006
  Q: can you sell storylines to television companies based on an idea in your head...
  A: The answer is yes and no. Yes, if you're an established professional TV writer, with a long list of ...
?College?8/9/2006
  Q: I've written to you before asking for advice concerning how what direction I should take as far as ...
  A: Scrub Chicago. Great University, but too GU (Geographically Undesirable), not cheap to live in, and ...
Realistic dialogue.8/6/2006
  Q: Pearson, I'am currently attempting to write a short screenplay. The idea has been circulating in my ...
  A: I'm extremely sympathetic to this problem -- so much so that I'm in the course of writing a ...
Imagining is the key to screenwriting.8/1/2006
  Q: I am writing a reading script and I am confused as to how to write a certain situation. Let's say ...
  A: I like the way you've posed this question. It's an issue that many developing writers struggle ...
Should I take screenwriting class7/25/2006
  Q: I'm a beginning screenwriter, and I'm wondering should I take screenwriting class from a local ...
  A: The most important thing you can do is to write. Do not take a screenwriting class from anybody who ...
Writing a screenplay7/24/2006
  Q: How do you write a screenplay? Does it have a special structure? And do you know where can I learn ...
  A: A screenplay is a blueprint for making a movie, and, yes, it does have its own special structure. ...
Submitting To The UK7/18/2006
  Q: etc. Of course I register my scripts with the WGA, but I'm wondering if I need to take any ...
  A: Registering a script with the WGA does not, in itself, give you copyright protection. It ...
musical7/18/2006
  Q: ok, i am only 16, but i am attempting to right a play/ musical. and this is sort of strange for me ...
  A: I'm really sorry, but I have to charge for my services, since this is part of the way I earn a ...
Screenwriting Books7/14/2006
  Q: Hey Barry, I was wondering whether there were any screenwriting books that helped you in any way. ...
  A: First of all, if you don't already have it you need to get my e-book IT'S ALL ABOUT THE STORY. You ...
Screenplay Submission7/13/2006
  Q: My name is Cade Wilde and I live in Australia. I have recently written a screenplay and was ...
  A: By coincidence, I am currently coaching an Australian Writer working on a wonderful thriller, which ...
Question from an aspiring writer7/11/2006
  Q: My name is Steve, and I’m a 22-year old film-scoring student at the Berklee College of Music in ...
  A: This is a tricky one, and I believe your liability, if any, may lie in the nature of the ...
Screenwriting - Scenes in7/10/2006
  Q: Pearson, I am writing a film script that includes a chase and capture scene that takes place in the ...
  A: Anne, Interesting question. My preference would be to create some geography for each of the three ...
Script writing.7/10/2006
  Q: Good day. My question is simple and fast... How much do script writers get paid? And is it ...
  A: My answer is also fast and simple: Go to http://www.wga.org/subpage_writersresources.aspx?id=1610 ...
Predictable?6/27/2006
  Q: I would appreciate your expert advice in solving an argument; I had to write a four page treatment ...
  A: The "twist" is not immediately predictable as in some stories, but as soon as the reader has the ...
writing a script6/22/2006
  Q: Our group has come to the stage in A level theatre studies where we have to write our own play. Our ...
  A: I presume you're doing one-act plays. Therefore, you start where many great dramatists started -- ...
Treatment Structure6/11/2006
  Q: I am preparing a treatment for a motion picture. I wanted to know how the structure of the treatment ...
  A: I have a lot of archival information about the treatment that I can send you by e-mail attachment. ...
how to get started5/26/2006
  Q: hmm...i just wanted to ask how to get started i mean if you already have a story, plot ect. in your ...
  A: GET STARTED ON YOUR SCREENPLAY NOW! List Price $8.95 US Introductory price $5.95 If you're at the ...
Realistic dialogue5/17/2006
  Q: I recently completed a screenplay, but I have a problem. It is a great concept and it has some good ...
  A: Send me an e-mail to createyourscreenplay@rogers.com. Ask your question again, and if you wish ...
obtaining rights to adapt a play into a screenplay5/15/2006
  Q: where do i begin if i want to adapt a Tony nominated Bway play into a screenplay. who do i contact ...
  A: I really hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but unless you have a truckload of money, you don't ...
credit for writing5/5/2006
  Q: I've just recently finished writing my first screenplay. I first came up with the idea and then ...
  A: I really wish you had asked me this question before starting to involve your friend. It's always ...
Screenplay writing versus novel4/26/2006
  Q: Mr. Pearson, Ever since I was a little kid, there has been something deep down inside of me that ...
  A: I think with your desire and motivation, you could really succeed. You should write the novel ...
Prodcos4/22/2006
  Q: Barry, I have completed a screenplay that is an adaptation from an English novel and develops ...
  A: Go to IMDB.com and register for the demo version of their website -- the Imdb Pro, then you can look ...
Premise4/12/2006
  Q: First off I would like to thank you for volunteering your time and your knowledge. It is very ...
  A: Have you written the whole screenply yet? Often themes (you're using the word "premise" which is ...
How to submit a sitcom story idea4/4/2006
  Q: I'm sure you get this question all the time. I want to submit a story idea to the writers and ...
  A: Actually I don't get this particular type of question "all the time." Yours is a unique situation, ...
obsession3/8/2006
  Q: Pearson, Thank you for your time... I've been obsessed lately with writing a screenplay (or two). ...
  A: See my answers in caps below. Dear Mr. Pearson, Thank you for your time... I've been obsessed ...
romantic drama: end on act 23/6/2006
  Q: In a Romantic Drama, I know that the end of Act 2 is them splitting up. Are there any other ...
  A: I hardly know where to start with your questions -- all of which are important. First of all, ...
screen writting2/7/2006
  Q: Im in high school and i am very interested in film and movies. I've been trying to write a ...
  A: It's normal to experience those types of obstacles when attempting to write your first screenplay. ...
Help with...2/7/2006
  Q: I'm a high school student at Valencia HS. I'm currently taking a class called Career Search, it's ...
  A: You're right that I can't mentor you; however, if you e-mail me a one or two page, very detailed, ...
Software program for creating outlines1/31/2006
  Q: I'm an aspiring screenwriter, I have intentions on writing short stories, novels, and screenplays. A ...
  A: Dramatica Pro may work for some people, but the reports I get from users are that it can seem a ...
Screen writer needed1/26/2006
  Q: I have a powerful true heroic and historical story that I would like to transform into an award ...
  A: What you're proposing to do requires some careful research and thought. Please send me an e-mail at ...
Selling a script1/26/2006
  Q: I am a freelance writer currently working on a script for a television show. I am almost finished ...
  A: There are some realities to the business of marketing a script that you may be unaware of. Please ...
Outline Format1/19/2006
  Q: I am currently in the process of writing my first script. I am writing a script for a famous TV show ...
  A: It's not a big deal. Write your outline in the same format you'd write the body of a letter; that ...
Fomating Issue1/16/2006
  Q: I am working on a documentary on the history of photography that has gotten much bigger than ...
  A: For some reason, I didn't get your e-mail, sorry for the delay. This shouldn't be as difficult as ...
Marketing1/13/2006
  Q: How would I sell an idea for a screen play once I have it in the outline format? Thank You.
  A: I regret to report to you that there is no market for screenplay outlines, unless you happen to be ...
Ok. I need to write a short...12/22/2005
  Q: Ok. I need to write a short film that is related to africa. I want to write a slightly comedic ...
  A: First I have to tell you that I'm not really an expert on the *short* film. But comedic short films ...
Screenplay format re UK and Europe12/7/2005
  Q: I am about to re-format my screenplay according to the "accepted" industry requirements. I have ...
  A: I can't stress enough that you should not trust formatting displayed on a website. Browsers do not ...
Idea for a screenplay, but no inclination to write12/2/2005
  Q: I think I have a good, original idea for a political screenplay, but no ambition to write. Is there ...
  A: I regret to report to you that there is no such forum. Ideas in themselves are thought to be a dime ...
animated story11/27/2005
  Q: I have writen a story for an animated movie or a TV series. who can I mail it to?
  A: It's futile to send a story idea for an animated movie or a TV series to anyone. You'll be totally ...
Writing a screenplay11/23/2005
  Q: I have been writing my entire life, really just for my own enjoyment. In college my prof. urged me ...
  A: So, if I give you my best advice, will you take it?{:>) You might be a writer -- as evidenced by ...
Pitch on Paper11/17/2005
  Q: I am an award-winning screenwriter of a short animated film which won the Cine Golden Eagle, ...
  A: Congratulations on your award, it will look good on your resume. I would advise you not to be too ...
Characters With Multiple Names10/13/2005
  Q: Barry. I was hoping you could help me with just one little formatting question. I've learned ...
  A: You almost came to the right answer by yourself. Of course a "reading" script serves a different ...
Writing a screenplay10/12/2005
  Q: I just wrote a synopsis for a screenplay idea that I have. I really don't want to waste my time ...
  A: I can understand your thinking about not wanting to spend months writing a screenplay on a topic or ...
how to become a screenwriter9/29/2005
  Q: i have always been very interested in films, especially hollywood ones. i was wondering if you had ...
  A: The simple answer to your question is: you write a whole bunch of screenplays. Many successful ...
Is my location a problem or is it my talent?9/23/2005
  Q: Is it possible for an outsider to break into screenwriting in the US or is my location off-putting. ...
  A: I can give you a more thorough answer to your questions if you e-mail me at ...
How to get read...or the search for the holy grail9/22/2005
  Q: I'm a german screenwriter, published author and reader just writing my fourth feature length script. ...
  A: Well, I must say you've given it the "old college try," as we say in English. Send me an e-mail to ...
Re: finishing your screenplay9/16/2005
  Q: Hope you can help me out! I have been working on a screenplay for a few years now and I have been ...
  A: The answer to your question depends upon factors about your situation that you haven't described. ...
learning to write scripts9/7/2005
  Q: hey there, i was wondering what the best books/courses to learn to write scripts (short ...
  A: Short stories are not my specialty (although I have written them). The market for short stories ...
idea for screenplay8/10/2005
  Q: I have an idea for a screenplay that involves the military from a woman's standpoint. Do you think ...
  A: It's true that some ideas are intrinsically better than others, some ideas are overused and ...
Writing a screenplay8/4/2005
  Q: How are you? good i hope. I'm just going into high school and I have recently developed an interest ...
  A: Yes, I can recommend resources. First you can visit my website at www.createyourscreenplay.com and ...
New Sitcom Idea Submission7/28/2005
  Q: I am an inventor and writer.My latest invention is rated #1 in the nation.( www.isuri.com )I have a ...
  A: In the next few days, I'm going to send you a package of information from my archives about breaking ...
Treatments7/19/2005
  Q: Pearson, I have an idea for a TV Show. I guess it would be called a realilty show, but something ...
  A: Selling an idea is extremely hard, even with a treatment, and with a reality show, it's even harder, ...
Produced writer looking for agent...7/17/2005
  Q: Mr Pearson, I am a writer who has had two screenplays produced by low budget film companies. The ...
  A: Congratulations to you on your sales. That's a good start. You need to send me an e-mail at ...
What to include to support TV series pilot7/11/2005
  Q: I've written several feature films and gotten "close -- top 10%" p.s. on 2 different Nicholl ...
  A: Those are pretty good numbers on the Nicholl -- it's a highly competitive contest, even though it's ...
Law and Order episode6/29/2005
  Q: I wrote an episode for Law & Order. How do I submit it to NBC for consideration? Thanks! JILL
  A: Established shows like Law and Order develop their material in their story department. It rarely ...
Question about the WGA6/29/2005
  Q: I have spent a couple months writing a screenplay and am now looking for potential producers, ...
  A: Seems to me you're getting misinformation. It would be helpful to you to register your script with ...
Sci-Fi Channel6/21/2005
  Q: How did you get to pitch to the Sci-Fi channel?
  A: I was associated with a colleague who had done business with them in the past. This is probably not ...
Reading groups6/20/2005
  Q: I have just finished a script that I would like to start shopping. Unfortunately I do not know if it ...
  A: I often get asked this question. The short answer is that anyone whose opinion would be worth ...
Television Screenwriting6/17/2005
  Q: i was interested to know how you can keep your episodic stories so fresh and entertaining? the ...
  A: The technique for keeping episodic stories fresh depends on whether you're writing a serial or an ...
Inspiration6/14/2005
  Q: I'm only 16 years old and am still at that stage where deciding what I want to do with my life is ...
  A: 16 is the best time to be thinking about whether or not a writing career is for you. Also, if you ...
"Critiques"6/2/2005
  Q: At a local library, I saw a notice posted on their bulletin board giving out a number to call for ...
  A: You sound like a pretty smart cookie to me. Not only that you can really express yourself cleverly. ...
what is name of movie6/1/2005
  Q: I could not get the answer from the movie category people, so may I ask you if you can tell me the ...
  A: Pretty hard to track it down with just the information you've supplied. If you knew one of the ...
Query Letters5/31/2005
  Q: I am trying to get some feedback on a query letter I wrote. I just finished the script and am trying ...
  A: It's a question I get asked quite often. There are some services that will help you with your query ...
screenplay for books5/17/2005
  Q: Pearson, There are several books for which I'd love to write the screenplays. How would I go about ...
  A: I need more information. What books? When were they published? Do you know if the author is still ...
Copyrights5/15/2005
  Q: I am a mexican film student, and have currently written a short film script based on an Edgar Allan ...
  A: Edgar Allan Poe died in 1849. There is no copyright holder. All his works are in the public ...
subtitles4/28/2005
  Q: I recently read some helpful feedback you gave another writer regarding expressing dialogue and ...
  A: Nice to hear that you liked my answer. I wouldn't put the "subtitled" indicator in the (V.O.) spot. ...
Plotting4/9/2005
  Q: I've been writing radio and television commercials for over 25 years, now I'd like to try my hand at ...
  A: Nice to hear from Alberta{:>) Could you please send me your question in an e-mail to ...
How to indicate a scene is B & W?4/8/2005
  Q: I'm sure you have a lot to read so I will get to the point. I am just beginning to try my hand at ...
  A: See my answers below.Hi, I'm sure you have a lot to read so I will get to the point. I am just ...
Screenwriting and music copyright4/1/2005
  Q: If a screenwriter thinks a copyrighted song would be perfect for the screenplay, how is that ...
  A: By all means, in your screenplay, put the name of the song you think would be perfect, as in the ...
Going about a first script3/30/2005
  Q: Pearson, This is a question from someone who has no real formal training in film or ...
  A: If you are passionate about being a writer, and you want to get a start at it, but have to hold down ...
practical?3/29/2005
  Q: I would just like to know how practical is it really to get into screenwriting? Will I be able to ...
  A: Compared to dental hygenics or accounting, not very practical at all. Don't expect to "make it" ...
disdain of Hollywood writers as subject matter3/27/2005
  Q: I have heard that Hollywood doesn't like to make movies about screenwriting, itself. I have written ...
  A: There is an aversion to scripts about screenwriting and screenwriters. It's seen to be ...
Writing Samples3/26/2005
  Q: When someone asks for writing samples, should you send a whole script, or a few pages of it? I'm ...
  A: It depends partly on who's asking. Is this a magazine that wants you to write an article? Someone ...
A Screenplay3/20/2005
  Q: Hey- I wrote a short screenplay (about 11 pages,) and I was wondering if you could give me some ...
  A: You need to tell me specifically what kind of "input" you need. And you need to specify what the 11 ...
writing partner3/4/2005
  Q: How do I go about finding an experienced partner who can transform my ideas into proper treatment or ...
  A: If you want to do it the right way, you need to hire a writer. Whether you do that or how you do it ...
Soap Opera's3/2/2005
  Q: i am writeing a Soap Opera Called The Light Above and I wanted to know if you could some how give me ...
  A: A soap opera is a drama, serialized into many many episodes; therefore, each hour contains five or ...
Courses2/3/2005
  Q: There are so many courses and consultants out there. Any suggestions on how to decide which one to ...
  A: Yes, it can be very confusing to find the right course for you. Before you start taking courses, ...
createyourscreenplay@rogers.com2/3/2005
  Q: I am a beginner screenwriter and I have completed a first draft of a screenplay. I need more ...
  A: Ki Kevin, Character Development can mean a great number of different things. The typical character ...
Teaching1/28/2005
  Q: I am going to be teaching a one day workshop to screenwriters at a Junior College (College of San ...
  A: I can be a lot of help to you, because I have taught many workshops and seminars, and regularly do a ...
Selling a screenplay1/26/2005
  Q: I've been asked by the author of a fairly successful novel to write a screenplay for her. What is ...
  A: Congratulations. Is she paying you? If not, don't sign anything giving her full rights to the ...
royalties12/22/2004
  Q: i have written a musical and am eager to see it performed on a stage... any stage anywhere. ...
  A: I have to base my answer on my knowledge of how community and professional theater usually works in ...
formatting12/22/2004
  Q: While I have writing experience, I have none writing screenplays. Now I've been asked to do one. ...
  A: Proper formatting is VERY important where screenplays are concerned, and those who read screenplays ...
screenplay ending12/12/2004
  Q: .. your credentials are beautiful. I am a 73 year old beginer. When you start a script do you type ...
  A: I'm out of town right now, and do not have access to my archives. If you send me an email at ...
Screenwriting11/3/2004
  Q: The question I have is more like a request. I am doing a term paper on screenwriting as a career as ...
  A: Send me your questions. Not too many. And visit my website please before you frame your questions. ...
Newbie11/1/2004
  Q: I am an aspiring author and screenwriter. I am only in 7th grade but want a head start on my career ...
  A: I can hardly believe that you are only in Grade 7. You're very articulate for your age. Writer's ...
Another Question10/22/2004
  Q: How did you break into the buisness? Any tips for me? Everyone i've talked to makes it seem very ...
  A: Well you live in the best place in the world to "break into the business." When young writers who ...
Script Agencies10/22/2004
  Q: If you need to actually know someone in the buisness to even get a foot in, then what can these ...
  A: Yes, they can help you get to a buyer. But it depends on which "agency" or scriptlister you deal ...
What does it mean!10/21/2004
  Q: I am afraid this is a rather random question on the fringes of writing. I have recently sent three ...
  A: Q -- I am afraid this is a rather random question on the fringes of writing. I have recently sent ...
To Write or Not to Write10/18/2004
  Q: I have completed six spec scripts. I have concepts for at least a dozen more spec scripts, but I'm ...
  A: Since you haven't exposed the scripts to the marketplace, you can't possibly know what kind of ...
Graduate Screenwriting Programs10/16/2004
  Q: At the present time I am applying for graduate screenwriting programs at UCLA, USC and AFI. I have a ...
  A: This is an important decision you're about to make, and I take it seriously. I need more ...
Golden Lion10/13/2004
  Q: What is the Golden Lion Award? Do you know?
  A: Yes. Visit this site, and surf from there. ...
Newbie Writer with a Great Idea9/28/2004
  Q: I have this great idea for a TV series, and I want to start developing it. I know everyone probably ...
  A: I'm not sure if you realize it, but you've just asked a question that requires a complex answer. I ...
Screenplay9/27/2004
  Q: What should a synopsis for a screenplay include in order to register it and thereby protect others ...
  A: Send me an email at createyourscreenplay@rogers.com and I'll send you a package of info on ...
How to get from a short screenplay to a long one9/15/2004
  Q: I've written two screenplays that aren't technically formatted and they are both only 20 pages on ...
  A: This is too involved a question to answer adequately in the AllExpert format. Send me an email at ...
Education and breaking into the buisness9/12/2004
  Q: I am a year 12 student about to finish secondary schooling. In your opinion, do you feel it is ...
  A: You must have ordered from me in the past. I have your address in my Outlook Express. Please ...
the final product8/15/2004
  Q: I am working on a story for a film or television script...I can't decide. It started out as a film ...
  A: I can give you a more complete answer if you write to me at createyourscreenplay@rogers.com, and ...
Dialog8/4/2004
  Q: Pearson, If a character is thinking something in his head: For example- JOHN ...
  A: It's fine to give an actor something internal to work with but you need also to give the actor ...
Screenplay ideas7/25/2004
  Q: I'm a 43-year-old woman and have never satisfied my creative personality. I have a few good ...
  A: I commend you for your desire to become a writer at a later stage of life (not that it's TOO late). ...
Query letter woes7/12/2004
  Q: I was reading your profile, and thought to myself how wonderful it must be to have accomplished so ...
  A: See my responses to your questions below: Q --I was reading your profile, and thought to myself how ...
How much of an advantage is it, for a putative script-writer, to live in LA?7/8/2004
  Q: First of may I say that I am unsure as to whether I am violating some rule of etiquette for this ...
  A: See my answers in upper case below. Hello Barry, First of all may I say that I am unsure as to ...
how do i go about wrting a movie?6/30/2004
  Q: i want ot write a romantic movie. how do i go about it? i wnat to know how to write the movie in the ...
  A: I have lots of good information for you, but it's too much to deal with here. You need to send me ...
Lengthy Script6/29/2004
  Q: I have written an extremely lengthy script for an entire television series. I am prepared to start ...
  A: First of all, the bad news: there is no such thing as an 800 page script in the television ...
Screenplay costs6/22/2004
  Q: After you've finished writing a screenplay, About how much does it cost to register,package, and ...
  A: It costs $22U.S. to register your screenplay online with WGAeast. To see details go to the end of ...
How render the dialog of natives into English for the audience?6/15/2004
  Q: Mr. Pearson, I read an earlier answer you gave about how to handle foreign languages and subtitles ...
  A: We struggled with this issue in my current project, which involves Chinese speakers. We wanted to ...
screenwriting6/15/2004
  Q: when writting a fighting scene in your screenplay, do you write about each blow word for word, or do ...
  A: You describe the fight in the most vivid detail you can. Good luck with it, Barry TO GET MY FREE ...
Age6/5/2004
  Q: Hey; I think I asked u earlier on about the average price for a script. Now I wanna know if 16 is ...
  A: 16 is not too young to start writing and working on your writing skills. I've never heard of a 16 ...
How to get true story looked at5/15/2004
  Q: I am the person who fought the city of Tombstone Arizona over their old illegal Earp ordinance. Yes, ...
  A: This could be a valuable telefilm or film project if asuitable market can be found for it. True ...
Book To Film5/13/2004
  Q: I am interested in converting a SciFi Novel into a screenplay. Being this is my FIRST attempt, what ...
  A: I need to know what book you intend to adapt, and who owns the copyright to it. Write me at ...
Adaptation of scripts for dubbing5/4/2004
  Q: I run a London-based agency providing language services to the film- and advertising industry. I've ...
  A: Yes, absolutely, I do. I've done a number of adaptations from translated works, and as a producer ...
What Direction to go In4/27/2004
  Q: I have been writing screenplays since the age of 12. Now at 20, I feel I am ready to write a good ...
  A: Well it's not too many questions, but it's too many to answer through All Experts. Send me an email ...
scripts4/25/2004
  Q: I know you're busy, but I really need your help. I live in Japan right now, but I used to live in ...
  A: Go to IMDB to search the writers. Maybe the agent is listed and you can write him or her. Also you ...
how much to reveal in screenplay4/21/2004
  Q: I've gotten negative feedback on scripts for not revealing information such as a character's name ...
  A: This is an easy one. Go with EXT FIELD - DAY. BUT--if you want it to be the same field when the ...
format4/7/2004
  Q: Am I ever allowed to use numbers for years or is it always spelled out?
  A: This is one of those instances in which the WRITER gets to choose! Whatever suits you best -- but ...
How do i start a career?3/29/2004
  Q: I am currently a college student and would like to be a screenwriter. I want to start as soon as ...
  A: For a start, you can do lots of research on the internet. Go to my website ...
Words on signs3/24/2004
  Q: How do I write what words are writtien on a sign? Whether it be a sign smeone carries at a protest ...
  A: There could be a number of choices, but the simple way to do it is to describe it in the narrative. ...
screenwriting format3/9/2004
  Q: When introducing a scene in someone's house, do I use INT. SUBURBAN HOME if we don't know the ...
  A: The best thing to do, if John is a lead character, is to use INT. JOHN'S HOUSE. If John is making a ...
TV treatments3/9/2004
  Q: I am trying to find some info on treatments for TV shows. In particular, game shows. I've found very ...
  A: I'm sorry to say that there really isn't any freelance market for game show treatments. That's why ...
Script to film3/2/2004
  Q: How can I promote my screenplay? See: www.bridgestoredemption.com Thank you
  A: I was very impressed with your website. I particularly liked the appropriately subtle sound effects ...
Non-fiction3/2/2004
  Q: I'm hoping to find someone to collaberate with.I dont know how to go about this,I never went to ...
  A: Even though you "don't know how to go about this," the likeliest way for you to have any hope of ...
First an English editor and THEN a Scriptwriter!!! Please2/13/2004
  Q: My name is Tollan Wade. I currently live in Salt Lake City, Utah. I was born in Bromley, Kent, ...
  A: You're right, it's a little out of my field of expertise. Please email me at ...
Writing Stage Plays vs Screen Plays2/5/2004
  Q: What is the writing or formatting differences between Stage Plays and Screen Plays. I have a play ...
  A: First, let's deal with whether your work should be a stage play, or a screenplay, (or maybe even a ...
writing t.v. movie script for cbc-tv "personality."12/28/2003
  Q: i would like to write a MOW comedy script for television with a cbc news personality as the ...
  A: Most networks are extremely protective of their news "personalities." The reason is that they have ...
Genre Profitability9/17/2003
  Q: do you know what SPECIFIC genres of film are the most profitable (not by gross, by actual profit ...
  A: Q -- do you know what SPECIFIC genres of film are the most profitable (not by gross, by actual ...
Dear Sir I have written...7/18/2003
  Q: I have written a few stories and want to convert them in screenplays, but I am unknown to the film & ...
  A: Congratulations on taking steps to advance your writing career. There are many good resources out ...
next step7/9/2003
  Q: What happens after you have written TV spec scripts and you have an agent? I read something about a ...
  A: These are questions that I have addressed in detail in a number of FREE minibooks which I will send ...
Dialogue Question4/15/2003
  Q: I have 2 quick questions. The first dealing with dialogue. If my character is speaking another ...
  A: Before I carry on to answer your question, let me invite you to visit my website, where you'll find ...
writing process3/27/2003
  Q: Another question, if you don't mind: What is your writing process for feature films? For instance, ...
  A: An excellent question. I give a detailed exhaustive description of my writing process in my new ...
group of characters introduction3/27/2003
  Q: Hey Barry, thanks for your advice last time. I gave you a great rating to show my appreciation. My ...
  A: Well, here's the old standard works-every-time gambit: Throw a wedding! Study the wedding scene of ...
first draft blues3/27/2003
  Q: I've been dealing with a major issue my entire screenwriting life: I have such high standards for my ...
  A: I'm glad to see that you still retain a sense of humor, considering that you're wrestling with one ...

All Questions in This Category

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Barry Pearson

Top Expert on this page