Writing Plays/Screenwriting/Questions Answered by Expert Donald L. Vasicek

SubjectDate Asked
Constructing English Songs played in Movies and Plays from Poems.7/15/2016
  Q: Are there English songs constructed and played in English Movies and English Plays from English ...
  A: You're welcome. Thank you for the rating. If you use this poem for a movie or music, make sure you ...
pitching movie idea8/14/2015
  Q: Mr. Vasicek: Is there a good way to find out which film companies would be most interested in your ...
  A: Demetrius, The most effective way is to be in Hollywood and in the loop. If one is not in the ...
Favorite novel.12/18/2014
  Q: It is difficult to answer but still do you feel Romeo and Juliet is the best novel by Shakespeare ...
  A: All fiction is subjective. All human beings are different. That means that what one person ...
Screenplay credits7/11/2014
  Q: I recently wrote a screenplay with 2 other writers. One of them created the characters and wrote 60 ...
  A: Eric, I apologize for taking so long to respond to your question. I've been working on a film and ...
Copyright5/19/2014
  Q: I'm planning to give my script at Blue Cat Screenplay Contest. Should I must get copyright of it? ...
  A: Vps, It is always wise to get a copyright on your screenplay, although I'm sure it will be safe ...
tv in film screenplay; use of close up in spec script2/23/2014
  Q: I want to have television shown on screen and when two people watch and have conversation. Also want ...
  A: Mitch, If you're writing a spec script the format you've used works, although it can be improved ...
formatting hallucination in screenplay2/18/2014
  Q: Is this format for a hallucination sequence correct: INT. BICYCLE - DAY Jill rides her bicycle in ...
  A: John, In the slug line: INT. BICYCLE - DAY (HALLUCINATION) Jill rides her bicycle in the street. ...
PLEASE I NEED YOUR HELP12/27/2013
  Q: I am a writer and i have written a lot of articles but i have never written a screen play. Right now ...
  A: Christopher, Get Viki King's, "How to Write a Screenplay in 21 Days." This book will show and teach ...
agents11/24/2013
  Q: How do I find reputable agents who will take on first time screen writers? Is it customary to send a ...
  A: Mike, You find reputable agents by writing up a query letter and sending it to agents you can find ...
PLEASE I NEED YOUR HELP11/21/2013
  Q: Please, i have great ideas for story lines and for the big screen, but how do i get it out there? i ...
  A: Christopher, Get Vicki King's book, "How to Write a Movie in 21 Days." Read it. Follow the ...
Just a few questions...7/4/2013
  Q: I read many websites related to screenwriting and I've noticed they were contradictory about many ...
  A: 1. I met a woman while hiking in the Cloud Forest in Ecuador. She lived in a beautiful house built ...
question...4/26/2013
  Q: I wrote a few screenplays, and I was just wondering whether this is the only way. I mean, could you ...
  A: Daniel, The film business is subjective. What one person likes, another person might not like it. ...
Screenplays4/12/2013
  Q: As a fellow writer, I want to know in your opinion, what makes a good book. I have had some pretty ...
  A: Audrey, The questions you ask are penetrating and require some thought. It would take some time ...
Margins for dialogue, etc.4/1/2013
  Q: Donald, I am confused by the variability of specs for the margins for dialogue and other elements: ...
  A: Jerry, Think in terms of the tabs on your word processor rather than measuring from margins, etc. ...
Webseries3/21/2013
  Q: I`m working on a Web series. The problem i`m having trouble with is How do i create a Web series? ...
  A: Here is a link that can be helpful to you: http://makingwebshows.com/web-series-development-part-1/ ...
Sometime later3/14/2013
  Q: Assuming that we're are in a scene, but the screenwriter wants to indicate that we skip a period of ...
  A: Jerry, A rule of thumb to follow when writing time changes is that each time time changes, a new ...
Scene Heading or Slug Line3/5/2013
  Q: Then as you told, I shouldn't use CUT TO, DISSOLVE TO in my screenplay? In the slug line we always ...
  A: VPS, Yes, those are camera directions. Camera directions should be written in the shooting script ...
Inner thoughts2/15/2013
  Q: This is about showing the inner thoughts of a character in a screenplay. Assuming the character is ...
  A: Jerry, V.O. (use only for dialogue when someone is talking via an electronic device). O.S. (use ...
Courier New2/13/2013
  Q: I hear from some sources that the Courier New font is to be avoided in screenwriting. Only the plain ...
  A: Jerry, Producers, agents, directors, actors, production companies, etc. read many scripts ...
Scene headings2/9/2013
  Q: I have a great Bproblem in scene heading. First when do we use CUT TO and DISSOLVE TO? Second,when ...
  A: Only use CUT TO and DISSOLVE TO in shooting scripts. Shooting scripts are scripts that are turned ...
doctor and screenwriter2/5/2013
  Q: I want to be a doctor but i'm also passonate about screenwriting, so should i join film school or ...
  A: Vps, The more education one gets in any profession, the more they learn and the better they can ...
o.s. And v.o.1/21/2013
  Q: i want to know that what is the difference between the use of O.S(off screen or off camera) and ...
  A: O. S. means off screen. V. O. means an actor is talking through an electronic device of some kind. ...
My rights and copywriting an idea...1/16/2013
  Q: I entered into a verbal agreement with an author of a short story. Someone adapted his short story ...
  A: Darnell, I am not a lawyer so I can't give you legal advice here, and it is likely legal advice is ...
Emergency....9/10/2012
  Q: I am trying to write 3 paragraph of storytelling about Promise, Conflict and character can you give ...
  A: Andreas, All good stories must have conflict. Without conflict there is no drama. Without drama ...
script writing9/7/2012
  Q: I am currently a Psychology student, but I have recently decided that I want to be a script writer. ...
  A: Adam, You can copyright your work online with the Library of Congress and you can put it in the ...
beginning script writing3/8/2012
  Q: i have always been a good writer, but i want to take it to another level. i have what i believe to ...
  A: Read Viki King's "How to Write a Movie in 21 Days", and the Syd Field books. These books will give ...
Local film commission?1/30/2012
  Q: You replied to another person's question by saying: "Also, go to your local film commission. They ...
  A: Phil, Check with local and state government listings. I don't know where you live, so I am unable ...
Selling my Screenplays1/12/2012
  Q: Vasicek, Before I ask my question I would like to thank you beforehand for taking time away from ...
  A: Robert, I commend you for your diligence and hard work with respect to following your passion ...
Cartoon Series1/3/2012
  Q: Good Morning Mr. Vasicek, I've read your past article titled "Cartoon Series" on this topic, ...
  A: Jeremy, I have ever written an article titled, "Cartoon Series." To find an agent, go on the ...
Formatting a scene12/30/2011
  Q: In a script I'm writing, there is a scene where the main character is at a party. I want to write a ...
  A: Mike, This works: INT. FLASH FORWARD NIGHTCLUB/BAR - NIGHT Mike nudges a blonde female with a ...
GETTING INVOLVED12/28/2011
  Q: I am currently invoved with a play that is on a nation wide tour as a Stage Manager . There has been ...
  A: Mack, You should have an agent who can help you get involved in other productions. You should also ...
Trade Marking12/15/2011
  Q: I would like to know, how do you safe guard your play or script when you are self-producing? Is ...
  A: Kita, Go to the Library of Congress website. There, you will find a copyright application you can ...
Re:12/5/2011
  Q: To who is may concern, I thank you for your time, you have spent on this site and I am sure it ...
  A: Osie, Read Viki King's "How to Write a Movie in 21 Days". This book will give you all of the ...
"Quoting" an unproduced script11/2/2011
  Q: In the final "lap" of writing an ancient historical biopic, I have come upon the English translation ...
  A: Steve, Based on my experience, I can only say that you need to have an entertainment lawyer advise ...
Script Writing Contest Questions10/19/2011
  Q: I am an aspiring writer who recently came across a contest featured on my state's film office ...
  A: Ada, I am unable to answer your question about writing a pilot script, or not, since I do not know ...
epilofue8/2/2011
  Q: But I want to ask, how do I write or format EPIOGUE and PROLOGUE? 1. Is it after FADE OUT will I ...
  A: Mr. Emmanuel, You do not write epilogue or prologue in screenplays. Film is a visual medium. ...
script7/27/2011
  Q: I appreciate the replies I get from here. I just finish my feature film script. And I don’t know ...
  A: Rotimi, You can find agents online. Just type in literary/screenplay agents in your search engine ...
Royalties7/20/2011
  Q: I know you're not a lawyer but I was hoping you could give me some advice on royalties. I work for a ...
  A: Alex, I would stay with the 4% ticket sales and 4% to those who adapted it since you did adapt the ...
Question5/13/2011
  Q: I was wondering, can you get sewed for writitng a movie thats a little bit similar to another movie? ...
  A: Hector, I'm not a lawyer, so I'm unable to answer your question. Call the Writer's Guild of ...
How to Register5/5/2011
  Q: Don. My country of origin is Nigeria. Because I will like to work with agents, producers there in ...
  A: Mr. Roimi, I am not a lawyer so I am unable to answer your question. I can say that if I were ...
How to Register5/4/2011
  Q: I will love to know how to register your screenplay with WGA or copyright work or idea in U.S, if ...
  A: Rotimi, Go to the Library of Congress website. If your work was written after January of 1978 or ...
ScreenPlay4/30/2011
  Q: I'm aly and I'm currently in my last year at high school. I'm writing a script and I need some help ...
  A: Aly, Your story idea sounds good. When writing this story, or any story, be sure to have a ...
Screenplay Length4/24/2011
  Q: I've heard over and over again that the method of writing to determine length is 1 page = 1 min of ...
  A: Juan, The standard page length for spec screenplays is 90 to 110 pages. Anything over that, or ...
Pitching a Story with Potential3/27/2011
  Q: Vasicek, I have a friend in his 50's who enjoyed limited success many years ago (in the 1980's) for ...
  A: It was nice of you to inquire about your friend's work. The film business is very competitive, so ...
Writing Dialogue- What will they speak?3/4/2011
  Q: Do a screenwriter need to write a Dialogue in the exact way a chatacter would speak or do we have ...
  A: Paul, It is perceptive of you to be concerned about the appropriate way to write dialogue. Each ...
review of script2/28/2011
  Q: I wrote a movie script. As I have pondered it, the story would be more suited to television, but ...
  A: Bernard, Congratulations on writing a movie script. Not everyone can do that. You should be proud. ...
question2/6/2011
  Q: how What am I about to ask isn't much a question, but I really am looking forward to your opinion. I ...
  A: Hector, Your query letter is fair. It should be improved. Check out my article on query letters on ...
From film to stage1/10/2011
  Q: I'm looking to adapt the Disney animated film "Hercules" into a musical to perform at my college. We ...
  A: It is possible to adapt the script for a stage production. To get the rights to do this, you would ...
Photo Montage Scenes12/16/2010
  Q: I would like to do a photo montage scene in my script that shows pictures of how the character ...
  A: Diana, Montage's are usually created by directors when working with a screenwriter on the shooting ...
Selling a screenplay12/15/2010
  Q: My friend wrote an excellent screenplay which uses the Little Tramp (Charlie Chaplin) character. On ...
  A: Aszy, I'm not a lawyer, so I am unable to give you legal advice which your question requires. You ...
TV Live Action Sitcom Pitch12/14/2010
  Q: I wrote a pilot script for a live action sitcom and I was wondering a few things: Should I write ...
  A: Adam, All tv pitches, from animation to documentary science shows, should include a pitch bible. A ...
Images on Screen12/14/2010
  Q: I a am a writter from Spain and here the formating is different. I am trying to figure out how to ...
  A: Victoria, When your budget allows it, you should purchase "The Complete Guide to Standard Script ...
Contacting actor for screenplay12/7/2010
  Q: Please bare with me, for I have few questions: Q1. I finished my first screenplay and met a ...
  A: Meberate, Actually, you should not have changed anything in your screenplay for the producer ...
sending screeplays10/13/2010
  Q: I have written screenplays which I think are good. I live in Montreal, Canada which isn't exactly ...
  A: Ben, The appropriate way to approach agents and producers with respect to your screenplays is to ...
Novel or screenplay?10/6/2010
  Q: Don, I've just finished my first screenplay and have people reading it. I'm trying to get started ...
  A: Matt, You will get an agent by submitting a market ready screenplay or a novel. It makes no ...
Adapting film into play9/30/2010
  Q: I am wanting to adapt a film produced by American International Pictures in 1956 into a stage ...
  A: Mike, I'm not a lawyer, so I'm unable to give you legal advice. I can say that you should consult ...
Monologue9/28/2010
  Q: Ive been in the entertainment industry for some time managing musicians/producers. A friend of mine ...
  A: David, If the writer is a good monologue writer, there are always comedians who are seeking ...
How can I write an epic about my own generation when we're not old yet?9/21/2010
  Q: I live outside the United States and have this question. I'm having an idea about writing a ...
  A: Liam, Flashbacks written by new screenwriters are looked down upon by film producers. If they are ...
Comic Rights9/19/2010
  Q: So I have this idea for a comic book, however, it is set in the Mass Effect (video game) universe. ...
  A: Malachy, I'm not a lawyer so I am unable to answer your question. I can say, however, to first ...
Screenplay Rights9/17/2010
  Q: I've written screenplays for a pilot episode of a serial drama as well as the second episode. I ...
  A: Marcello, I am not a lawyer, so I am unable to answer your question. I can say that you should ...
Recent option... now what???8/16/2010
  Q: Don. Thanks for being here and answering questions! Well, I FINALLY optioned one of my scripts. ...
  A: Helyn, Congratulations on your successes! It's impressive. A priority should be to get an agent ...
Basics of screenwriting.7/30/2010
  Q: Good day sir. I am not particularly a screenwriter. I only write short stories and novels but I ...
  A: Hans, What you request will require some time to help you out with this. Since this is part of ...
Targeted productions7/28/2010
  Q: I've just discovered this website and am thrilled to be able to ask questions of people with such ...
  A: Brad, The first step you should take is to identify your brand. This means that since you're ...
newspapers in screenplay format7/15/2010
  Q: I can't seem to find any examples of how to format newspaper headlines and pictures in a screenplay. ...
  A: Todd, Here is the way to format newspaper headlines and pictures: INT. WHITE HOUSE/OVAL OFFICE - ...
Action Lines7/4/2010
  Q: I've been told by some writers (at screenwriting sites) I have a style that's easy to read. I've ...
  A: George, Keep this in mind at ALL TIMES when interacting with people in the film business. In one ...
Help6/24/2010
  Q: I have an outline for a horror movie I wanna write but I dont know how to start writing a script. ...
  A: Nick, Read Robert McKee's book, "Story". Read Vicki King's book, "How to Write a Movie in 21 ...
clunky action6/21/2010
  Q: I just had my script proofread and the guy said that my action sequences were written wrong, here's ...
  A: Todd, EXT. BEACH - DAY SHAWN TIGER, slender, 28, spits out a toothpick. Throws his look about to ...
Cartoon Series Assistance6/19/2010
  Q: Vasicek, I have written two episodes of a children's cartoon series I created. I established a ...
  A: Angela, Congratulations on your accomplishment. It is impressive. You need to draft a query ...
How long does it take to read a screenplay?5/28/2010
  Q: Pls forgive me if my question seems weird. As part of my process of learning screenwriting, I ...
  A: Tommy, There is no right answers to your questions. Everyone has their own style of reading ...
script wrtting help5/28/2010
  Q: I have a original idea about a movie which i believe worth attention,however i lack the necessary ...
  A: Chris, There are five questions I usually ask someone who has a story idea (need to know the story ...
Does a scriptwriter normally write for one genre only?5/26/2010
  Q: Does a scriptwriter normally write for one genre only? On average, does a scriptwriter normally ...
  A: Victor, For the average writer, I would recommend that he/she write screenplays in as many genres ...
co writer5/22/2010
  Q: co writer to write screenplay with and im undering how i can find one ? thanks for the help .
  A: Fredrik, Go to your search engine. Type in screenwriting forums. Go to those forums and post your ...
copyright protection5/21/2010
  Q: I have a script finished and since WGA won't reply, would like to know if to obtain copyright ...
  A: Todd, I am having difficulty in understanding why WGA won't reply. If you mean that you registered ...
Flash-Flash backs5/4/2010
  Q: I know the subject might sound confusing but I was wondering how to do a series of flashbacks. How ...
  A: Tyler, Flashbacks are usually "no, no's" for screenwriters who have not been produced, i. e., made ...
My Script - Slugline4/17/2010
  Q: You sound like the ideal person to ask. I've just begun writing a screenplay (only 4 pages so far, ...
  A: Joseph, Slug lines are always used for indicating a change of time and/or location. There are no ...
names4/10/2010
  Q: I am writing a story about a ransom making squirrel and am having trouble finding names for a ...
  A: Todd, I apologize for taking so long to reply. I've been in Arizona shooting a film. I'm not a ...
screenwriting question4/7/2010
  Q: so I'm writing a screenplay that has a couple parts in which the characters read a text message or ...
  A: Dan, It would work something like this: INT. WHITE HOUSE/OVAL OFFICE - DAY President Obama drops ...
Personal direction4/6/2010
  Q: I found an article about screenwriting and it says about Personal direction: ...Personal direction, ...
  A: Masih, First, be very careful "directing" when you write. Any direction you do write, should move ...
Finder's Fee3/21/2010
  Q: I noticed that a typical finders fee is 5%. But 5% of what? Here's my situation: Since I have ...
  A: Edward, I apologize for taking so long to respond to your question. I've been in Chicago and just ...
How much to charge?3/10/2010
  Q: I run a small theatre company and, in the past, have written a play and taken it out to the ...
  A: Kirsty, First, ask her what she kind of audience she has in mind. All writers should know this ...
screenwriting question3/8/2010
  Q: I am wondering something, I am working with someone who is willing to ghostwrite a script for a TV ...
  A: Darla, In order to most effective and persuasive with your story, you must first look at the costs. ...
copyright2/17/2010
  Q: I've got a speculative screenplay and would like to know, if either the director / producer, or I ...
  A: Todd, It would helpful if you talked with a copyright lawyer about what your team and/or you to ...
Business Plan2/4/2010
  Q: Don I was thinking about starting a production company and I was wondering if you have any ...
  A: Adam, I do have experience in writing business plans. I used to do it as part of my writing ...
My past Q.1/27/2010
  Q: i found an explanation about my past first Q. in Oscar website. would you please explain it more. ...
  A: Masih, "Front" means Ian McLellan Hunter's name was used in place of Dalton Trumbo's because Mr. ...
Where to submit?1/23/2010
  Q: I have a story idea,already in novel form,for a film such as seen on Hallmark or Lifetime. It is a ...
  A: Julie, I apologize for taking so long to answer your question. I've been in Atlanta on business. ...
Selling your Script in Australia1/20/2010
  Q: I am in film college and want to get a big brake in Hollywood as a director but I have decided it ...
  A: Oleg, First, you need to correct your spelling: (brake, buy). I'm unfamiliar with Australian ...
agents1/19/2010
  Q: Don, In July I contacted an agency, The Screenplay Agency, about representation for my script. ...
  A: Charles, Go to http://moviepals.org/blog/beware-of-the-screenplay-agency. This should give you a ...
Plot1/5/2010
  Q: I have been perusing the internet regarding plot ideas and came across an article by you which spoke ...
  A: Gina, There are numerous challenges that come up when one is writing and striving to break through ...
Genres12/10/2009
  Q: I have written 3 screenplays of different genres and am wondering which one I should try to get to ...
  A: Paul, If you check Mojo.com, it will give you statistics on movies and what they gross at the box ...
Billy Wilder's tips12/9/2009
  Q: what Billy Wilder's tip no. 10 mean? he says:"10. The third act must build, build, build in tempo ...
  A: Masih, I apologize for taking so long to answer your questions. I've been shooting a film and it ...
Getting my ideas out12/7/2009
  Q: i am 20 years old with a dream of making movies one day. I have been writing for a couple years now. ...
  A: David, You must make sure your scripts are market ready. Once you accomplish that, then, send out a ...
How. When. Where.12/5/2009
  Q: I'm 20 years old and have completed 3 scripts that I feel are screen worthy. Simply put, I have no ...
  A: Corey, No writer should show their work to anyone unless they know that their work is market ready. ...
Representation for a Writer11/25/2009
  Q: I am writing because I am a writer who is currently unrepresented. In the past, I have been ...
  A: Chin, I am well, thank you. Starting back with a lawyer is good. The film industry recognizes ...
Pitching a mini series11/20/2009
  Q: Mr. Vasicek, I am currently writing a mini series. I have finished the first episode and am well ...
  A: Steve, Keep this in mind, it is okay to shop your project around now, but many companies will ...
story Vs. script and screenplay10/31/2009
  Q: I have a story and would like to know what exactly the difference is between script and screenplay. ...
  A: Todd, I apologize for taking so long to answer your question. I've been out of town and just ...
New Musical needs exposure10/26/2009
  Q: For the past 5 years we have been developing a new musical for its road to Broadway. It has been ...
  A: Paul, I apologize for taking so long to answer your question. I've been shooting a film and just ...
Do you know of such an "animal"?10/26/2009
  Q: Is there anyone out there that has a service of providing knowledgeable directions to screenwriters ...
  A: One's script must be market ready before one should go to market with it. Once the script is ready ...
A Super Idea?10/23/2009
  Q: Mr Vasicek, I’m a college student and am extremely keen to do a script for the Superman film ...
  A: Abi, In order to get any attention by a studio, regardless of what you have, you're going to have a ...
PIP9/28/2009
  Q: The main characters of my screenplay are at the center of a huge media storm. I want to convey this ...
  A: Matt, This will work: INT. TV STUDIO - DAY JACK WORDS, 50, a slick-haired anchor spits words at ...
tips!9/14/2009
  Q: I have just finished reading Orwell's 1984 for the 2nd time and i am bursting withe filmic ideas i ...
  A: Josh, Do some research on similar films, including box office. This should answer your question. ...
formatting montage9/9/2009
  Q: I am writing a screenplay and want to use a montage. I am using a writing program but can't find an ...
  A: Richard, The montage line should be a slugline something like this: MONTAGE Car race starts. Red ...
Film rights to a persons life9/3/2009
  Q: In advance thank you for reading my question and I look forward to your response. I'm an aspiring ...
  A: Natalie, I apologize for taking so long to answer. I'm working on a film and just got back to my ...
Release forms8/26/2009
  Q: Segueing from Craig'sI understand it's common practice for production companies to insist on a ...
  A: "Don", The standard release form is generated by the production company to protect the production ...
Being Involved8/23/2009
  Q: I have just finished writing a spec script and have made sure its market ready. But Im wondering, if ...
  A: Craig, You would only be involved in the production of your film if you negotiate that into your ...
Movies8/18/2009
  Q: What is the choir that provides dramatic movie backgrounds? The songs without words, just dramatic ...
  A: A moviemaker selects choirs that their budgets will allow. This means that a variety of choirs can ...
Need an agent8/16/2009
  Q: Is there anyway for you to get me a screenplay agent. I feel that I am the best screenwriter since ...
  A: Brian, The only way I can help you get an agent is to read your screenplay to determine if it is ...
starting a new medical series7/25/2009
  Q: I'm a physician and planning to start a great new television series on traditional treatments.It's ...
  A: Kamelia, For most first time programs, most producers will want to see a pilot of the program ...
am going to write a movie7/25/2009
  Q: . am from Saudi Arabia..and i am going to write a movie but before i start writing i want to know , ...
  A: Ahmad, It is helpful to copyright your work before you let anyone see it. You can register it ...
Finders fees vs. back end points7/22/2009
  Q: We are in the middle of putting together a slate of films we have written and have come across a ...
  A: Bill, I'm not a lawyer, so I am unable to answer your question. I can say that if you make this ...
Query letter question7/11/2009
  Q: Good Day, I'm in the process of preparing to send out query letters to various creative ...
  A: Rick, The logline should serve to attract readers. The synopsis should serve to attract readers ...
Questions on finding a screenwriting software program7/4/2009
  Q: I'm an aspiring screenwriter. I have a screenwriter software program called, Movie Magic ...
  A: Julian, I apologize for taking so long to respond. I've been out of state and just returned. I ...
editing software6/17/2009
  Q: I have a story that need sto be edited and might move it into a screenplay... do you know of any ...
  A: Todd, I have no awareness of any software that takes care of editing a story. You might run an ...
Screenplay from a book6/16/2009
  Q: The book that I am interested in has been out of print for some time. The author, Edger Rice ...
  A: Michael, Without spending time researching, for which I would have to charge, I am unable to help ...
Help!6/16/2009
  Q: How do I go about getting my script to something like the SUNDANCE FILM FESTIVAL, The idea and ...
  A: Michael, I don't know if Sundance still has its screenwriting section. You might want to check it ...
copyrighting, publishing & marketing an original musical6/15/2009
  Q: I have written a complete musical based on the book Pilgrim's Progress. It has been performed by a ...
  A: Cynthia, The first step would be to check into the rights with the author/publisher for "Pilgrim's ...
so new at this, but so ambitious5/28/2009
  Q: I've read most of your answers to most of the questions. you always mention in at least more than ...
  A: Mary Ann, Getting a script market ready means that the script must contain elements in it to ...
Graphics5/24/2009
  Q: I am writing a screenplay in which the main character escapes from reality into a fantasy world ...
  A: Russ, Although your work is impressive and creative, I would caution you about the use of images, ...
Getting Started, Do I Stand A Chance5/20/2009
  Q: I am an 18 year old Art student and I have just written my first movie script. I spent several ...
  A: Craig, Your chances for getting your script produced is just as good as anyone else's. The key to ...
Finding a "match"5/14/2009
  Q: Have written several screenplays. The problem is... Finding a good match. Seems like I'm writing for ...
  A: Don, I apologize for taking so long to answer your question. I'm shooting a film, so it's difficult ...
turning a book into a film5/7/2009
  Q: I am wishing to turn a published series of books into 1 or more screenplays. I only want to write ...
  A: Shye, You should contact the author. If that fails, for whatever reason, contact the publisher. ...
story to final product5/5/2009
  Q: Vasicek, I am the mother of an 8 year old, with a lot of creative energy. He likes to develop ...
  A: Sprague, I'm unaware of forums for children to develop stories. You might want to do an Internet ...
Screenwriting Classes4/17/2009
  Q: Do you think Robert McKee's "Story" seminar is a good screnwriting class? Have you ever taken it? I ...
  A: Beverley, I've never taken Mr. McKee's screenwriting class, so I'm unable to say anything about ...
I'm writing a book and I want to make it a movie4/14/2009
  Q: I am completely new to this.But I want to make a movie.I have been in plays before.My stories in ...
  A: Taylor, You need to write down your movie idea. Then, write a log line for it. Then, write a ...
Author driven3/23/2009
  Q: Can you offer me any tips to keep a screenplay from being "author" driven rather than character ...
  A: Alan, Simply, study story-driven screenplays. Utilize the story to drive the main character. ...
Who owns the character?3/23/2009
  Q: If I write a screenplay based upon a character in a novel that I wrote before the screenplay, once ...
  A: Alan, When you sell the script, you can negotiate to retain rights to the character. All future ...
should I change the plot?3/21/2009
  Q: I have completed a draft of a drama period screenplay concerning a young man in a quest for his ...
  A: The late introduction would only work if you build up to it. Your main character, at this time in ...
FORMATTING OF SCREENPLAYS3/16/2009
  Q: I have a question about the correct/acceptable formatting for a screenplay. I was told by a college ...
  A: Ingrid, I will not put myself in a position any longer by recommending products. This business is ...
Outlines3/14/2009
  Q: I was wondering whether or not it is necessary to write an in depth outline before you begin writing ...
  A: Kyle, Each writer must develop their own style of writing. This includes writing, or not writing ...
Screenwriter Funding3/13/2009
  Q: Okay, I have a script, and it has stirred up some interest. I found a top-dog screenwriter who ...
  A: Sean, To raise capital, you might want to check out Go4Funding.com, My Capital.com, and Breadstreet ...
LA/Screenplays/Pitch3/9/2009
  Q: I am a 24 year old filmmaker based in UK with considerable experience. I am going to Los Angeles ...
  A: Gabriel, Unless you have had caused a studio, or studios to have a successful box office movie, ...
script format2/27/2009
  Q: my name is James and I have some great ideas for a new sitcom. The problem is all my scripts so far ...
  A: James, I am unaware of any free software. Do an Internet search. I'm sure you'll find some. ...
sitcom production2/27/2009
  Q: I have spent quite some time writing and developing an idea for a new sitcom. I have so far made 5 ...
  A: Zach, Go to "The Hollywood Creative Directory". It lists companies, contact information, and what ...
writing for tv etc.2/26/2009
  Q: my name is James, i'm 15 and an aspiring actor/writer. I really want to work as a writer for TV ...
  A: James, You're welcome. If you find a company that is interested, the first they will want to put ...
copyrights and stories2/19/2009
  Q: I've completed a story idea for a book that could be made into a movie, but I don't know who to ask ...
  A: Todd, Run an Internet search on Stan Lee. It should turn up some information for you so that you ...
Movie Trailer Design2/16/2009
  Q: Do you know of any good-quality companies that will design a movie trailer ("visual pitch") for ...
  A: Sean, There are a multitude of companies who will design a movie trailer. Just do an Internet ...
When should I pitch?2/16/2009
  Q: I'm an 18-year-old who is writing his very first screenplay. I have been writing books since age 12. ...
  A: Sean, Your "pitch" paragraph here on AllExperts is powerful. You are on the cusp of getting film ...
The next level2/15/2009
  Q: I am a 27 year old high school drop out who has traveled the world, worked many a boring and ...
  A: Judging someone's writing is usually subjective in nature. Anyone who writes, writes in the style in ...
Nonna..my grandma2/11/2009
  Q: Is there someone in Pittsburgh you can recommend to help me complete a screenplay about the most ...
  A: John, I'm in Colorado so I don't know anyone in Pittsburgh. Check with Pittsburgh's and/or ...
Royalties1/29/2009
  Q: I have a question concerning screenwriter royalties. I am putting a man's story into a screenplay ...
  A: Lauri, 10% royalties should be spelled out. What does he mean by royalties? It is good that you ...
Writing help1/27/2009
  Q: I like English, and it has always been my best subject. I'm trying to find which area of writing I ...
  A: Jeff, Reading books can be most helpful. Take time to figure out what kinds of books you like to ...
Compensation for sequels or future projects?1/23/2009
  Q: I believe I have a strong possibility of selling one of my scripts to a film financing and ...
  A: Joseph, Call the Writer's Guild of America. Ask to speak to someone in Contracts. Pose your ...
forwarding a question1/23/2009
  Q: I am also a participant in AllExperts.com, but my expertise is in broadcast journalism. I am ...
  A: Mark, The most effective way to sell the series is to write a treatment and shop it around. You can ...
Network with filmmakers/writers/actors1/10/2009
  Q: I have a website that I would like to promote and I believe a great way to establish our image is by ...
  A: William, Go to filmmakers/writers/actors forums and pose your question in those forums. You will ...
Moving to LA for Screenwriting1/9/2009
  Q: I am unemployed and living in northern Minnesota. I've written three screenplays. I've "lost" with ...
  A: Michael, I don't live in LA, just do business there, so I'm not that familiar with the city. Every ...
A pair of opposites, but no conflict.12/26/2008
  Q: Vasicek I am writing a short film in hopes of producing and shopping to festivals. I came up with ...
  A: Jason, I apologize for taking so long to respond. I've been out of town working on a film and just ...
an information commentry12/22/2008
  Q: I m screenplay writing newbie , onetime I has heard in tv from a well expert in movie criticism he ...
  A: AJ, I apologize for the time it took me to respond to your question. I have been out of town ...
Feedback and some guidance...12/18/2008
  Q: Mr. Vasicek... I'm 22 years old, live in Croatia (Europe) and have been writing stories since I ...
  A: I apologize for the time it has taken for me to respond to your request. I am shooting a film, so ...
Graduation to be a Screenwriter12/8/2008
  Q: I'm Waqar Ali from Pakistan. I'm 21 years old. I want to be a screenwriter. I want to know that, ...
  A: Waqar, I apologize for taking so long to respond to your question. I've been busy with making a ...
non-fiction means fact!12/2/2008
  Q: i have a really great book for which I want to obtain screenplay rights. Everything in this book is ...
  A: Cian, I'm not a lawyer, so I'm unable to clarify this for you. Find Lawyer for the Arts online. ...
Mini-Series Pitch11/17/2008
  Q: Mr. Vasicek, I am interested in working with an agent to assist me in pitching a mini-series I've ...
  A: Joanne, You can find the kind of agent you desire by doing some research on agents who represent ...
where to send the stories11/17/2008
  Q: I wrote a few stories and now I want to hand them over to someone that may make them into films, I ...
  A: Todd, If you to send them to writers, expect to pay for a writer, or writers to turn your stories ...
Biopic rights11/8/2008
  Q: I'm interested in writing a biopic about a very famous American artist who lived at the beginning of ...
  A: Inon, I'm not a lawyer, so I am unable to answer your question. I can say that since you're ...
Selling screenplay11/8/2008
  Q: I noticed you have a great deal of experience in the film industry. I have written a couple of ...
  A: Maxwell, Check "The Hollywood Creative Directory." Write a query letter. Send it to producers and ...
Producers interested in Gospel stage plays11/7/2008
  Q: I am writing to find out if you would know of any websites or anyone who is interested in producing ...
  A: Lowe, Congratulations on your book. Be sure and let me know when it comes out. As for websites ...
Legend Biographical-Musical. Modoc story of Greatest Elephant that ever lived.11/6/2008
  Q: Full subject: Title: Legend: Biographical-Musical. Modoc: The Story of The Greatest Elephant that ...
  A: Spencer, While I can relate to your passion for this story, I would have to charge you for any work ...
play writing10/29/2008
  Q: I've been writing a play but I'm lost as how to account for the length that a play runs, can you ...
  A: Mark, You should get at least one minute per page with stageplay format, and about one minute per ...
getting in the jungle10/28/2008
  Q: I have just written my first screenplays for short-films. I would like to put them in the right ...
  A: Luis, 1. The movie-maker will usually tell you what they want to read. If they don't, ask them. ...
historical figure10/23/2008
  Q: I am working on a screenplay that is based on a little known historical figure. You could say, a ...
  A: Kim, I'm not a lawyer, so I'm unable to answer your questions. I can say that you can ...
Hollywoood10/20/2008
  Q: Do you have to be in Hollywood, or go to Hollywood to sell your script? If not, if you are somewhere ...
  A: Demetrius, No, you don't have to in Hollywood to sell your script. You write a query letter ...
my scripts10/18/2008
  Q: my name is Shane. I am 13 years old. I have begun an interest in screenwriting and I am currently ...
  A: Shane, Send your scripts to me at dvasicek@earthlink.net. I'll read them and let you know what I ...
Adaptating a play to a movie10/16/2008
  Q: As a first year film student at Temple University, I'm interested in adapting Waiting For Godot for ...
  A: Kyle, I am not a lawyer, so I am unable to answer your question. I can say that you should track ...
Scriptwriting9/29/2008
  Q: How long, on average, should a film script be?
  A: Cal, It depends on the genre. Action, thriller, comedy are usually 90 pages to 110 pages. Dramas ...
Finding Management9/21/2008
  Q: I would love to know if you have any tips on the best way to find (good) literary management. My ...
  A: Maya, First, you must change your way of thinking if you are to succeed as a screenwriter, In ...
I need some more help9/17/2008
  Q: Ok i have been asking around and seraching on the web and i cant find what i need...I am in high ...
  A: Canaan, I'm not a lawyer so I'm unable to answer your question about using a celebrity's name in ...
copyright9/15/2008
  Q: Is there anyway I can check if my script is copyrighted yet? I sent my script and everything to the ...
  A: Luis, You should receive the copyright information in the mail. Since it's been this long, check ...
Submissions & Reviews9/14/2008
  Q: I've got a completed manuscript and novel, now the question arises, who can I send each to? A lot of ...
  A: Eric, I am unable to answer your question about the manuscript, since I do not know what is ...
need opinion9/7/2008
  Q: I had written 2 separated scenes as a sample to proving my abilities as new screenplay writer , I ...
  A: AJ, Format is awful. Sentences far too long. You need to learn how to write screenplays before ...
options9/1/2008
  Q: An agent wants to option one of my scripts for two years, for free. Does this sound right? I didn't ...
  A: Harrison, In my opinion, it is not that much of an opportunity if the agent wants to option your ...
royalties for song on show8/29/2008
  Q: if a TV show were to use a song you wrote, what is the minimum amount of money you can make? Is ...
  A: Luis, Call the Writer's Guild of America. They will give you the answers to your questions. I ...
writing songs for local shows8/23/2008
  Q: I have an idea for a musical and have started on a script for it, but i want to write my own songs, ...
  A: Elaine, You need to find a composer. I can recommend one, but he composes and records music for ...
SCREENWRITERS OUTSIDE U.S.A8/18/2008
  Q: I'm preparing a script (which can be translated to be a movie) based on a true story. It is a bout ...
  A: Bernard, You can find production companies, producer, studios, etc. in "The Hollywood Creative ...
Want to develop idea but also work a screenwriter8/6/2008
  Q: I consider myself a very creative person. Sometimes a song will come on the radio, and a story ...
  A: Kerrie, It appears like you have a visual mind. A screenwriter must be able to be visual since film ...
TV Drama8/3/2008
  Q: I have my story and characters developed and I am in the phase of plotting. Although I am confident ...
  A: Irene, I commend you for your accomplishment. It sounds like you are a serious writer with clarity ...
questions7/4/2008
  Q: whats your opinion about someone analyze all things around him , usually searching for trunth , ...
  A: Carlito, It appears like you have some of what it takes to be writer. However, I would have to read ...
New sitcom idea6/26/2008
  Q: I sent an e-mail to Curb Your Enthusiasm at HBO and asked how to go about doing this and received a ...
  A: Terri, I apologize for taking so long to answer your question. I just returned from a shoot. Call ...
First try at a screenplay6/17/2008
  Q: I am writing my first screenplay and have about 20 pages written so far, but just want to make sure ...
  A: Jeeje, A screenplay can be called a script, so I'm not sure what you mean by "script." Writing ...
WRITING6/16/2008
  Q: ALL MY LIFE I HAVE SPOKEN TO PEOPLE WITH UNSPOKEN WORDS THROUGH WRITING AND PEOPLE HAVE SAID THINGS ...
  A: Q, Writing of any form requires study and research. The strength of any type of writing resides ...
Release forms6/9/2008
  Q: I'm a standup comedian in NYC and through networking I have become acquainted with an established ...
  A: Amanda, I just returned from Europe, or I would've answered your question sooner. It is a ...
can screenwriting be a full time career6/7/2008
  Q: can screenwriting be a full time career? and also i have a 50 page screen play. could that be turned ...
  A: Jeff, Screenwriting can be a full time career. It takes hard study and work and can take several ...
question !6/1/2008
  Q: I wan to know whats the factors & standards must be put in film makers mind to let the movies ...
  A: ao, Factors and standards must be of the highest quality possible. This all begins with the ...
need to ask5/31/2008
  Q: because I want to improve my screen write with some shots & camera movement & angles so I required ...
  A: jc, If you are a screenwriter, then you must leave the camera angles up to the director. Most ...
inquiry: How to sell articles to magazines5/29/2008
  Q: Good day! I need information on the following questions. 1) What is the correct format in writing ...
  A: Amram, 1. Indent seven spaces. Write in paragraph form. 2. Double space. 3. Two. 4. Seven. 5. ...
how to sell?5/20/2008
  Q: I am a new screenwriter. I have have completed a screenplay and have gotten feedback and have have ...
  A: Kevin, Congratulations on completing your first screenplay. You are now amongst those who have had ...
question please5/18/2008
  Q: 1- when I screen play , how can I get a reference for my work to evaluate my work ? 2- whats the ...
  A: jap, 1. For a reference to evaluate your work, use your Internet search engine for script ...
When Dreams Turn to ScreenPlays...4/28/2008
  Q: Literally... yeah, I am a dreamer, but all of my screen play Ideas come from detailed dreams of ...
  A: Eric, Most screenwriters are dreamers. Why not dream? It's part of being human. Simply remember ...
how to obtain rights to someone's life story4/2/2008
  Q: I recently found out about an incredible woman whose life story would make a great movie. There's no ...
  A: Kate, I'm not a lawyer, so I'm unable to tell you how to obtain the legal rights to her life story. ...
getting my screenplays into the right hands3/11/2008
  Q: I have been writing most of my life. Mostly technical journals, self-help, construction, that sort ...
  A: The key to getting definite action on your scripts is to make sure they are market ready. Market ...
royalties2/21/2008
  Q: Don, For more than 10 years I have been wanting to write a Daphne Du Maurier book, Frenchman's ...
  A: Barbara, First, congratulations on your fine work. No easy task. I'd love to read it. I'm not a ...
best route to take2/18/2008
  Q: I have an epic proportioned screenplay that has garnered some interest in one company that didn't ...
  A: Joseph, Test the waters first with a slam dunk query letter and cold calling and pitching. If ...
Murder, I Write2/9/2008
  Q: I have two loosely related questions for you: 1.) If a bodyguard murders to protect his client, is ...
  A: Hamoudy, I am not a lawyer, so I'm unable to answer your questions. I can say that murder, is ...
New Novel AT ALL COST2/1/2008
  Q: I have written a novel which is to be on the shelves in approximately two months. My publisher is ...
  A: Congratulations on your upcoming publication. It is not that often one gets a book published. In ...
Concept for a Screenplay (Research Question)2/1/2008
  Q: I'm not sure if you are the right person to be asking this, but I am working on an episode that ...
  A: Harmoudy, A PI would definitely be helpful in identifying the thief, possibly even more helpful ...
idea for a sitcom1/19/2008
  Q: What do I do if I have an idea for a sitcom and am not a writer?
  A: Stacy, You can hire a writer to write it for you. You can contact production companies and pitch ...
Casting1/9/2008
  Q: A couple of scripts I'm working on are imagined with particular actors in mind (I'm sure we all do ...
  A: Kit, The etiquette of getting an outline or treatment directly to the actors you have in mind ...
Not haveing the idea stollen1/8/2008
  Q: Don: I read your response to one of the other posts about how to proceed in approaching a television ...
  A: Tim, If you fear this, then it is more likely to occur. It is unlikely since most producers ...
what to do now?1/6/2008
  Q: I am 24 years old and have studied film at my Uni in England. I have just finished writing a script ...
  A: Greg, Congratulations! By writing a script, you have accomplished something very few others have. ...
screenwriting question12/29/2007
  Q: I need to write a series of flashbacks. My character will be listening to someone speak and be ...
  A: Ellen, Just continue each flashback like you do the first one: INT. WHITE HOUSE - DAY XXXXXXXX ...
Based on a true story12/6/2007
  Q: I am interested in writing a script based on a true crime story, using many articles and a ...
  A: I'm not a lawyer, so technically, I'm unable to answer your question. However, based on personal ...
The Crown11/1/2007
  Q: I was an actress in the movie "The Crown" as Beth -Lew Temple's date :) I was also the Props Master ...
  A: Lori I apologize for taking so long to answer your question. I just received your question today. ...
Novel to screenplay conversion10/18/2007
  Q: I am an aspiring screenplay writer. I have several books I can envision going to the big screen and ...
  A: Wheaton, I apologize for taking so long to answer your question. I just received it today, so it ...
U.K. resident, trouble selling script in U.S.10/7/2007
  Q: I've written a script in the 'horror genre' and I was wondering if it is better to try and sell ...
  A: Craig, Even produced screenwriters have their screenplays read by someone else (someone knowledge ...
want to get my tv script read by a network. how do i do that?8/30/2007
  Q: ok i am a screen writer a unknown one and i have a idea for a tv show i have the pilot writen up and ...
  A: Jesse, Write a query letter. Write a small script to use over the phone. Get a copy of "The ...
published book to movie8/16/2007
  Q: I think my fiction novel, The Boy On The Side Of The Road, currently in paperback would make a ...
  A: Tammi, The appropriate and most effective way to initiate the contact of movie producers is to ...
where to get started7/15/2007
  Q: My friend and I are beginning to adapt a film into a stage play. How do we go about getting it ...
  A: Tammy, First, check with the movie company for rights. You'll need a lawyer to tell you how to ...
keep in touch7/12/2007
  Q: translation are - most of the times - a kind of crime respect of the original text. so, how can ...
  A: Alberto, The only way I can think of avoiding it is to be "there" when the translation is taking ...
Adaptation? Who to question for permission7/4/2007
  Q: I have a very detailed script idea for a sort of sequel to Mary Poppins, as in a story featuring the ...
  A: Susan, I am not a lawyer, so I am unable to answer your questions. I can suggest that you call the ...
sitcom6/27/2007
  Q: .i'm in the process of creating a "sitcom"..i guess the best comparison would be Seinfeld..my ...
  A: Moayad, Write up a query letter. Send it out to agents and producers. Finish writing the script. ...
obtaining rights6/10/2007
  Q: I am a professional singer, songwriter, author (yet to be published, but still an author) and I ...
  A: Marney, There is no use writing the play, performing it, and/or videoing taping it, unless you ...
legal question in my screenplay5/22/2007
  Q: I am writing a screenplay about a 16 year old girl who runs away from home. I am having trouble ...
  A: Darcy, I am not a lawyer, so I'm unable to answer your questions. I can say that if you do enough ...
Selling high concept movies ideas4/26/2007
  Q: I am not from the US and have many high concepts ideas for future movies. I am not a screenwriter ...
  A: You should do research to find out what companies are looking for the subject matter contained in ...
Permissions?4/12/2007
  Q: Vasicek, I am interested in writing a screenplay about a famous person's life/career/successs. ...
  A: Fox, Call the Writer's Guild of America, West ((323) 951-4000 (800) 548-45320). Ask them for the ...
play format2/28/2007
  Q: I'm looking for a basic, cheap screenplay formatting program. Or maybe a free program I can download ...
  A: Jim, If I mention one, and not any others, then I could get myself in trouble. So, if you conduct ...
Screenplay Need Financing2/7/2007
  Q: I have written several screenplays and am ready to get investors for the production of my ...
  A: Tina, You're creeping out of the area into development with your screenplay. Although my focus is ...
production costs1/19/2007
  Q: I have a question about production costs. Is it more expensive for television shows to film in Los ...
  A: Danielle, It all depends upon the kind of television project one wants to film, and for what ...
What to do with money1/15/2007
  Q: Many years ago I found a passion in film and theatre and perfroming arts. Like most others I ...
  A: Don, The first step you should take, if you haven't, is make sure you have a working knowledge of ...
copyright breach1/1/2007
  Q: I have written a screenplay but I am quite inspired by a song. In fact I have used some of the ...
  A: Cagri, I am not a lawyer, so I am unable to answer your question. Run a search via the Internet ...
new sitcom idea12/27/2006
  Q: Can you help me with a sitcom idea i have. I am totally new at this and have no connections or ...
  A: Mario, What do you want to do with your idea? Write a script? Pitch your idea to production ...
producers12/18/2006
  Q: I was wondering how do people become television and movie producers? Is the usual path to start out ...
  A: Danielle, If you were to interview each person who became a television or movie producer, I would ...
marketing a script12/12/2006
  Q: Do people "shop" around tv pilot scripts for sitcoms and children's cartoons the way they do movie ...
  A: Danielle, You are right on. Many times you will be told to submit through your agent. If you ...
screen play plot,ideas12/10/2006
  Q: I need help in trying to complete my screen paly I try to write but run short of ideas and loose my ...
  A: Maxwell, Go to donvasicek.com. Click on articles. There, you will see a series of articles that ...
storyline10/22/2006
  Q: How can I get someone to read my storyline? Why does everyone want money to read a 1 minute ...
  A: Dan, I've never heard of anyone wanting to be paid to read a 1-minute storyline, so I can't address ...
Multiple locations in Scene Heading10/16/2006
  Q: Don, I have a character that starts on a front porch at night and observes for a few seconds, then ...
  A: Chris, I apologize for taking so long to answer your question. I've been away shooting a film and ...
Production/Promotion10/9/2006
  Q: Mr. Vasicek, good morning. I have a completed screenplay and one in the works. I have had a very ...
  A: Good morning, MS. Darracq, Get a copy of "The Hollywood Creative Directory." It contains names, ...
2 format questions10/9/2006
  Q: A few of my scenes take place in an open convertible (car). Do I start those scene headings with ...
  A: Autumn, Use INT if the scene takes place "in" the convertible. If the scene takes place outside ...
Does school overshadow talent in writing?9/24/2006
  Q: I am an unproduced screenwriter, but I have done some work for small companies. I'm in the process ...
  A: Neal, If you are in the trenches in Hollywood, and are good are at networking, it makes little ...
Contacting a Director9/20/2006
  Q: Mr. Vasicek, I regularly work as a mechanic but recently decided to start working as a ...
  A: Brian, The first step you should take is to complete your script. The second step you should take ...
Writing for an established Movie Franchise9/4/2006
  Q: I am an amateur screenwriter and have future plans in developing a film in a previously established ...
  A: Eric, Until you're a produced screenwriter and have a reputation, it is wiser to have written your ...
Writers Guild and International Copyright8/10/2006
  Q: A friend of mine and I are creating a Television series and were wondering what the process for ...
  A: Jeremy, Go to the Library of Congress web site. There you will find instructions on how to get a ...
Series Arc8/10/2006
  Q: We are developing a Sitcom and we do not know what the format should be for writing the series arc. ...
  A: Manuel, Go to Google and type in television sitcom scripts. There, you should find a host of web ...
copyrighting a play7/29/2006
  Q: i have written many plays and would like to get them copyrited and then produced. what needs to be ...
  A: Ahsha, Although I'm listed as an expert on plays, I am not. Plays are coupled with screenwriting, ...
marketing a screenplay7/19/2006
  Q: as a fellow expert (homebuilding and construction) I feel it is time to try this service myself. I ...
  A: Bruce, Those who charge to read your screenplays should be screenplay consultants who are looking ...
Preliminary biopic questions7/5/2006
  Q: I have been researching a woman for an article I'm writing, and I think that her life would make for ...
  A: The questions you ask border on the need for legal expertise. Since I'm not a lawyer, I can only ...
Screenwriting Process4/28/2006
  Q: I am currently in the process of completing my first screenplay, I am now getting frustrated because ...
  A: Malik, I would suggest that you chalk up the purchase and failed use of the screenplay software to ...
Hollywood4/10/2006
  Q: Im 22 years old, and more than interested in becoming a screenwriter. the thought of things I have ...
  A: Dan, There is no problem with sending your script from your home. The way you would do this is to ...
submitting for production4/7/2006
  Q: I have a complete screenplay, not a treatment, ready to be looked at by potential producers. I have ...
  A: Augusto, You should immediately have your screenplay copyrighted (you can do this online on the ...
how to write4/7/2006
  Q: please sir i am a nigerian and i think i have some really great story ideas but i dont know how to ...
  A: Charles, Go to the Internet and look for screenwriting books. Viki King's "How To Write A Movie In ...
Screenwriting software program that creates outlines1/31/2006
  Q: I'm an aspiring writer, and I have intentions of writing short stories, novels, and screenplays. A ...
  A: Julian, I apologize for taking so long to answer your question. Links, etc. got mixed up and the ...
Ok. I need to write and film...12/22/2005
  Q: Ok. I need to write and film a short film with a relation to africa. I want to make a slightly ...
  A: Natasha, The plot should "show" your story with a beginning, a middle, and an end.  It should ...
Success Rate11/16/2005
  Q: Quick question, how rare is it that an ametuer that has no experience (like myself) actually gets a ...
  A: Eddie, Thank you giving me a rating. It is thoughtful and I appreciate it. Like they say in the ...
Script11/15/2005
  Q: I'm new here, so I'm still getting used to navigating and where to ask what question. Anyway, my ...
  A: Eddie, After you write a script for a film, write a query letter. Joan and Lydia Wilen's book, ...
Spacing11/2/2005
  Q: Hey there. I just finished a play, and the people I'm sending it into said the play needs to be ...
  A: Nick, Although I'm listed with plays on AllExperts, I have no experience writing plays. Plays are ...
potential movie script9/9/2005
  Q: ok, so i am writing this for myself as much as for you, this is an excuse to make myself do it. but ...
  A: Maggie, While I enjoyed reading your story and found it well-written and compelling, I want to tell ...
selling the screenplay9/9/2005
  Q: How do I go about selling my screenplay? Must I have an agent? May I contact the studios directly? ...
  A: Victoria, Go to Google. Type in "how do I go about selling my screenplay?" You will receive a ...
Writing a movie...8/10/2005
  Q: Hey I was wanting to make a somewhat short movie for the fun and accomplishment of it, I wanted ...
  A: Admiral N, It sounds like a story that Hollywood would like. You need to get it in script form. ...
Beginning----2 questions.7/11/2005
  Q: 1. Is there ever an oppurtunity to sell an idea and if so how much could I expect to sell it for. ...
  A: Randall, 1. In order to sell an idea you will have to contact Hollywood producers and production ...
Getting something onto broadway6/30/2005
  Q: I have a goal to get a musical on broadway by the time I'm 25 (I'm sixteen now, and am in the middle ...
  A: Drew, Since my specialty is screenwriting, I have little knowledge about how to network with the ...
General question about making pitches.6/24/2005
  Q: Basically, I'd like to know any tips you have for pitching screenplays. What should I tell or ...
  A: Hunter, Study newspaper, "TV Guide" loglines. Go to Google.com, type in "Screenplays How to ...
Reading Groups6/20/2005
  Q: I have just finished a script that I would like to start shopping. Unfortunately I do not know if it ...
  A: Mark, Go to Google.com. Type in: Screenwriting, Reading Groups. This should give you resources ...
Critiques6/2/2005
  Q: At a local library, I saw a notice posted on their bulletin board giving out a number to call for ...
  A: Augusto, I would ask this woman to send me her resume before I met with her, and before I paid her ...
properly citing quotations & proverbs5/27/2005
  Q: Vasicek--thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I'm not hell-bent on going to ...
  A: I'm not a lawyer, so I'm unable to answer you questions. I can say that, in my own experience, I ...
writing plays4/29/2005
  Q: I WROTE THIS PLAY BUT IT WAS NOT THAT PROFESSIONAL, BUT IT HAS GOOD STORY THOUGH. I PLANNIN TO ...
  A: Jake, I'm listed as an expert about plays because screenwriting is also listed with writing plays. ...
Dialogue4/25/2005
  Q: Perhaps this seems very basic; I am new to this and doing it for fun. Do screenplays contain ...
  A: Noelle, Screenplays contain dialogue. You can go to Google.com, type in screenplays. It will give ...
What to do now?4/9/2005
  Q: My first screenplay scored in the top 15% in the Nichols contest, and I'm told that's pretty good. ...
  A: Amber, Sorry it took so long to respond. There was a glitch and I just found about your question ...
How to indicate a scene is B & W?4/8/2005
  Q: I'm sure you have a lot to read so I will get to the point. I am just beginning to try my hand at ...
  A: David, Simply indicate when the scene is B & W like this: INT. CHICAGO/BASEMENT - NIGHT Earl ...
practical?3/29/2005
  Q: I would just like to know how practical is it really to get into screenwriting? Will I be able to ...
  A: Ashley, Thank you for your questions. You are wise by asking questions before acting on your ...
Screenwriting books/how to3/5/2005
  Q: Vasicek, I have written several books and have come to the realization that I need to expand my ...
  A: Cary, For some 101 tuneup on how to write screenplays, you might want to check out a preview of ...
writing partner3/4/2005
  Q: How do i go aboout finding an experienced partner who can transform my ideas to treatment or screen ...
  A: Scott, Not to take away from your talent and ability to come up with ideas, but, as for ...
act lengths2/11/2005
  Q: But if a page = 1 min of screen time then that is only a 2 hr film,.. am I mistaken?if I'm adapting ...
  A: L. J., You are correct. 120 minutes, or two hours, is what the screenwriter needs to think in ...
Reading?1/28/2005
  Q: A friend and I have been asked to help an aspiring screenwriter. He is not well-versed in the ...
  A: Tom, Besides reading the books I am about to list, he should also study screenplays and movies that ...
Dialogue length1/4/2005
  Q: I am writing an action script but find that Act I is basically all dialogue, in order to establish ...
  A: Ben, Particularly with action scripts, writers should think in terms of action, not dialogue. ...
Is film school legit?12/30/2004
  Q: I'm thinking about going to film school in order to better myself as a screen writer, but is film ...
  A: John, Whatever education you acquire, is a step in the right direction. So, attending film school ...
Screenplay12/22/2004
  Q: I've been asked to write a screenplay with regard to a fairly good selling novel of 1999. While I've ...
  A: Dennis, or should I say, Fellow Expert, Congratulations regarding the screenplay assignment. At ...
writing/selling a script11/22/2004
  Q: I have several questions for you about my screenplays. This is my first time ever writing anything I ...
  A: Jamie, The limit on screenplay pages is usually between 90 and 120 pages for beginning writers. ...
When contacting potential representation11/11/2004
  Q: I am a "yet-to-be discovered" screenwriter who is striving to have a career as a writer/producer. I ...
  A: Rico, Agents are only in the position of superiority you mention because of the law of supply and ...
Format: Montage11/7/2004
  Q: First, are montages used in regular screenplays or should they just be used in a director's version? ...
  A: Curtis, Use of montages by screenwriters in spec scripts can cause these screenwriters to be ...
script agencies10/22/2004
  Q: If you need to actually know someone in the buisness to even get a foot in, then what can these ...
  A: john ramos, A quick check of SLG Productions (I was unable to find CSS) shows that you have to make ...
Screenplay packaging10/15/2004
  Q: Don: My writing partner and I were recently e-mailed by a Randy M. Hirsch (who claims to be a ...
  A: Brice, I had a person similar to Mr. Hirsch approach me in a similar way. This occurred 15 years ...
Golden Lion10/13/2004
  Q: What is the Golden Lion Award? Do you know?
  A: Sorry it took so long for me to answer your question. I've been out of town shooting a film. I ...
Scripts10/8/2004
  Q: I have never worked in the film industry so have no knowledge of how it works and what correct ...
  A: Paul Reeves, I apologize for not responding sooner. I just received your question this morning. ...
Screenplay9/27/2004
  Q: What is need to properly (through registration) protect a synopsis of a screenplay? How long should ...
  A: David, I'm not sure how you can protect your synopsis. Call the Writers Guild of America, west ...
what my protag does for a living?9/21/2004
  Q: I'm working on a screenplay but I'm having trouble with the protagonist's charactization. He works ...
  A: Daniel Ho, I just returned from shooting some footage for my latest film. Your e-mail came while I ...
Reaserch9/7/2004
  Q: Respected Sir I am going to write a science fiction / fantasy story about a man who can ...
  A: Anil, Type "Science" in the Google box and see where that leads you. Also try, "change of physical ...
Libel Laws8/26/2004
  Q: I have a legal question I hope you can answer. Do I need permission to use a character that is based ...
  A: Rachel, I'm not a lawyer, so I am unable to answer your question. I'm sorry. Check with Lawyers ...
4th v 5th draft - should we take a step back?8/23/2004
  Q: Unfortunately I have no way of paying you at the moment as I am currently working my way through ...
  A: Darrell, I'm pretty well tied up with a film project. I have deadlines and simply don't have the ...
screen adapation8/19/2004
  Q: I've written a novel that is being published this winter and I am preparing to write the screenplay ...
  A: Michele, Congratulations for the upcoming publication of your novel. Can you tell me the title so ...
basic things8/11/2004
  Q: FOR A SCREENPLAY: 1. what is INTERCUT? 2. what is CLOSE UP and CLOSE ON? 3. explain the position of ...
  A: Maria, Purchase the Cole/Haig book, "Standard Script Formats: Part 1 (Screenplays). It has been ...
a Character's thoughts8/10/2004
  Q: When a character is thinking something intended for the audience to hear, is this indicated by using ...
  A: Darrell, Use V.O. of character's voice: INT. WHITE HOUSE - DAY President Bush does wheelies on a ...
Filling it in7/29/2004
  Q: I am writing a screenplay and I've run into a bit of a problem, after 27 pages I'm almost done. Just ...
  A: I apologize for taking so long to answer your questions. I just returned from filming. Without ...
Montage format7/29/2004
  Q: In a script I'm writing, I have a montage scene where someone is watching hours of a particular ...
  A: Matthew Pella, Use an establishing shot slug line like: INT. JOHN KERRY'S HOUSE - DAY President ...
three acts structure in screenplays7/26/2004
  Q: Is it necessary to have your screenplay broken into the three act structure? I'm not sure where one ...
  A: Darrell, If you want to write screenplays that sell and get produced, you are going to have to ...
writing scripts7/22/2004
  Q: do you have any tips on writing action thriller movie scripts
  A: Scott Williams, Study action thriller movies. Outline them, scene-by-scene. Download action ...
Think Hollywood = Live Hollywood, given the chance?7/8/2004
  Q: First of all may I say that I am unsure as to whether I am violating some rule of etiquette in this ...
  A: If you want to be successful as a screenwriter, then truck to LA, and stay there, until you're ...
how do i go about wrting a movie?6/30/2004
  Q: i want ot write a romantic movie. how do i go about it? i wnat to know how to write the movie in the ...
  A: Tobenna, There are a multitude of ways you can write a movie. I'd suggest you start out with my ...
Flashbacks6/16/2004
  Q: When writing a "flashback" of a characters life into your screenplay,how is this formatted? Does it ...
  A: Darrell, INT. SAND CREEK MASSACRE SITE - DAY XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX FLASHBACK ...
$$6/4/2004
  Q: Hey; I am almost done with my first script and I want to sell it. It is an adapted romantic comedy. ...
  A: Check with the Writer's Guild of America. They will be very helpful to you. Don Vasicek "How To ...
Screenplays..6/4/2004
  Q: there. I have been reading a lot lately about screenplays for both TV and movies. I was wondering if ...
  A: Go to Google.com. Type in screenplay samples for screenplays. For television scripts, type in, ...
looking to find out5/26/2004
  Q: I am getting ready to rewrite a play I haven't writen since high school, now I am ...
  A: Bear in mind, I'm not a lawyer. You should check with one if you have doubts. There is a web site, ...
new screenwriter5/23/2004
  Q: i dont know where to start and i really feel like i am ready to start screenwriting. Do you have ...
  A: I'm not sure I understand it. Are you looking for something about which to write, or how to start? ...
CAPS4/24/2004
  Q: Should I use CAPS in my screenplay? I've heard that CAPS shouldn't be used in specs.
  A: Think in terms of having a pile of screenplays to read by Monday morning. What kind of screenplays ...
essay4/17/2004
  Q: i need a little help on an essay i have to write for a competiton. it is called *children--the ...
  A: Emma, Any kind of writing you do, should tell a story. It should have a beginning, a middle and an ...
Visual writing problem4/15/2004
  Q: Vasicek, Sir, I need help. -am having a tough time getting the ACTION and IMAGES on the page. I ...
  A: Doug Aarne, There should be a beginning, a middle and an ending when writing description. It ...
Starting a Screenplay4/12/2004
  Q: Vasicek. My name is Tylor Anderson, and I've got a problem about writing screenplays. I'm a very ...
  A: Tylor, To write a screenplay like Tarantino or Avary, simply study their screenplays. Outline ...
Adapting4/12/2004
  Q: -Hello Don, Thank you for your reply. By all means I understand the respect issue of ...
  A: Rico, What you might want to do is find an agent, a publicist, or marketing person who can help you ...
page length4/7/2004
  Q: When submitting a script to someone, is it in my best interests to make sure it's exactly 120 pages, ...
  A: Matthew Pella, The length of a spec screenplay should always range from about 100 pages to 120 ...
Drafts and Price4/1/2004
  Q: I want to know how many drafts do you have to write for a script before it is actually 'brought to ...
  A: Assma, One of my screenplays was brought to life after three drafts. Another took fifteen drafts. ...
Legalities3/22/2004
  Q: I would like to create a screenplay from a novel which was written over forty years ago (by someone ...
  A: Narth, I'm not a lawyer, so legally, I am unable to advise you. Check Volunteer Lawyers for the ...
screenwriting format3/9/2004
  Q: What sound effects should I capitalize? If someone CLAPS LOUDLY or LAUGHS, do I capitalize them or ...
  A: Matthew, If you're writing a new screenplay, you might want to ignore the utilization of sound ...
script2/25/2004
  Q: How would i start writing a script.I have a great idea but i just need it on paper.Can you help me.
  A: Tyson, Go to Google.com. Type in the search box that you need help to learn how to write a ...
Creative license2/20/2004
  Q: Don, I am writing a historical drama. The two main characters are fictional, but connected in a ...
  A: Mark, Your story and passion for it sound compelling. The advice you are asking for should come ...
Mentor Question2/14/2004
  Q: I have two questions: 1. Can you recommend a good online scriptwriting class? 2. I am adapting a ...
  A: Mary, For online screenwriting classes, go to Screenwriters Utopia. Contact Chris Wehner, the ...
help2/2/2004
  Q: There has to be something you can tell me to help. I have a major problem, My wife is pregnant, and ...
  A: west, First thing you should do is get a job so that you can take care of your wife and the baby. ...
I would like to use a story in my script but...6/25/2003
  Q: I have a screenplay I am working on and I would like to have a performance of "Cinderella" take ...
  A: Shaun Paikai, I'm not an attorney, but what I would do if I were in your position, I would first ...

All Questions in This Category

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Donald L. Vasicek

Top Expert on this page