Writing Plays/Screenwriting/Questions Answered by Expert Roger S. H. Schulman

SubjectDate Asked
Query Letter11/18/2014
  Q: I am sending out a query letter for representation for two of my screenplays, a romantic comedy, and ...
  A: Dave, ordinarily I would recommend sticking to one topic, project or script per query. In my opinion ...
finaldraft software11/17/2014
  Q: Is it possible with FinalDraft to write a new script without the old one being erased? Can I write ...
  A: Yes of course, that's the whole reason for Final Draft, or any word/script processing software. ...
scree play competiton with english10/31/2014
  Q: please I found some international competitions for screenplay writing , this competition required ...
  A: It's a bad idea to translate your script into English using a machine. Computer translation isn't ...
Opening of a script5/19/2014
  Q: My script has ten minutes of talking scene, is this OK?
  A: I assume you are measuring the running time by page count. If you have a ten-page scene with two ...
Is it alright not to appreciate 'great films'2/23/2014
  Q: May I ask this question? Is it alright not to appreciate 'great films'? I mean, is it normal for a ...
  A: No, it is not all right for a dedicated screenwriter to not appreciate "great" films. Now, before ...
idea protection1/28/2014
  Q: I have a unique idea for a screenplay. How do I pitch it without someone stealing the idea? ...
  A: Please pardon my delay in answering your question. There are three things to remember when it comes ...
How good are the Oscar nominations this year?3/16/2013
  Q: I really appreciate your thought on the Oscar nominations this year. I was surprised that Argo won ...
  A: This is a hot-button topic in so many ways. Are the Oscars an indication of quality? Is the ...
Magzines2/9/2013
  Q: Is any magzine or newspaper related with screenwriting available in the market?
  A: I apologize for my tardiness in answering this question. There are several magazines related to ...
Novels2/5/2013
  Q: Does novels reading help in screenwriting? I read scripts,watch movies a lot but didn't read a ...
  A: There's an old saying that "Novels are about what people think, plays are about what people say, ...
Page one re-write...and my rights.12/11/2012
  Q: I was asked to direct a short film and was given a four page script. I didn't believe that the ...
  A: I'm not really qualified to definitively answer your question. I urge you to consult an ...
How do I know if this genre is suitable for me?9/2/2012
  Q: I am interested in how a writer chooses to make a genre his own. I'm currently a student studying ...
  A: First let me apologize for not answering this question promptly. Somehow it fell through the cracks ...
question-6/23/2012
  Q: Good day Can you give refer me to any source where i can find out practical ways to connect ...
  A: Sunil, the answer to this question is basically a course in screenwriting, which I suggest you look ...
Competition6/22/2012
  Q: For about 4 1/2 years I have been working, on and off on a historical script, and soliciting ...
  A: There's an old Talmudic saying I favor: "If there's no solution... there's no problem." That is to ...
Producer Submission6/22/2012
  Q: I met a well-known producer and USC adjunct yesterday, who invited me to send him a historical ...
  A: Before I answer the question, a quick question of my own for clarification: you say the producer ...
Solid Brass Brads: Hollywood Standard?6/20/2012
  Q: I've read that ACCO solid brass brads are an industry standard for feature-length script submissions ...
  A: I might say that you should spend less time thinking about brass brads and more time crafting brassy ...
Rights of Screenplay and Story5/21/2012
  Q: With whom does the rights of a story and screenplay lie ? With the writer or the production company. ...
  A: This is actually a question for an entertainment attorney. I can't answer this question with any ...
using microsoft word to write screenplay4/2/2012
  Q: I plan to use Microsoft Word to write a screenplay. Do you know if this can be an easy feat? Have ...
  A: I spent years using Microsoft Word to write screenplays for the big and small screens. One of my ...
How do I prepare?3/24/2012
  Q: I've been planning a comedy in my head for a long time now and I'm finally going to try and pitch ...
  A: Louise, I must apologize for missing your question. Somehow it didn't end up in my inbox. AllExperts ...
How to find out whether a show takes spec scripts1/29/2012
  Q: In paper publishing, publishers put out writers' guidelines saying whether they want new ...
  A: I'm afraid I've got some bad news, Phil. You won't find any published listing of TV shows that are ...
Selling Screenplays1/12/2012
  Q: Schulman, Before I ask my question I would like to thank you beforehand for taking time away from ...
  A: First, let me apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I was out of town and neglected to flip ...
Cartoon Series12/27/2011
  Q: Good Afternoon Mr. Schulman, Over this last summer, I made a joke about an idea to a close friend ...
  A: First, let me apologize for my delay in responding. Year-end business got in the way, and then the ...
How should you work at night?12/14/2011
  Q: I'm asking as someone who has a full-time job, a family and finds it hard to work. During the day ...
  A: This is a great question, and it's the first time I've been asked it on this site. Writing is a time ...
To Whom is may concern12/5/2011
  Q: To Whom is may concern , I thank you for your time, you have spent on this site and I am sure ...
  A: It sounds as if English is not your first language -- at least not written English -- so I hope my ...
Is Final Draft only for English writers?11/29/2011
  Q: I have a question about the software Final Draft. Is it meant for writing the script in English ...
  A: I don't have the definitive answer to your question as I am not a software expert. However, I did a ...
Do many American screenwriters seek work abroad?11/24/2011
  Q: We all know that the movie/TV industry in the United States is the most difficult and competitive in ...
  A: I don't have a grasp of exactly (or even roughly) the number of American screenwriters who seek work ...
Any reason why a certain premise hasn't been done for a while?11/14/2011
  Q: I'm outside of the industry so I'm often curious why some certain ideas haven't appeared on TV more ...
  A: You know something, Tony? I'm inside the industry and I'm just as curious as you. The reason ...
Lack of historical evidence for your script?11/7/2011
  Q: Could you pls help me with this question? I'm writing a tv series about a group of spies who ...
  A: The straight answer to your question is, no, it doesn't matter. You're not creating a documentary; ...
A question on writing about actual events11/3/2011
  Q: There is one thing that gives me confusion. As I understand, if you want to write about a real ...
  A: My answer must be categorized under conjecture and supposition, because I am not a lawyer and I am ...
"Quoting" an unproduced script11/2/2011
  Q: In the final "lap" of writing an ancient historical biopic, I have come upon the English translation ...
  A: This is rightfully the domain of an attorney. In fact, I should've declined to answer your question ...
What if there seemed to be no actors for your script?10/31/2011
  Q: I hope to hear your advice on this question. I'm originally from Vietnam and am writing a sitcom ...
  A: Since you are Vietnamese and in the UK, you probably know something about what it's like to be a ...
Myth or reality: 1 million dollars for an unproduced script?9/22/2011
  Q: At least twice I read, from newspapers, about some screenwriters who were paid handsomely, as much ...
  A: Brace yourself: some screenwriters have received many times more than a million dollars for a single ...
Can a screenwriter live comfortably after one TV season?9/21/2011
  Q: I read that last year, seven out of eight new TV series, commissioned by NBC, were cancelled after ...
  A: A show that is cancelled after one season is certainly more successful than a show that is never ...
A question about the length of a TV drama series9/1/2011
  Q: I live in England and this morning I read about an interesting argument regarding the ideal length ...
  A: First, let me apologize for the delay in my response. I was finishing the draft of a feature project ...
script7/27/2011
  Q: Rogers. I appreciate the replies I get from here. I just finish my feature film script. And I don’t ...
  A: First, Rotimi, I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. Somehow your question fell through ...
Agent help7/17/2011
  Q: Schulman, I have developed an amazing TV game show and need to find an agent to help me with who I ...
  A: Not true -- any large agency nowadays has a department for "reality programming," which is where ...
Question7/13/2011
  Q: Hey, I'm writing my first screenplay, and it about a man who can dodge bullets. As I think about it ...
  A: First, I apologize for not replying sooner. I've been writing, and it's kind of sucked up all my ...
Production7/12/2011
  Q: I've written my own sitcom scripts all I need is a production company and I don't know howmto ...
  A: Please search my archives for answers to questions about getting an agent, submitting scripts, and ...
Good blogs for screenwriters?6/8/2011
  Q: may I ask this question? Is there any blog, or website, about screenwriting that you follow and ...
  A: Here's a few you might try: Michael Hague: www.storymastery.com Syd Field: www.sydfield.com Final ...
Why mediocre screenplays are still made?5/29/2011
  Q: It is known that every year there are thousands screenplays to be submitted in the United States ...
  A: This is a question that is often asked. Let me suggest that you take a few minutes and search the ...
Are there many formats available in screenwriting?5/7/2011
  Q: Recently I borrowed some screenplays from my local library, and I became confused because apparently ...
  A: I understand your confusion. There are in fact many acceptable formats for screenplays, and many ...
A question about "int/ext" format4/28/2011
  Q: I was told that as an accepted format, when you write a script, you have to write down the sign "int ...
  A: I love William Goldman, but I wouldn't go by his excerpts as an example of proper formatting. It ...
Differences between a 45-minute show and a movie?4/23/2011
  Q: The genre I'm talking about is limited to crime/detective shows like CSI or Law and Order. I'm ...
  A: This is an excellent question because it sheds light on both types of screenwriting (small screen ...
How helpful can screenwriting books be?3/29/2011
  Q: Last weekend, I came to my local bookstore and was amazed to find that there are so many books which ...
  A: Your bookstore, I'm sure, revealed only the tip of the literary iceberg. There are thousands of ...
Why can't a director simply rewrite the script?3/17/2011
  Q: I have read many tales about how a script, after being accepted, had to be rewritten many times. ...
  A: This subject -- the business of rewriting -- occupies half or more of a professional screenwriter's ...
worth pursuing3/10/2011
  Q: I am the author of a self published book a true crime action thriller . It is a true story I lived, ...
  A: Hollywood doesn't care much about dialog. And goodness knows the level of literature is not exactly ...
using a characters name3/7/2011
  Q: Is it illegal to use a characters name like Marty Mcfly as homage in my script?
  A: I'm not a lawyer and this is a legal question. I suggest you find an entertainment or copyright ...
Why can't all bestsellers be adapted for movies?2/26/2011
  Q: I ask this question from a 'commercial' view. If the Hollywood studios want to make money, why ...
  A: I'm not a studio executive, so I can't answer your question with any authority. But I can tell you ...
Should US TV produce long series?2/22/2011
  Q: I'm from Asia and find it interesting that US TV, at least nowadays, don't broadcast long series at ...
  A: Your question is fascinating. I'm not sure I can answer it, because I'm not familiar with the Asian ...
Any current TV series that you recommend?2/15/2011
  Q: I have come to enjoy and trust your answers at this AllExperts site. I would like to ask whether ...
  A: Sorry for the delay in my response. And thank you for your compliment. I will tell you some TV ...
question !2/11/2011
  Q: I ll enter a screenplay competition , it required for competitors to submit just screenplay pitch ...
  A: Generally speaking, screenplay competitions require fully-written screenplays, not any other kind of ...
How do you know the real length of your screenplay?2/1/2011
  Q: Suppose you need to write a 45-minute TV episode, then how do you know the true length of your ...
  A: The only way to truly know the length of your script is to assemble a temporary cast and do a "table ...
First Script Sale (follow-up)1/28/2011
  Q: Let's see if we can get this question back on track. I don't care much about the latest trends in ...
  A: It's been many years since I've been paid the WGA minimums, so they're not figures with which I'm ...
First Script Sale1/27/2011
  Q: I recently came across a short video clip of Dov Simens saying (if I understood him correctly) that ...
  A: I'm a bit confused by your question. Instead of attempting to answer it and screwing up, I'd like ...
TV pitch format1/19/2011
  Q: I really enjoyed your films and shows! I work professionally as a feature film writer and have a ...
  A: The real answer to your second question is: No. There are no standard guidelines. Because pitch ...
Play writing11/12/2010
  Q: I am working on a stage adaptation of a film. Although not a "musical", there are several songs in ...
  A: I am not by trade a playwright, so I'm not really qualified to answer your question. However I do ...
Physical characteristics10/18/2010
  Q: I was wondering if it is absolutely essential to include physical characteristics in a script. If ...
  A: So that I may better answer your question, please tell me exactly what you mean by physical ...
Sending Screeplays10/13/2010
  Q: I have written screenplays which I think are good. I live in Montreal, Canada which isn't exactly ...
  A: It's true that the Film Capital of the World is not exactly Montreal,Canada. But you're not off by ...
A TV scriptwriter cannot write for feature movie, and vice versa?9/29/2010
  Q: My question is: Is it true that normally, a TV scriptwriter would fail if he tries to write for a ...
  A: If you search my credits, you'll see that I have a British Academy Award for movie writing. I also ...
How can I write an epic about my own generation when we're not old yet?9/21/2010
  Q: I live outside the United States and have this question. I'm having an idea about writing a ...
  A: Since you ask me this question in apparent seriousness, I must answer in kind, straightforward and ...
critique8/18/2010
  Q: Do you know of any sites on the web that do a great job in proofing screenplays? I checked out ...
  A: Sorry about the delay in replying. I'm not familiar with proofreading websites. If these sites ...
Are unimportant characters important?8/18/2010
  Q: I am writing a story that has news reporters in it. There are quite a few of them, and they all have ...
  A: Good question. There are two ways to handle this, the straightforward and perfectly acceptable ...
Where do I stick this text?8/17/2010
  Q: this is my set up so far: EXT. The nation mall - washington dc - day WIDE: Stage with crowd around ...
  A: You've got it right. If you're going to indicate a shot, you must do it before you detail what is ...
Is it easier to write a screenplay for a martial arts movie?8/6/2010
  Q: It seesm to me that there is a discrimination against scripts for martial arts / kungfu movies. And ...
  A: Well, your logic holds some water, and I am no expert at this genre. But my guess is that the ...
Tales within Tales8/4/2010
  Q: I'm working on a script in which the main character frequently tells parables, usually quite short, ...
  A: I could spend a lot of time trying to remember pictures that do exactly as you describe, but I think ...
TV Treatment: Behind the Pilot7/26/2010
  Q: I'm working on a pilot for a 30 minute comedy in the vein of "Entourage" or "Sex and the City" -- ...
  A: First let me apologize for the delay in my response; I'm on deadline for a pilot script. Assuming ...
What if you cannot attend a full-time class on screenwriting?7/12/2010
  Q: I have been at my current job for nearly a decade, which has nothing to do with movies. My ...
  A: Of course! You don't need to take a full-time class to become a screenwriter. In order to give ...
Do you try to watch as many films as possible?7/10/2010
  Q: As a writer, do you try to watch as many films - in many genres - as possible, hoping you might ...
  A: A more complicated question than you might at first think. Especially when one, as I do, suffers ...
script format7/9/2010
  Q: I have a few questions: do we number the very first page of the script following the title page? The ...
  A: The reason you have gathered conflicting answers for these questions is simple: there are no right ...
Selling Your Ideas To Production Companies7/5/2010
  Q: i am a visual artist and cartoonist and I'm currently working on a few projects to pitch to ...
  A: There are so many variables in these transactions, it would be impossible for anyone -- not just me ...
How long does it take to read a screenplay?5/28/2010
  Q: Pls forgive me if my question seems weird. As part of my process of learning screenwriting, I ...
  A: First, let me apologize for the delay in responding. I usually do better, and I promise to do ...
Does a scriptwriter normally write for one genre only?5/26/2010
  Q: Does a scriptwriter normally write for one genre only? On average, does a scriptwriter normally ...
  A: You're actually asking two questions, in my estimation. The first is: "Does a scriptwriter ...
pictures in screenplay5/1/2010
  Q: I contacted you a while back about TV writers' agents for non-US citizens which I know was not ...
  A: First, let me thank you for the charming compliment. I only wish my typeface could be blushing red. ...
Cont'd4/26/2010
  Q: In a screenplay, I have a character speaking dialog while on a cell phone. If the next line of ...
  A: The short answer: yes! The explanation: Dialog extensions are supplemental indicators for the actor ...
transformers4/12/2010
  Q: I am thinking about writing a live-action televison series of the Transformers and since it's one of ...
  A: Before you get to the minutia like product placement, let me point out that you are attempting to ...
Which screenwriting books would you recommend?4/7/2010
  Q: As you know, there are many, many books on screenwriting. Obviously, an average reader cannot hope ...
  A: First, Jason, please accept my apology for the delay in reaching you. I actually did respond to ...
Reality TV Show1/28/2010
  Q: how do my girlfriend and i go about submitting a reality tv show idea to a network? we possess an ...
  A: I think the beset way to answer your question is to follow the action-chain backward. How DO you ...
speculate screenplay format1/28/2010
  Q: I downloaded several screenplays and their formats are all different. same with the format tutorials ...
  A: I feel your pain. Every studio, practically every project, has its own formatting standard, and ...
writing credit1/15/2010
  Q: I'm having trouble deciding how to assign credit to a writing venture. It started when I wrote a ...
  A: The Writers Guild handles such questions by empaneling writers to read "blind" copies of competing ...
interactive element1/5/2010
  Q: I love watching a good movie,then buying the movie on dvd,but what if EVERY dvd movie has an ...
  A: I must tell you, this is an idea that has been around a long, long time and with which studios are ...
in & out1/5/2010
  Q: For first time screenwriter who live a cross country, do they have to travel to hollywood to pitch ...
  A: You do have to travel to Hollywood if you want to pitch your ideas, because this is typically done ...
COmedy Movie1/4/2010
  Q: Hey Roger! I have a few questions that I hope you'll be able to answer: Can a movie be a good comedy ...
  A: I'm a lover of plot -- not plottiness or ploddiness -- and dramas are, after all, characters in ...
screenplay on major depression12/25/2009
  Q: I'm writing a screenplay for a class project film on major depression and in my research major ...
  A: What you're asking is actually not a screenwriting question, but a psychology question. Like any ...
Idea for TV show11/16/2009
  Q: I have 2 greats ideas for a reality show. I have told couple of people about it and the response has ...
  A: Generally speaking, this is the question I get asked most often. I'll give you the best answer I ...
Unsolicited material11/15/2009
  Q: I was wondering if there are specific agencies that will read unsolicited material, specifically ...
  A: I do not, and it seems you've done far more research than I ever have. I might suggest you contact ...
re: previous query11/6/2009
  Q: Just sending you a new query as you suggested - I'm wondering if you have heard anything about the ...
  A: No, your perseverance is admirable, but a bit too zealous. Agents don't typically respond to ...
Finding an agent from abroad11/2/2009
  Q: Hoping you can give we some words of wisdom on how to go about finding a US agent for my TV work, ...
  A: This is a new one on me, and being ill-equipped to answer, I have queried someone at my agency. I ...
Actor's direction in a screenplay10/29/2009
  Q: I have always been a bit confused about how much scene direction to put in a screen play. For ...
  A: You're the not the only one who's confused, or at least uncertain. Like the writing of the dialog ...
Red Cloth, Yellow Cloth...10/22/2009
  Q: I recently had my first book published entitled 'Red Cloth, Yellow Cloth' which very basically is ...
  A: Ideally what you need is a literary agent. Call the major talent agencies (Endeavor, CAA, William ...
selling script10/3/2009
  Q: I have done a sci-fi romantic comedy story and now i want to sell it to hollywood,being a first ...
  A: First let me apologize for not getting back to you sooner; I've been ill. Before I can add any ...
Style/ Format: supered images/ double quotes9/16/2009
  Q: 1. What's your take on writing superimposed IMAGES (not text)? Here's one example of how I've ...
  A: 1. I have no issue with writing superimposed images. Make sure it's clear and has a point. 2. If ...
Pitching and Nurturing9/9/2009
  Q: This follows up on a earlier exchange. Writer previously met two-time Oscar winning Producer at ...
  A: This is a tough one because there's no right answer. On the other hand, that means there's no wrong ...
formatting9/9/2009
  Q: If I have 2 scenes going on at the same time but in different places do I have to constantly write ...
  A: If you search my previous answers for formatting, you'll see that there are relatively few strict ...
Historical Story9/4/2009
  Q: I have an idea for a screenplay that is based on actual historical events (think BLOW or AMERICAN ...
  A: First let me say that this is a legal question, and I am not a lawyer. My opinion is just that, an ...
query letter9/4/2009
  Q: two quick questions: 1) When approaching screenwriting agents with a query letter is it better to ...
  A: 1. Why not use both snail mail and email? If you're able to get to the agent via email, you'll know ...
Four Quadrant v. Historical and Intimate8/28/2009
  Q: This four-quadrant business is such a huge topic, and prompts some concern about stories that don't ...
  A: I wish I could help you further, but answering the four-quadrant question was already on the fringe ...
buzzword explanation8/27/2009
  Q: Could you explain the buzzword "four quadrant". It's being used more regularly by production ...
  A: Certainly. "Four quadarant" refers to a movie that is designed to appeal to all "four quadrants" ...
Pitching8/22/2009
  Q: Last spring I met an Oscar(Best Picture) producer who suggested he might be interested in a script ...
  A: First off, congratulations. This is what I call a High Quality Problem. Your description is a ...
Style -- crosscutting and supermposed images8/19/2009
  Q: I'm currently writing a historical screenplay that has lots of crosscutting -- lots of flashback ...
  A: Wow, that's a lot of words about stuff. Okay, I'll try to keep it short and sweet. 1. It's a ...
Movies8/18/2009
  Q: What is the choir that provides dramatic movie backgrounds? The songs without words, just dramatic ...
  A: I'm not a musician, but I believe what you're referring to is simply a choir. It's choral music. ...
font8/17/2009
  Q: I am writing a script to make into a short film with some friends and I am stuck on the font. The ...
  A: It's true, Courier New is old. It's been out for some time. I didn't check out the link you ...
Agents for tv writers8/2/2009
  Q: So, I've written spec scripts for existing shows, one an hour crime drama the other a half hour ...
  A: I'm happy to help in any way I can. But first, let me ask you to search the archives of my answers ...
Selling a cartoon7/30/2009
  Q: I am currently working a cartoon project. I am doing research on writing the script for one. Once ...
  A: There's no agreed-upon answer to these questions. It also depends upon what your creative ...
Screenwriting7/29/2009
  Q: A very simple question really. About the so-called "guide lines" of screenwriting, it is said you ...
  A: Paul, don't tell me you've put more than four lines of action in a row in your screenplay! Listen ...
Screenplay format7/16/2009
  Q: Good day, I was wondering about CAPS, I introduced a character as PROFESSOR HADDEN in my script, ...
  A: *There are no set-in-stone rules for capitals. Typically, the character is introduced in action ...
Questions on finding a screenwriting software program7/12/2009
  Q: Roger. Your comment, <<Julian, I want to re-emphasize that, be it book or software, you're not ...
  A: Classes are great; so are workshops. Make sure you get some feedback from students who have ...
Production companies info7/7/2009
  Q: Good day, I'm ready to ship out some query letters for my script. I'm having trouble finding ...
  A: Rick, you're right in that I'm not really the right person to ask. I've had representation almost ...
Questions on finding a screenwriting software program7/5/2009
  Q: Roger. Thank you very much for your valued feedback and thanks for the link on John Truby. I ...
  A: I'm not aware of any other software that breaks it down by genre in this way, save possibly ...
Searching for a screenwriting software program7/4/2009
  Q: I'm an aspiring screenwriter. I have a screenwriter software program called, Movie Magic ...
  A: You've hit the mother lode with me on this topic; I love screenwriting software and have beta tested ...
Next step7/1/2009
  Q: Mr. Roger, my name is William or Bill Sivels. I am 19 years old and currently writing a cartoon ...
  A: I'll give it to you straight. If you're not an artist with a brilliant and unique style, you're not ...
Flashbacks6/6/2009
  Q: Is it OK to use flashbacks within flashbacks? For example in Saving Pvt Ryan, the entire movie is a ...
  A: It would be wrong of me to say you should never do this. Every rule has its exceptions. But your ...
script length6/4/2009
  Q: I'm writing a very dialogue driven comedy script and when I say dialogue driven I'm saying Gilmore ...
  A: I think it's fair to use Final Draft's "cheating" options to lessen the script length by a few pages ...
first time writers5/24/2009
  Q: once an screenwriter is established how do they or where do they get medical insurance?...for a ...
  A: Once a screenwriter is established by selling at least one screenplay or teleplay, they are required ...
I wonder....4/22/2009
  Q: First of all, thank you for your time. I am from Croatia and English is not my native language. I ...
  A: In order to answer your question as best I can, I must ask you several questions of my own: *What ...
a monologue i wrote4/19/2009
  Q: I'm auditioning for LV Academy For the performing arts and i got frustrated looking for a monologue ...
  A: I'm not reading your monolog because I can't comment on specific examples of writing. However I ...
Formatting4/19/2009
  Q: Roger. Final Draft software dilineates between "Continued"(used at the beginning of a page/end of a ...
  A: Certainly. You may use a "CONT'D" as a "dialog extension" following the character name above any ...
copyrighting4/18/2009
  Q: I have a question about copyrighting that I hope you would be able to answer. I am interested in ...
  A: I'm sorry, but this is a complex legal question I'm not equipped to answer, since I am a writer, not ...
Pitching a TV Show from abroad3/24/2009
  Q: I'm a film student and currently residing in Malaysia. I would like to make a pitch for a TV show in ...
  A: WGA registration and copyright have nothing to do with one another. Although both are forms of ...
how do you open it? Do you state what is seen---the setting or state that the film begins?3/21/2009
  Q: I am trying to write a film treatment for a movie script(s) for a film trilogy. I just don't know ...
  A: It sounds from your question that you're new at writing screenplays. Am I wrong? I ask because ...
Agents & Spec Scripts3/8/2009
  Q: First and foremost I would like to say thank you for donating your time to inform us about this ...
  A: You've got it right. But I would expand my horizons as well. Consider finding producers as well as ...
Example of a TV show format description3/6/2009
  Q: I'd like to register a description of a TV show format with WGA. Can you comment on the document ...
  A: Don't worry too much about the format. Make it one page. Describe the premise as clearly and ...
screenwriting genre?3/5/2009
  Q: Hey, I'm only 15 but i enjoy writing and acting a lot in particular script writing and I write a lot ...
  A: The short answer, James, is that I don't know. In fact, nobody does -- no matter how many ...
Best way to go...3/4/2009
  Q: First I would like to thank you for the opportunity of just asking you a question. I know you don't ...
  A: Given my experience, if it were up to me, I'd do anything I could to get the project made. Even if ...
Halfway finished writing a comedy.. two questions2/25/2009
  Q: Roger, I was researching a question on how to format a certain scene in a movie that a friend and ...
  A: First, sorry for the delay in answering. I've been deep in production. To answer your first ...
Spec Screenplay2/16/2009
  Q: Because I am a new screenwriter, the only hope I have of ever selling a screenplay is to write a ...
  A: First off, don't worry too much about this whole question. If your script is compelling and clearly ...
half hour drama2/13/2009
  Q: hey i'm writing a half hour urban drama thats kind of like one tree hill. i was wondering how would ...
  A: Get copies of the trades -- Variety and Hollywood Reporter -- and look for the pages on TV ...
Writing a play from a movie2/9/2009
  Q: I want to take a movie and turn it into a play. (The movie is not based on a book.) What legal steps ...
  A: If you research the archives of my previous answers, you will find some of the information that may ...
Pilot Package2/6/2009
  Q: I've just finished writing a half-hour comedy pilot and would like to send it out to ...
  A: I would include three things, depending upon their availability. First, a cover letter. This ...
pitch1/29/2009
  Q: I have an concept for something I envision on HBO as a series. Where do I begin? Do I need an ...
  A: If you search my previous answers under relevant keywords, you'll probably find something useful. ...
pause1/28/2009
  Q: if I want to signal a pause in a script, say after a character says something dramatic. How do I ...
  A: Sure, why not. There's no rule about this, except that it's awkward to do it as a dangling ...
Please help1/27/2009
  Q: I fell I have a good grasp of English, and it has always been my best subject. My problem is that I ...
  A: This is not my area of expertise, but I'll answer as best I can. The most important thing is to do ...
a few more questions1/25/2009
  Q: what is a day in the office like? when did you realize you wanted to be a writer? if you could write ...
  A: Describing a day in the office would be too lengthy for this space. I have written since I was ...
POV1/23/2009
  Q: a quick question on formatting. If I have a large part of my story taking place on a film set and I ...
  A: I hate to say it, but if the POV of the "on-set camera" is important to your storytelling, I think ...
i need copyright for a story inspired by a true events?1/18/2009
  Q: I'm a writer and my first script has been optioned. The production company is already working in ...
  A: I am not a lawyer, and the question you are asking is a legal one. I can only offer you my opinion ...
accentuating1/12/2009
  Q: Schulman just a quick question. In a screenplay how do I accentuate a word in a speech? Capital ...
  A: For a long time, italics were forbidden, because in olden days, typewriters couldn't do italics, and ...
CUT TO:1/12/2009
  Q: Schulman I have 2 situations where I don't know how to use the CUT TO:'s. 1) The scene involves ...
  A: This depends upon how much time we spend in the "movie within the movie." If you're going to spend ...
Network with filmmakers/writers/actors1/10/2009
  Q: I have a website that I would like to promote and I believe a great way to establish our image is by ...
  A: Go to the Writers Guild of America West website at www.wga.org. You might also try screenplay.com, ...
Pitching1/9/2009
  Q: I have just written a Christian play and I want the production to be in April of this year. I have ...
  A: As a screenwriter I'm not experienced enough in the theater to be able to answer your question, but ...
phenomena12/11/2008
  Q: there is some phenomena I practice want to take your opinion on ? when I m writing a scene or ...
  A: First, let me apologize for the delay in reply. A technical problem made it impossible for me to ...
Formatting Montage Sequence12/7/2008
  Q: I am currently writing a screenplay that takes place in a restaurant. The main character just got a ...
  A: First let me apologize for the delay in responding. A technical problem prevented me from accessing ...
Inspired By...11/13/2008
  Q: I was inspired by a short story I read (often) at bedtime to my young children. The screenplay I am ...
  A: Oh yes, you must get rights and permission. Imagine if someone read an original screenplay of yours ...
Script selling...11/8/2008
  Q: I noticed you have a great deal of experience in the film industry. I have written a couple of ...
  A: First let me apologize for not getting back to you sooner. A technical problem on the Web side ...
same as above11/8/2008
  Q: Lastnight as i was falling asleep. i had an idea. I'm creative, but i just a construction worker ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. A technical glitch on the website prevented me from ...
Dream10/12/2008
  Q: When I was in 6 grade in Ethiopia, I published a short story and sold few copies to students and ...
  A: Nazreth, if you sent a board of scientists a proposal that was written in a mathematics none of them ...
Script Writing Mentorship - High School Senior Project10/8/2008
  Q: I was wondering if you would be willing to be my mentor for my senior project, which I've decided ...
  A: Bryce, I'll probably have to say no to your flattering request, as my current production schedule ...
Transitions in a Screenplay9/19/2008
  Q: I have read many differing opinions on scene transitions such as CUT TO: and FADE TO:. Is it true ...
  A: There are many differing opinions because there is no factual answer. So leave it me to give you ...
short film option9/17/2008
  Q: I wrote a short play, and an actor in LA wants to option the film rights for a year, for a dollar. ...
  A: "They would take care of you" can mean anything from give you half the profits to ignore you ...
Reasonable option for "Indie Project"9/9/2008
  Q: What is a reasonable purchase price to ask from an "Indie Producer who wants to option my script? ...
  A: Unfortunately this is outside my area of expertise. I leave those sorts of questions to my agent ...
Character diagalog9/4/2008
  Q: Roger, I am working with a partner on this movie script and he has aHow do you write a character ...
  A: If both characters are saying exactly the same thing at the same time, you simply format it thusly: ...
On screnplays9/3/2008
  Q: Right now, i'm trying to figure out which university to transfer to once i do my two years in ...
  A: Every success story in show business is unique; it's one of the fields of endeavor that has no set ...
Selling a script8/29/2008
  Q: For a selling script do I need to put scene numbers? Also is their an agency you can recommend I can ...
  A: No, scene numbers are only used in production scripts. Production scripts are used on the stage ...
Re: Getting into Writing8/28/2008
  Q: How are you? I don't know if I am asking the right question, but I was wondering how would I get ...
  A: I'll be honest in the spirit of trying my best to help. If you're having trouble finding a job ...
Script Software8/21/2008
  Q: I have sent you a few emails regarding a script I have that I would like to have put in script form, ...
  A: Theresa, I apologize if emails have gotten by me -- I don't see any outstanding emails on my ...
Movie Script8/19/2008
  Q: I have a movie script that I would like to have put into script form, I can not find anyone who can ...
  A: There's a lot in my previous answers about this; just search previous answers with keywords like ...
Animated series pitch8/6/2008
  Q: Roger, My friend and I have created a Bible to pitch an animated series. The Bible is 30 pages ...
  A: I'm afraid I can't offer TOO much help here due to my ignorance. Here goes: 1. This sounds good. ...
Inspiration Legality8/3/2008
  Q: I would like to write play based on a book. What are the legal issues of writing a play that will ...
  A: If the book is merely inspiration, you need not do anything. All art is based on the feelings ...
The Pitch!8/2/2008
  Q: I have created a comedic TV show and have my first legitimate pitch next week. Do you have any ...
  A: There's the old story: a writer gets on an elevator with a studio executive at the lobby level. ...
TV writing7/14/2008
  Q: I'm interested in TV soap opera, drama, sitcom writing. Can you directly submit specs directly to ...
  A: First, let me suggest you search the database of my answers (and others' on this site) about this ...
Who is the right person for the rights6/4/2008
  Q: Could you suggest me that Who is the right person who can guide to obtain the rights of American ...
  A: This is outside my area of expertise; I generally answer questions about screenwriting. However, I ...
movie script6/3/2008
  Q: hi my name is rachel and I am currently planning to write a movie script which I would like to take ...
  A: Rachel, this question is extremely general and is almost impossible to answer fully. First, I would ...
question please6/1/2008
  Q: I wan to know whats the factors & standards must be put in film makers mind to let the movies ...
  A: Your English makes it somewhat difficult to completely understand your question; I assume English is ...
need to ask5/31/2008
  Q: because I want to improve my screen write with some shots & camera movement & angles so I required ...
  A: Instead of an online source, allow me to recommend a book I think will answer all your questions and ...
How to write a short cooking segment script5/5/2008
  Q: I am a Registered Dietitian who is creating sports related cooking segments. Can you suggest ...
  A: To better answer your question, I have a couple of questions of my own. --Is this a program in ...
Movie based on a book4/15/2008
  Q: i would like to make a movie based on a book, i already had chosen the book, but I am not sure what ...
  A: Your first step is to option the rights to the book. This means you pay a negotiated sum of money ...
TV4/13/2008
  Q: Schulman, Hello. I have about 500 ideas for reality shows. I won't list them here, but suffice to ...
  A: This question really is unanswerable, because in essence what you're asking is, "How do I have a ...
need to ask4/9/2008
  Q: I m making self studies on screen writing & also plays writing my question is , can you tell me ...
  A: For movie scripts, try Drew's Script-O-Rama on the Internet. For TV scripts, try TWIZ TV on the ...
using film clips in screenplay4/2/2008
  Q: In my screenplay, I would like to have my characters watching an old movie on television. This would ...
  A: The best way to definitively answer this question is for your producers to contact the owners of the ...
sitcom writing question2/21/2008
  Q: I'm writing a half hour sitcom that takes place the majority of time in a post office, thus I have ...
  A: There are no hard-and-fast answers to your questions, but I'll tell you what I would do, and think ...
Questions about adapting scripts2/4/2008
  Q: I have a question regarding the laws about adapting movie scripts or screenplays into scripts for ...
  A: I'm terribly sorry your question has languished; for some reason it didn't drop into my inbox and it ...
Structure1/28/2008
  Q: Schulman, I hope my email finds you well. I am writing today to ask two questions. Firstly, how ...
  A: I wouldn't worry too much about Syd Field, either specifically or generally. You've obviously read ...
Registering My Screenplay1/20/2008
  Q: Schulman, Because of the fact that I am not a native speaker of English, I would like to get an ...
  A: First let me say that your written English is better than 80 percent of the people who write me! ...
Screenwriters and show runners1/13/2008
  Q: I'm a reader of your blog and also a french student. I realize I really don't know well the american ...
  A: I took a look at the LA Times article you mention, and it does assume a bit of knowledge on the ...
what to do now?1/7/2008
  Q: I am 24 years old and have just completed writing my second film script of which I am proud of. It ...
  A: As this is a commonly asked question, I'd like to start by reprinting here a portion of an answer I ...
How to pitch1/7/2008
  Q: My name is Bob Bazer, I am a comedian. Myself and two other comics have written a pilot for a ...
  A: Since this is an oft-asked question, I'd like to start by replaying here a portion of an answer to ...
Cartoon series creator1/5/2008
  Q: I am currently working with an established Producer/friend in trying to get my idea for a cartoon ...
  A: If your project were live action, I'm afraid the picture would be brighter; cartoon creators are ...
Training / Scriptwriting12/8/2007
  Q: Roger Hello. Let me ask a question, maybe you can help me out. I read frequently your Blog. I ...
  A: Let me start by recommending what you NOT do. I took Robert McKee's famous screenwriting seminar, ...
inspired by true events12/6/2007
  Q: I am interested in writing a script based on a true crime story, using many articles and a ...
  A: First, I apologize for not replying sooner. For some reason, I didn't notice your question on my ...
TV (SOAP) DRAMA WRITING12/4/2007
  Q: I have a fair knowledge of writing feature screenplays. Now, I have to write a script for a TV half ...
  A: I don't know if I can be of much help to you; I've written half-hour television and features, but ...
Story Writing11/28/2007
  Q: I would like to start writing stories as a hobby. Not just any stories, but stories about my life. I ...
  A: This is the most difficult question I've ever received. It is at once all-encompassing and ...
now what11/20/2007
  Q: I have written a television script that is roughly thirty pages.. But now I don't know how to get ...
  A: I know you wish an answer; unfortunately, all I have right now are more questions. 1. Is this a ...
Novel to screenplay conversion10/19/2007
  Q: I am an aspiring screenplay writer. I have several books I can envision going to the big screen and ...
  A: I'm very excited that you've gotten this far; you've obviously done a good job of tracking down the ...
Outline10/18/2007
  Q: I'm entering a writing competition, and it's asking for an 'outline' for a pilot episode for a ...
  A: I'd like to answer your question as precisely as possible, so please provide a bit more detail. ...
concerning screenwriting as a serious consideration10/3/2007
  Q: schulman, Firstly, I have been fascinated, like so many others, with movies and books all ...
  A: They often say screenwriting isn't brain surgery, and in no sense is this more true than in terms ...
Great idea for a TV show -- format for submission9/20/2007
  Q: I believe I have a brilliant idea for a TV show. Of course, I realize that every putz in LA thinks ...
  A: A lot of people ask me this question. That's not to say it's pedestrian; rather, it represents the ...
LOL9/16/2007
  Q: using LOL as a primary topic in a screenplay. Who owns the copyright?
  A: First let me say I'm not a lawyer, and this is a legal question. Anything I say should be taken in ...
Multiple submissions9/9/2007
  Q: Roger, theatres take so long in replying to submissions (understandably so) that I'm wondering if ...
  A: Robert, I hope I haven't kept you waiting too long, but since I'm not qualified to answer your ...
Adapting my own manuscript into a play9/7/2007
  Q: I have my own manuscript, a memoir, which I want to adapt into a one person solo play. Most books ...
  A: I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "process," but I'll take my best guess and do what I can to ...
TV drama8/28/2007
  Q: Do you have any tips for writing serial drama for TV? I am working on a story in eight parts and ...
  A: I'm sorry, this is one of the things that I have never done, and I don't feel qualified to answer. ...
idea protection7/13/2007
  Q: I'm registered with the writers guild of America and I signed a submission release form with a ...
  A: First and foremost, I must tell you that I am not an attorney and that this is a question for ...
screenwriting7/10/2007
  Q: I want to write a screenplay that is satirical. I know exactly what it is about. How do I start?
  A: There are as many ways to begin a screenplay as there are writers. Some like to write character ...
1st time pilot writer6/22/2007
  Q: I'm re writing my 1 hour drama, my question is by what page should all your main characters be ...
  A: There's no hard and fast rule here. Generally speaking, the sooner the better. If your script has ...
Cost of script6/18/2007
  Q: I have just finished my script. The genre is Science-Fiction Action. I think that my ideas are ...
  A: This is a good question, but difficult to answer. There are so many variables in determing what a ...
This might be a stupid question6/15/2007
  Q: Are there any rights that need to be aquired to write and produce a story inspired by the bible.
  A: There are no stupid questions. To my knowledge, there are absolutely no rights to the Bible. It is ...
Where to go next?5/26/2007
  Q: i have a burning question regarding film scripts. I've finished mine, and will be registering it ...
  A: I doubt very much that any studio will consider your script unless it is submitted by an accredited ...

All Questions in This Category

Writing Plays/Screenwriting

Roger S. H. Schulman

Top Expert on this page